NJ: Do you believe in god? No? No, you can't have kids, not yours.

No one here claimed to disprove the existence of god.

It is inherently impossible to ever prove god does not exist. No matter what is discovered believers can always claim god made it that way.

The burden of proof is on those who claim god exists.

You say 'wave the wand of logic' like it is a bad thing to use logic.

I felt like going for another lap.

You havent really poseted anything new so I'm thinking ure still sittin in the pit lane :p

Ugh. Just because you don't believe in the "magical-man-from-above", doesn't mean you're a empty, shallow, morally bankrupt person. Ironically, it's usually the other way around. Because you know, morals should be dictated by an someone you can't communicate with and at the very least (if I'm wrong and there is a supreme being) have no idea of what they would morally want you to do.

That everyone, is the definition of being immoral.

And yes, I have not read this whole thread. So bullocks to you all!

Well, the bible or other holy text tells them what they should morally do. And the same argument almost verbatim can be used for the other side as well.(you've probably got the same chance of communicating with your politicians than with your god)

Also, immoral means deliberately doing something wrong bases on your societies standards of right and wrong...but now I'm just arguing just to argue.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, the bible or other holy text tells them what they should morally do. And the same argument almost verbatim can be used for the other side as well.(you've probably got the same chance of communicating with your politicians than with your god)

Also, immoral means deliberately doing something wrong bases on your societies standards of right and wrong...but now I'm just arguing just to argue.:rolleyes:

According to whose morals? If you want to use the bible then it's ok to enslave others, stone your children for being disobedient, kill the victim of a rape, and hundreds of other acts that the vast majority of the world (minus the middle east) would consider immoral. The interesting thing is that so many people in "christian" nations turn to the bible for moral guidance and condemn the actions of Arab states - actions which are condoned in the bible.

So yeah, nice moral compass, the bible. :rolleyes:

I think you've quite misunderstood my stance on the issue :p They CLAIM to use the bible as their source of morality. And to Christians' credit Jesus if he indeed existed was probably one of the greatest moral revolutionaries of all time.
atheists_for_jesus_tshirt-p235950353501656453lxvm_400.jpg

Sorry, I understood what you were saying, I was just reinforcing your point.

The bible is either a crappy moral compass because it can be used to justify anything (and is), or because no one follows it.

Sorry, I understood what you were saying, I was just reinforcing your point.

The bible is either a crappy moral compass because it can be used to justify anything (and is), or because no one follows it.

The Bible is a bad "moral" guide for those reasons. If anyone wants to follow Jesus, that's a good thing- regardless of his "holiness" all that we know about him was very good, and there is little problem with using him as a moral compass.

But the Bible itself- I couldn't agree more. The old testament is, in many places, frankly disturbing.

The problem is that churches use the New Testament for all the PR stuff but the Old Testament when telling their members to go out and protest/vote against things that are different from them.

You guys really don't like the Old Testament? I think it's great. They ought to make it into a series of movies. They sure wouldn't be anything like that guilt trip "Passion of the Christ". I mean, you've got all sorts of screwed up relationships, heroes, underdogs, massive war, plagues, epic amounts of destruction, people getting turned into salt for fucks sake! Sounds like the best movie ever to me.

You guys really don't like the Old Testament? I think it's great. They ought to make it into a series of movies. They sure wouldn't be anything like that guilt trip "Passion of the Christ". I mean, you've got all sorts of screwed up relationships, heroes, underdogs, massive war, plagues, epic amounts of destruction, people getting turned into salt for fucks sake! Sounds like the best movie ever to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/