2000 Camaro SS

Yes this is my car, when I get back from Florida I will post some more pictures. Anyways I could sit here all day like that M5 guy did and tell all of you that I won't ever gun it or go really fast. I'm not perfect, I'm 16 and yes this is a VERY powerful car. I have gave it some gas going down a highway. Does that mean I went 140+ no, I went from 35 to 65 when I was getting onto the highway and that's when I really got how powerful the car was and why I should never get close to the limit of the car. I'm also not the type of guy who goes "yeah hommie check out my whip, yea dog its so siiiick dog let me drift for you".

I have drove the car for less than 24 hours and 3 people tried to race me already. 2 of those people I ignored and the third I was about to go for it when I remembered how fast it was on the highway and so I didn't. Honestly I want to get used to this car properly by taking it to the drag strip and seeing what it can do there. And even once I get to know the car very well I know that it will only take one turn too quickly to fuck up my car, possible me, and worse, possibly someone else.
I'm not going to really say anymore than that because actions speak much louder than words. There for the only real way I'm going to prove to you guys that I'm not stupid or irresponsible is by letting time pass without wrecking it and by keeping this thread updated with the things I am going to do to it.

/rant

Also actually I think manuals are easier to drive slowly than automatics. All I have to do is pop it into 5th on the highway and I'm all good. And I'm going to change the 10 bolt to a 12 bolt and, I'm also thinking about switching to 3.73 gears, but that will come down the line. The main mods I'm thinking about is a x pipe exhaust system + headers, LS6 intake manifold + intake, or cams (probably that will come first).

I'm not going to really say anymore than that because actions speak much louder than words. There for the only real way I'm going to prove to you guys that I'm not stupid or irresponsible is by letting time pass without wrecking it and by keeping this thread updated with the things I am going to do to it.

Yep. I wish you luck.

I have drove the car for less than 24 hours and 3 people tried to race me already.
I will go ahead and say this.

Have fun in a straight line. don't bother trying to turn quickly. Shouldn't be much of a problem. The races that you do encounter (don't tell me you won't race it for fun sometimes, thats a lie) will be in a straight line. In your school, there will be people that want to race you with their M3's and what not. I reccomend telling them to meet you at a drag strip sometime (Irwindale, if its still open) and show them there. There will be instances where you will want to show off (I was 16 not long ago at all, I know what it feels like). Be careful though. As you drive around, you will find the time and place for that to occur.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest once you get better wheels and tires (Stock Chrome SS wheels or Corvette wheels) you go do some Auto-X, 1/4 drag strip, and a track day.

This way if you do loose control (which will be very, very easy with a 325hp LS1 under hood) all you will loose is some rubber off the tires. And not your life/the car.

I had a LT1 Z28, and that was a scary fucking car.

Best of luck with it.

Sell those mothafucken' rims. NOW.
Btw, I wasn't gona play the spoiled kid card.

Nice car. Do make the right decisions with it, and good luck.

EDIT: btw I heard changing the plugs on the V8 camaro takes forever? That true?

Last edited:
Nice car. Do make the right decisions with it, and good luck.

EDIT: btw I heard changing the plugs on the V8 camaro takes forever? That true?

Yea I've heard that too, by looking at it. It seems the headers get in the way. I can't really remember, I need to look at the engine again.

You can go get some free pizza tomorrow I hear.

Yea I can, but I'm in Florida on vacation while my maro is in California. Of course the one day that I can flaunt my mullet and my wife/cousin, I can't go. :(

Looks really clean, nice find. Sell the rims on craigslist and get some anthracite ZO6 wheels for auto-x. They're everywhere, so you should be able to find a decent used set. Don't forget new tires for the original set too.

Yeah I was thinking about some ZedO6 wheels, but I also want to get some black rims along with some black lights (not smoked lights). I think it will tie into the black and red theme of the car.

Yea I've heard that too, by looking at it. It seems the headers get in the way. I can't really remember, I need to look at the engine again.

Yea I can, but I'm in Florida on vacation while my maro is in California. Of course the one day that I can flaunt my mullet and my wife/cousin, I can't go. :(

Yeah I was thinking about some ZedO6 wheels, but I also want to get some black rims along with some black lights (not smoked lights). I think it will tie into the black and red theme of the car.

I'm sure you can find some Black Zo6 wheels easily in Cali...

And Black and Red works very well of F-bodies :)

Oh, I'm also surprised no one mentioned it yet, take good care of that catfish! :lol:

The internet tells me that your car has a 4-5 crash test rating, which means you probably will not die. As far as reckless/fast driving I would abide by the bunny law, (If you can spot and stop for a bunny that jumps in front of your car, then you spot and stop for children, bikers, other cars, and speed traps. ) and the never go faster than you can control the car law. If it starts to slip slow the fuck down.

Have fun :)

Yes this is my car, when I get back from Florida I will post some more pictures. Anyways I could sit here all day like that M5 guy did and tell all of you that I won't ever gun it or go really fast. I'm not perfect, I'm 16 and yes this is a VERY powerful car. I have gave it some gas going down a highway. Does that mean I went 140+ no, I went from 35 to 65 when I was getting onto the highway and that's when I really got how powerful the car was and why I should never get close to the limit of the car. I'm also not the type of guy who goes "yeah hommie check out my whip, yea dog its so siiiick dog let me drift for you".

I have drove the car for less than 24 hours and 3 people tried to race me already. 2 of those people I ignored and the third I was about to go for it when I remembered how fast it was on the highway and so I didn't. Honestly I want to get used to this car properly by taking it to the drag strip and seeing what it can do there. And even once I get to know the car very well I know that it will only take one turn too quickly to fuck up my car, possible me, and worse, possibly someone else.

/rant

Also actually I think manuals are easier to drive slowly than automatics. All I have to do is pop it into 5th on the highway and I'm all good. And I'm going to change the 10 bolt to a 12 bolt and, I'm also thinking about switching to 3.73 gears, but that will come down the line. The main mods I'm thinking about is a x pipe exhaust system + headers, LS6 intake manifold + intake, or cams (probably that will come first).

If you're gonna pay the money it takes to get a 12-bolt... that's some SERIOUS money, you should put 4.10s in it. 4.10s with the T56 will get you around 75 mph at 2000 RPM. You could even go 4.56's and be at a little over 2000 RPMs at 65 mph. These T56's let you get away with some insane gear ratios that most guys only dream of in street cars.

If you're gonna stay with the 10-bolt, dont go higher than 3.73's. Above 3.73 the pinion gear is so small and the teeth so far apart that more and more torque is put on fewer and fewer teeth and it will break much easier. That said, if you put slicks on it (I suggest slicks for a manual as opposed to drag radials, but if you learn the ins and outs DR's will work too) it will break as it is even with the 3.42s. You're already making more than enough power to break that thing if you put some real dancing shoes on it.

Also, I echo all the guys saying to take it to a track. Take it to an Autocross, hell, take it to a road course for a track day. You'll learn how to control it and get your jollies off at a track where it's legal so maybe you can keep it cool and collected on the street.

Last edited:
Oh well I didn't know that a 12 bolt costs lots of money, but is there a cheaper alternative than that? I've heard a car with stock power, stock gearing, and some drag radials can break a 10 bolt. I don't really want to go higher than 3.73 because then the gas millage becomes utterly terrible, not that it is very good stock.

The internet tells me that your car has a 4-5 crash test rating, which means you probably will not die. As far as reckless/fast driving I would abide by the bunny law, (If you can spot and stop for a bunny that jumps in front of your car, then you spot and stop for children, bikers, other cars, and speed traps. ) and the never go faster than you can control the car law. If it starts to slip slow the fuck down.

Have fun :)

Short of a full roll cage and safety harness nothing will protect you from a 50+ mph impact other than luck. Hell anything above 30 is risky.

Oh well I didn't know that a 12 bolt costs lots of money, but is there a cheaper alternative than that? I've heard a car with stock power, stock gearing, and some drag radials can break a 10 bolt. I don't really want to go higher than 3.73 because then the gas millage becomes utterly terrible, not that it is very good stock.

I wouldn't worry about power now. The car is fast enough as is (yes this is coming from someone who will soon have a 160+hp Midget) focus on handling what you have now, then spend it suspension.

I'm late to the thread (as usual these days).

I might as well not say anything because I know this is going to turn into a spoiled rich kid who is gonna kill him self with his car thread, but please don't. I know this car is a powerful car and I'm not an idiot driver.

Well it doesn't help that you live in Santa Monica, go to school in the Palisades. What is helping you is those wheels cause all they say to me is "odelay, vato!"

Cheech-And-Chong-Posters.jpg

So uhhh when do we get a picture of you standing in front of the car with a Bon-jovi shirt on and a mullet? :rofl:

In some seriousness, just do yourself (and your probably worried parents) a favor and if you decide to have some fun in malibu, keep at a slow pace, thats a good chunk of power and a not particularly sophisticated chassis for a new driver.

Last edited:
Oh well I didn't know that a 12 bolt costs lots of money, but is there a cheaper alternative than that? I've heard a car with stock power, stock gearing, and some drag radials can break a 10 bolt.

That was me, and it can, but that's if you put some really sticky tires on it and sidestep the clutch. If you keep it on street tires you'll be fine. You'll be fine on DR's for a while as long as you dont just dump the clutch every time. But eventually it will pop. It's the sudden shock loads that break gears. The shock load will only be as great as teh amount of grip the rear tires have. Street tires wont be a problem.

I don't really want to go higher than 3.73 because then the gas millage becomes utterly terrible, not that it is very good stock.

Well that's what Im telling you. With a T56 you have a .50 overdrive gear. You can go to 4.56's and get better gas mileage than autos with 2.73's in many cases. The LS motors get excellent gas mileage to begin with and since you have a HUGE 6th gear in the T56 you can put a VERY short rear end gear in the back and your gas mileage will be just fine. This aint your grandpappy's 3 speed automatic.

A 12-bolt or a Ford 9 inch is gonna cost you around $2000-$3000. if you cant afford that, dont go over 3.73's just because with such a small pinion gear it's liable to break at 4.10s or higher.

Last edited:
Short of a full roll cage and safety harness nothing will protect you from a 50+ mph impact other than luck. Hell anything above 30 is risky.
Someone hit me at 40 and I walked away with nothing but soreness. Didn't even total the car. :dunno: 4 star car with seat belts did just fine.