Frankfurt 2009 Preview: Maserati GranCabrio unveiled!

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Looks fucking awesome! DO WANT. :drool:

Frankfurt 2009 Preview: Maserati GranCabrio unveiled!

Source: Autoblog

After what seems like years of eager anticipation, and with the weeks ticking down until the Frankfurt Motor Show, Maserati has finally unveiled its long-awaited convertible model. With the Maserati GranCabrio, it looks like the Italian automaker has done a beautiful job of translating the Pininfarina-designed GranTurismo into an open-top machine.

The questions on all our minds as we saw an endless stream of heavily-disguised test mules were whether the new convertible would have a fabric or metal roof, retain its four seats or sacrifice the back row (like its predecessor, the Spyder), and which engine would be found under that long hood.

Now we've got our answers. Unlike the Ferrari California, the GranCabrio features a cloth roof that deploys over the four-place passenger compartment, saving both weight and space. In fact, it's the first four-seat convertible in the company's history, and boasts what Maserati says is the longest wheelbase on the market. The Trident marque has also chosen to fit the convertible with the 4.7-liter 433-hp V8 from the GranTurismo S, bypassing the base 4.2-liter unit and mating it to the highly-rated ZF six-speed automatic. The new Maser's public debut is scheduled for the Frankfurt show next month, but in the meantime, follow the jump to read the press release and check out the quartet of images in the gallery below.

[Source: Maserati]

PRESS RELEASE

THE NEW MASERATI GRANCABRIO TO PREMIERE IN FRANKFURT

The Maserati GranCabrio, the first four-seater convertible in the Trident carmaker's history, will make its world wide debut on September 15 at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show. The introduction of the GranCabrio ? the Trident's third prong ? completes Maserati's product line-up that now consists of three different families of models: Quattroporte, GranTurismo, GranCabrio.

The GranCabrio represents the very essence of Maserati in terms of open-top cars. It's a Maserati in the purest sense of the word: from the unmistakable style by Pininfarina to the spacious interior, from the craftsmanship of each detail to the driving pleasure and performance. The Maserati GranCabrio enriches all five senses in a shared open-air experience, without sacrificing comfort and performance. A dream car designed and built for men and women who love to live life in an understated ? though sophisticated ? manner. Like all the made in Maserati open-top convertibles: special cars aimed at refined connoisseurs.

In fact the GranCabrio is continuing the Maserati tradition in open-top cars, joining models that have played such an important part in the Modena carmaker's history such as the 1950 A6G Frua Spyder, 1960 3500GT Vignale Spyder, 1964 Mistral Spyder, 1968 Ghibli Spyder and 2001 Spyder designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, the car that marked Maserati's return to the United States. In the footsteps of tradition, the GranCabrio opens a new chapter, because never before have four-seater top-down models ever been produced at the Viale Ciro Menotti Maserati factory. Four proper seats, so that the rear passengers are not merely supporting actors, but co-stars of the journey.

The GranCabrio is powered by a 4.7 litre V8, 323 kW engine and is the convertible with the longest wheelbase on the market. The GranCabrio's roof is strictly canvas-made, emphasizing the link with the Maserati tradition.

grancabrio-1.jpg

grancabrio-3.jpg

grancabrio-2.jpg

grancabrio-4.jpg

Back seats you can actually fit a real person in? What madness is that?

Should've taken out the rear seats.

So it's basically a chopped GranTurismo. Still very nice to look at...

I'm with Polly on this one...

It just doesn't float my boat. I love the front grille and the overall stance...but those front lights...I'm not saying they are bad, but they could've been better. I don't know how, but right now they look too generic...like taken from a Lexus.

Hot, but it'd be better with two seats.

at first it was OH MY ******* BLOODY GODNESS and then i saw 4 seat and then i shouted WHY MASERATI WHY MASERATIS DO THAT TO US!!!!

It's okay.

It's neither here nor there though, it's not rediculous (good) or rediculous (bad).

It's kind of, dare I say it, average. For a Maserati.

It looks a lot like an Aston clone. Not that that is bad, it just been done.

If I was super ritch, I'd get a hardtop for me and one of those for my girlfriend

not that I actually have one of course, but come on, i'm reasonably sure I would if I had enough money for two of those <_<

I have a chubby right now from that car.

JK. But that thing is brilliant, four seats or not.