What would be a good car for my parents?

Old E350.

Make them get a Camry: Endless opportunity to mock them.

Actually, get them a beige tarp and call it a Camry.

Hmmm, you might be right. Tarps do tend to be rather dynamic... All those curves and billows...

I think everybody is missing the big picture. Camry's are great cars, Not so fast or sporty but awesome freeway and cruising cars. My mom has an 03 lx 4cyl and it still gets(with 180k) 29/30mpg. We bought the car with 200 miles on and the only reason it had that is my mom HATES abs and it was delivered form another dealer without it.

The ONLY thing they have done to the car is brakes and tires. That's all it has needed. It went for the final check up at 160k and it's been a great car ever since. It has survived a collision with a honda accord a tracker and two deer. Still drives well.

Yeah its bland but get an up kitted one and it would be a killer car for years to come.

'06+ Mercs are the only ones to go for, but there's still the price of maintanence. If there's an Indy garage around, labor costs will be comparable to 'Yota dealers, but parts will be more.

Your parents sound like mine, they just want ?ber-reliable transportation. If they will not budge oN the Camry, at least try to get them into a CPO Lexus ES- at least it'll be more comfy and a bit nicer.

Newer B7 A4's would be a good choice too. A6's are even better. You can give them the "but it's Consumer Reports Reccomended" when they question the reliablity. Really though, CarFax reports and service histories are the biggest tellers in what's good and bad.

Your parents sound like mine, they just want ?ber-reliable transportation. If they will not budge oN the Camry, at least try to get them into a CPO Lexus ES- at least it'll be more comfy and a bit nicer.
READ: Don't let them get a Camry. Make sure it's a Camry with some wood. :p

I think everybody is missing the big picture. Camry's are great cars, Not so fast or sporty but awesome freeway and cruising cars. My mom has an 03 lx 4cyl and it still gets(with 180k) 29/30mpg. We bought the car with 200 miles on and the only reason it had that is my mom HATES abs and it was delivered form another dealer without it.

The ONLY thing they have done to the car is brakes and tires. That's all it has needed. It went for the final check up at 160k and it's been a great car ever since. It has survived a collision with a honda accord a tracker and two deer. Still drives well.

Yeah its bland but get an up kitted one and it would be a killer car for years to come.

"Kitted out"?

I smell rice.

How about about a volkswagen CC? Free maintenance for 3 years. You'd only be able to get the sport model but IMO looks way better then the camry, mazda 6, horribly redesigned legacy (2010s) and I don't see very many at all here.

READ: Don't let them get a Camry. Make sure it's a Camry with some wood. :p

Shhhh....I work for Lexus... :p

Not.

I hate Camry's, but the seats in the Lexi are among pretty damn good.

I'm going to second a G8. Local dealers are advertising some for $24k (usually means "1-only", but it's still a good car). Support the Australian American car industry! :D

The terminology "Kitted" and "Killer" automatically made me think of "Gangstaaa rides".

Thanks. To answer any questions, they are trying to buy new and they want to have a very reliable car. And yes the camry is just a boring tarp.

my dad loves his hyundai sonata. for the money you really can't touch it

Except the suspension is so soft it gives me nausea.

No, seriously, it does.

Last edited:
'06+ Mercs are the only ones to go for, but there's still the price of maintanence. If there's an Indy garage around, labor costs will be comparable to 'Yota dealers, but parts will be more.

Newer B7 A4's would be a good choice too. A6's are even better. You can give them the "but it's Consumer Reports Reccomended" when they question the reliablity. Really though, CarFax reports and service histories are the biggest tellers in what's good and bad.

Agreed, a A4 2.0T quattro is an excellent choice. Granted, maintenance will be an issue past the warranty mark, but for the most part they're very reliable. One of our shop cars is a 2007 2.0t Quattro, it survives a daily trip from Brooklyn to Long Island without issues.