10 reasons why your next executive saloon has to be the Genesis 4.6.

Ladies and gents some of you--no most of you--entirely missed the point of the Genesis. And thus missed the point of the thread. Why spend literally $10,000's more for a Merc, BMW, Audi or Lexus when you can get the same or more luxury features for less. PLUS, it has a great engine and goes like stink. Some of you who are brand snobs--well all of you actually--are just sad. Audi was a new kid on the block at one time and so was Lexus--now they are regarded in the same vein as Mercedes and BMW. Infiniti as well now has a certain amount of respect. Why does it matter that it isn't flashy? Jaguar and Audi have been building brillaint executive saloons for DECADES that were most certainly conservative--aka boring. Lexus is by no means exciting to look at either.

Newsflash, executive saloons are about the following:
  • Luxury
  • Toys
  • Comfort
  • Relaxation

Most people who buy an executive saloon do not care about the following:
  • Carbon footprint
  • Gas mileage
  • Stiff sporty suspension

It absolutely does not matter what it looks like on the outside boring or not. Hyundai is not selling this as a sport saloon, Hyundai is selling this as an alternative to the usual suspects while costing less. IT IS NOT A COMPROMISE BUYING A GENESIS OVER A MERC OR BMW. This car puts out Mercedes E550 numbers +\- straight and turning, has more interior volume than its competition and does all this while not costing you a bloody fortune. It outpaces the Chrysler 300C--which has a much larger displacement V8--as does the E550. Yet the Genesis 4.6 gets better gas mileage than both. The Lexus has similar size, space and kit yet is double the price. Audi, well as much as I love Audi, it cannot compete with the Genesis 4.6 saloon. BMW? Please, the idrive and dashboard alone are way too fiddly. Plus who wants to spend that much money on a BMW that isn't the ultimate driving machine. The 7-series isn't even the ultimate driving machine in its own country. In 10 or 15 years time no one will even question Hyundai's quality and automotive build quality.

You don't like the way it looks fine. You don't like the noise it makes fine. You somehow think it is unconfortable fine. You prefer to spend literally twice the price just to have a German or Jaguar badge fine. Somehow dismissing the fact that this car is a good car that is fantastic value for money is not or that it is somehow a North Korean communist Kim Jong Il box. That's just plain retarded.

What does Hyundai pay you? <_<

No, I thought I'd introduce a good debatable subject. I'm not surprised that the brand snobbery extruded itself, I AM surprised at comments like they are junk, Hyundai's suck and it supports Kim Jong Il. :rolleyes:

As others have noted, Toyota was in the same situation in 1989 when they launched the LS400.

It hasn't taken Hyundai as long to get to the same point... which is why Toyota execs say that the car company they most fear is Hyundai.

Thing is it took Hyundai less time to do a Luxury model than Toyota. :mrgreen:

OW FOR GODS SAKE!

I't a hyundai....its crap bought by people who have absolutly no idea what a car is, how it works and how to drive it properly....why are we even having this discussion? nobody with 1 gram of petrolheadness in his body is ever gonna buy a hyundai, no matter how good (they claim) their latest box of plastic and drywallscrews is, it will never have something every car worth talking about must have : soul.

NEXT!

Says the man who drives a DODGE RAM PICKUP TRUCK. <_<

It's a shame that this thread has descended into a civil discussion.

Why, did you want to flame some people and continue to spout some brand snobbery?

Everybody's such a fucking badge whore.
Including my mother.

"It's a Hyundai, no."

That's a sad attitude. :blink: Its such a great car for the money.

Why, did you want to flame some people and continue to spout some brand snobbery?
No. I just like to have fun when I talk about cars and civil discussion is not fun for me because I can not make outlandish references to the Nazis.

Also, read my posts. Although I joke about badge-snobbery my main point is a clearly made and irrefutable fact; every car in their entire history (except for *maybe* that Nissan 350Z knock-off that Dogbert posted) has been a reprehensible piece of shit. If we awoke tomorrow to find that haiundai had suddenly ceased to exist and all the cars they had ever made had just vanished into thin air what would we have lost?

Nothing. Exactly.

Last edited:
Newsflash, executive saloons are about the following:
  • Luxury
  • Toys
  • Comfort
  • Relaxation

You forgot one crucial thing: status.

This is the biggest problem with this car. BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Jaguar....these are all cars which, when you drive one, announce to the world "I have made it". While they are expensive they also look expensive and that my friend is the deciding factor here.

Now I should point out, that while I don't exactly like Hyundai, this car I have no issues with. I wouldn't buy one, but I do think it's a damn fine car.

However it still shouldn't be marketed as a luxury saloon targeted to fight with the big boys, because in real life it will get outgunned, badly. I think everyone here realises that on paper this car is perfectly good and is superior in every way to it's rivals. But the thing is, the world doesn't work like that. When all is said and done, some fancy words and facts don't mean shit. Not one self concious highly paid executive is going to buy this, because the message the Genesis gives out is all wrong: BMW, Lexus and the rest symbolise power, success, money. The Genesis doesn't. And that is what matters in the business world.

I say again: I don't hate this car. I hate the company that builds it, so on that point I agree with Austere. But this particular car is good, very good.....as a car. But that's where it ends. The Genesis is "only" a very good car. And in the executive market that is not enough. The problem isn't in the car, it's in the marketing.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years Hyundai is one of the big boys. But as of yet, they are not and if they ever want to join the major leagues, they have to step up their game big time.

JCE said:
Says the man who drives a DODGE RAM PICKUP TRUCK. <_<

Some comeback from a man with 1990's Camaro...

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if our friend JCE is somehow connected to a Hyundai dealer :mrgreen:

The last time I saw conviction like this, was when a colleague tried to push an Opel on me -- his brother had an Opel dealership ;)

Last edited:

This is the biggest problem with this car. BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Jaguar....these are all cars which, when you drive one, announce to the world "I have made it". While they are expensive they also look expensive and that my friend is the deciding factor here.

That's rather petty don't you think true or not?

Some comeback from a man with 1990's Camaro...

I'm not the one insulting a car for being crap--or in this case an entire car company--when a Dodge Ram Pickup truck doesn't exactly ooze build quality itself. If I were to come in and say first off "yea the Lexus LS' interior is just pure junk" or "yea that Kia's interior is just rubbish" then that would be a hypocritical statement since I own two cars with less than stellar interior build quality myself. But since I am NOT insulting the Hyundai for being a crap car or company no one cannot bring MY car into this discussion. I'm being positive, he (they) are being negative. ;)

Don't forget I own a Chrysler Town & Country too. Two cars that most of the world hates in one form or fashion.

I'm beginning to wonder if our friend JCE is somehow connected to a Hyundai dealer :mrgreen:

The last time I saw conviction like this, was when a colleague tried to push an Opel on me -- his brother had an Opel dealership ;)

I still am contracted with a local Ford dealer to provide my services when needed in whatever capacity that doesn't involve sales. Why would I have any ties with Hyundai? :mrgreen:

Again, Lexus did not start out this way 20 years ago. They were Toyotas with fancy badges and high option levels. They had no prestige, but people bought them because they were good cars and priced several thousands of dollars below the European competition. Now that they have gained a reputation, they have raised their prices to be inline with the Euros.

Hyundai is following the exact same path, and the "It's a Hyundai, noone will want it" comments are exactly what people used to say about Lexus.

I'd rather pay more and get a BMW 5 series or similar. I just know this can't be as good.

Does the term "envy of the unpropertied" ring a bell? :mrgreen:

Knowing that Hyundai will probably never outrank Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Lexus in the public consciousness, it's easy to play the underdog and blame others of being "brand whores", while at the same time simply covering up the fact of probably never being able to afford one of the mentioned anyway.

Or you have the money and just wanna be a rebel. But that's like saying "No, I'm not reading Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, because everyone else reads them and I don't care how good the stories are -- I just don't wanna be comformable and wanna show my difference from the masses with that gesture". Boycotting good stuff because everyone else knows its qualities, is stupid. It's like avoiding a good restaurant, just because it became more popular through its food.

Seriously, if people have to justify buying a cheaper, less prestigious car with accusig others of being "brand whores", they give away more of their inner mental state, than they think.

Having said that, I have to confess that I am a "brand whore", yes. I go for reputation but not blindly! It means I'm not blindly buying anything a particular company produces. If anything, "brand whores" are much more aware and conscious about what they spend their money on. We accept that in general a higher price also has a damn good reason (at least in a market with a healthy competition). And we "brand whores" are also usually much more satisfied afterwards with what we bought.

So if you wanna be a rebel and not a "brand whore", fine. But you should look for something more exciting and rebellious than a Hyundai, then ;) A Jaaaaag for example ;)

Because good car or not, the Genesis doesn't play very well in the "me against the establishment" game -- mainly because it bluntly tries to imitate the establishment without developing an own identity and therefore screams out "Cheap imitation!" to everyone with some knowledge of cars ;)

P.S.: I think that every time someone calls out "Brand whore!" in a discussion, there should be an immidiate red writing blinking in the thread, saying "Sanctimoniousness" -- because everyone of us is a brand whore somewhere, and be it only because you prefer Coke over Pepsi or McDonald's over Burger King.

Me, I prefer Mercedes over Audi or BMW ;)

So what you're saying is that Hyundai is a failed attempt to be punk rock? Thats so punk!

OW FOR GODS SAKE!

I't a hyundai....its crap bought by people who have absolutly no idea what a car is, how it works and how to drive it properly....why are we even having this discussion? nobody with 1 gram of petrolheadness in his body is ever gonna buy a hyundai, no matter how good (they claim) their latest box of plastic and drywallscrews is, it will never have something every car worth talking about must have : soul.

NEXT!

Says the man who drives a Dodge pick-up truck.

I'd rather pay more and get a BMW 5 series or similar. I just know this can't be as good.

And this is the "brand whoring" I was refering to earlier. Complete and utter dedication to a brand and completely ignoring the competition (or in this case the "up and coming") as you "just know this can't be good" without actually trying it.

I know from experiance that what I want as far as an interior, engine, and brand, is a BMW 5 series. If I was to get something 'better', I'd be dissapointed it's not what I was looking for. Do you get me?

So what you're saying is that Hyundai is a failed attempt to be punk rock? Thats so punk!

I think we all know that only the Subaru Impreza can claim to be punk rock.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLhfxI8T2cU[/YOUTUBE]

The problem is more that everyone else is a brand whore even if you aren't. Sure you can get the Hyundai and it can be very good and you can enjoy it, but if you had a BMW, people would be more impressed. That may or may not be important to you.

It's a part of the attraction, but not the only reason. And this goes for most people, not just me.

The problem is more that everyone else is a brand whore even if you aren't. Sure you can get the Hyundai and it can be very good and you can enjoy it, but if you had a BMW, people would be more impressed. That may or may not be important to you.

I've always thought that was a great excuse to waste money.

I've never been one for "keeping up with the Jones.'" Otherwise I might actually have at a combined HP in my cars to = that of any one of my friends single cars. (all have over 300hp in theirs, Mine might get lucky to reach 215hp combined :lol: )

Yes, the status thing is a definite truth, but COME ON. Hyundai's pulling a JDM maneuver.

I think we can all agree that the best car for around $40K USD is a Bentley Turbo R.

http://img199.imageshack.**/img199/6416/tn1l.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.**/img15/457/1246100869image498.jpg

Plus it's got nearly 300hp and 500 lb/ft of torque? Yes please!

For the price of the Genesis you can really only get into the entry-level and less-equipped Beamers; however a German badge still gets pull from people who aren't car saavy (although the knowledge that the three series and the like are the bargain beamers is still pretty common). Hyundai definitely will be a company about having the most bang for your buck which is a goal that most manufacturers would like to meet and will be the market Hyundai targets until their badge gets stronger like Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus.

I think we can all agree that the best car for around $40K USD is a Bentley Turbo R.

http://img199.imageshack.**/img199/6416/tn1l.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.**/img15/457/1246100869image498.jpg

Plus it's got nearly 300hp and 500 lb/ft of torque? Yes please!

They weren't that good. Per some people I know that own or owned them, they're hugely unreliable and stupid expensive to fix.

For $40K, you can buy an X308 XJR, pulley it and have more power than the Turbo R can produce.

And have $20K left over.

I'm impressed with what hyundai have done with the Genisis Sedan and coupe. But they are still un cool in my books. It'll take a lot for that to happen... and time.

They weren't that good.
All reviews I've read have said otherwise.

Per some people I know that own or owned them, they're hugely unreliable and stupid expensive to fix.
This is most likely true. On the other hand, I've spoken to a member of the local RR owners club and he said his was pretty reliable. He'd owned the car for a few years when I asked him about it.

For $40K, you can buy an X308 XJR, pulley it and have more power than the Turbo R can produce.

And have $20K left over.
XJ's are way too common and are no where near as good looking as the Bentley.

Why spend literally $10,000's more for a Merc, BMW, Audi or Lexus

... Or I could spend $10,000's less than get a Merc, BMW or Jag. Because I'm a cheap son of a bitch.

Don't lump me in with these freaks who would actually pay money for a new one.