The Ultimate macOS Thread

OK, so I added WORKGROUP to WINS in sysprefs>network>advanced>wins and the Mac now shows up on the PC network, I can access the Mac from the PC but not the other way around. Tried connecting via ftp and the username/password screen pops up with no error but when I try to connect it just hangs and I eventually relaunch Finder.

Don't use word processor much so Pages is OK for me. I think I tried Think Free Office and Open Office but had trouble. (Open office not free, right?)

Does anyone use Office:Mac 2008? I'm getting increasingly annoyed by iWork (Pages and Numbers).

I'd really give OpenOffice.org a try before switching to the Dark Side. Used it to write my Master's thesis and did not have a single problem.

I use Pages and Keynote all the time and have used Numbers quite a lot this year to keep my students marks and I would choose iWork over Office and OpenOffice (which I really hate) any day of the week.
The only time I use Office is to do massive conversion of lots of doc/docx documents to pdf using Automator.

I use Pages and Keynote all the time and have used Numbers quite a lot this year to keep my students marks and I would choose iWork over Office and OpenOffice (which I really hate) any day of the week.
The only time I use Office is to do massive conversion of lots of doc/docx documents to pdf using Automator.

Why use NeoOffice when OpenOffice 3.0 is native OS X software as well? From my experience, OpenOffice is much more reliable than NeoOffice.

I may be wrong, but did that happen recently? Because when I downloaded NeoOffice a while back, I don't think Open Office was an option for me.

I read one review of both last night, and that review said NeoOffice was better. I'm a little reluctant to change, but might test it out anyway.

I may be wrong, but did that happen recently? Because when I downloaded NeoOffice a while back, I don't think Open Office was an option for me.

I read one review of both last night, and that review said NeoOffice was better. I'm a little reluctant to change, but might test it out anyway.

To be honest, ever since the first beta of OOo 3.0 for mac surfaced about a year ago i have not had a look at NeoOffice, so i can't really tell which is better.

So I can connect to network computer after start-up, then some random time later it stops working - error or hanging. After a restart it works again. Still doesn't show up in browse network though.

I guess I'll call support and see if I can get someone who speaks Engrish.

killpanda - I had iWork on my iBook and MS Office on my Macbook and I too prefer iWork.Except when I accidently forget to save it as a .doc, put it on a memory stick to print at school then realise I can't print. There are no Macs at my school.

Both work adequately though as a word processor although I find excel is a better spreadsheet.

Just thought that I'd throw out there for Snow Leopard users that Apple messed up and shipped it with an old version of Flash Player that has security holes, so you might want to head over to Adobe http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html and update. The bad version is MAC 10,0,32,1, so if it says you have it, then upgrade to MAC 10,0,32,18 or newer.

Last edited:
They didn't mess up, they froze the development of Snow Leopard before Adobe unveiled the new version :)
I read somewhere that they will bundle the new version with the 10.6.1 update that should come out in a few days/weeks.

I managed to stay on Flash 9 with Leopard, I'm sad that they updated it to Flash 10 anyway :-D

When I visited my site I got a message saying I needed to upgrade or if I have Flash 6 to click, I updated but still get the message, I click on the part saying I already have Flash 6 and the page opens normally (with a bit at the end of the address bar, ?detectflash=false&).

Is that connected with ^?

Whats the risk that I'll end up with a lemon if I buy a refurbished macbook from Apple?

I'm looking at getting a white plastic bodied macbook.

Buying refurbished from Apple is the exact same as buying new, except you pay a couple of hundred dollars less and get less exciting packaging. Everything you can touch is brand new, and if it is for some reason bad, the warranty is identical to brand new ones. As I always say, Apple has the best refurb programme bar none.

Hmm, I think I'm pretty much set then. I wish they made the current plastic bodied Macbooks in black though :(

Now onto actually getting enough money..................

Last edited:
But I'd rather get the newer updates...........

If you look at how Apple is pushing the whole GPU computing thing, it's another nail in the coffin for old GMA MacBooks. I've heard that people upgrading to Snow on GMA computers are having video quality issues. I feel a lot more future-proof with my NVidia than I would with a GMA. Plus, I don't know if the one you are looking at has DDR3 RAM, but if so, that is fantastic. DDR3 is really great.

I just finished installing Snow Leopard and getting it back to the way I like (I did a fresh install) and holy crap my MacBook is running fast.

I guess since I wasn't expecting much I'm more surprised than I should be but the increase in speed alone was worth upgrading.

I'm impressed.

Tried OpenOffice, Office:Mac, didn't like it. Back to iWork now. :p

10.6 is nowhere to be found in stores around here, apparently they had some delivery hiccups. Placed an order and hopefully should be here some time next week.