No 56k: Took it in the ass today. (SFW)

Well fuckbeans. They say the car can be fixed for $4,500 and that the estimated value is $9,200. I'd love to know where they got that last number because I only paid $12,000 for it new in 2004 and it's got close to 80,000 miles on it and a fubar'd odometer reading.

This is actually not the outcome I wanted. Now I have a car with a fucked up odometer AND a major crash on the CarFax so I really will never be able to unload it.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. SHIT.

Do they actually know about the odometer thing? Seems like they completely ignored it.

Do they actually know about the odometer thing? Seems like they completely ignored it.

I told them about it and they said that it doesn't affect the value of the car. <_< Apparently since the odometer was replaced in a shop and the sticker is on the door they legally can't devalue the car for that, even though out here in the real world it does exactly that.

But the dealership which screwed up the odometer will vouch for its work, right?

But the dealership which screwed up the odometer will vouch for its work, right?

It doesn't really matter, any odometer discrepancy will devalue the car in the real world, no matter who repaired it.

EDIT:
Ok, I spoke with a local broker who said that they should count the odometer problem for the overall value of the car, it's part of the car's condition. I called my adjuster and asked where the guy at the body shop got the numbers for the car's value because there's no way a base model Civic could only depreciate $2,800 in 6 years and 80,000 miles. He got online and verified that the car is actually worth something like $6,500 not including the odometer problem. According to the broker I know, the odometer will reduce the value of the car by $1,000-$2,000, which will put the true value of the Civic at between $4,500 and $5,500.

He also said that if the repair gets up to 70% of the car's value we can start looking at totaling the car because they can make more from it on the salvage parts market - especially since all the damage was to the back so the engine and transmission are in good shape.

So the car that was totaled then wasn't totaled might be totaled again.

Last edited:
Here's the deal I think.

They are using the clean retail value from NADA which is $9,725 for a 2004 Honda Civic-4 Cyl. Coupe 2D EX (that's what yours is, right?)

Which is, arguably, what you'd have to pay to replace the car if you went to the dealer to buy a pre-owned one off the lot.

You may be able to negotiate some lesser figure from them, but the way they see it, they either fix it or give you $9,725 for the car. Heck, maybe even a little more than that since normally, you'd be pushing them saying "hey, I've owned it since new, I know it's been well loved, etc etc etc)

Now, is it really just $4,500 to fix? Have you gotten an estimate from someone else? Your argument needs to go down the line of:

"I won't accept a fix that doesn't use all Honda OEM parts, etc., and I have another shop that says it will cost $8,000 to fix it. I'll take $8,000 because I really don't want a repaired car, even though that's less than what it's worth."

But if they think they can fix it for $4,500, getting more than that is going to be an uphill battle.

Another tack to throw on is "diminshed value" -- in other words, you want $2,500 on top of repairs because it is difficult to sell a car with a major accident on the carfax. It would be best if you had something from a dealer on that...but the argument is sound.

Sorry for being a little rambling; am typing on my phone.

Steve

Great info, Steve. One correction is that my car is a base model DX, not the EX.

Here's the deal I think.

They are using the clean retail value from NADA which is $9,725 for a 2004 Honda Civic-4 Cyl. Coupe 2D EX (that's what yours is, right?)

Which is, arguably, what you'd have to pay to replace the car if you went to the dealer to buy a pre-owned one off the lot.

You may be able to negotiate some lesser figure from them, but the way they see it, they either fix it or give you $9,725 for the car. Heck, maybe even a little more than that since normally, you'd be pushing them saying "hey, I've owned it since new, I know it's been well loved, etc etc etc)

Now, is it really just $4,500 to fix? Have you gotten an estimate from someone else? Your argument needs to go down the line of:

"I won't accept a fix that doesn't use all Honda OEM parts, etc., and I have another shop that says it will cost $8,000 to fix it. I'll take $8,000 because I really don't want a repaired car, even though that's less than what it's worth."

But if they think they can fix it for $4,500, getting more than that is going to be an uphill battle.

Another tack to throw on is "diminshed value" -- in other words, you want $2,500 on top of repairs because it is difficult to sell a car with a major accident on the carfax. It would be best if you had something from a dealer on that...but the argument is sound.

Sorry for being a little rambling; am typing on my phone.

Steve

You weren't rambling at all, that was a fantastic bit of advice to anyone dealing with their insurance company imo...

Which insurance company is handling this, out of curiosity?

Great info, Steve. One correction is that my car is a base model DX, not the EX.

That might get you closer... a DX without alloys and with manual is just $74,25, and $8,300 if it's an auto without alloys. So it's definitely important to make sure they have the right equipment spec, etc.

I think your strongest case is going to be around diminshed value; that there are so many civics out there that no one will buy one with a major accident on it.

And if at all possible get another estimate. If you could find someone else that said it was even just $5,500 you'd be a lot closer to just getting cashed out on it.

Steve

Which insurance company is handling this, out of curiosity?

My insurance is USAA, and they have always done right by me. The problem here is with the shop, USAA is sending an inspector out to sort them out.

That might get you closer... a DX without alloys and with manual is just $74,25, and $8,300 if it's an auto without alloys. So it's definitely important to make sure they have the right equipment spec, etc.

I think your strongest case is going to be around diminshed value; that there are so many civics out there that no one will buy one with a major accident on it.

And if at all possible get another estimate. If you could find someone else that said it was even just $5,500 you'd be a lot closer to just getting cashed out on it.

Steve

My car is a 2004 Civic Coupe (less valuable than a sedan used)
Manual transmission, manual windows, locks and mirrors. The only equipment it has is a single CD player and A/C.

I'll see what comes of this before I pay to have the car carted off to another shop.

(oh, and +1 for the sound advice, I forgot earlier because I was browsing on my phone.)

Seems like you will get rid of the unsellable Civic, afterall...
I can?t call it "good news" because it?s a PITA to deal with all the haggling and paperwork and back pains (how is your girl, by the way?) but at least something good will come out of it. A new motorcycle, perhaps? :mrgreen:

No, not a motorcycle, I have been wanting an SUV since I got back to Utah and I will need a car for the winter. I found a 2009 X-Terra Off Road in white (my ideal color), I just hope it's there if/when I find out my car is a total loss.

When my bike was totaled the paperwork was easy, I just sent my insurance company the title and they handled the rest. Couldn't have been easier.

I think she will be ok, but I want her to go see the doc again.

My insurance is USAA, and they have always done right by me. The problem here is with the shop, USAA is sending an inspector out to sort them out.

My car is a 2004 Civic Coupe (less valuable than a sedan used)
Manual transmission, manual windows, locks and mirrors. The only equipment it has is a single CD player and A/C.

I'll see what comes of this before I pay to have the car carted off to another shop.

(oh, and +1 for the sound advice, I forgot earlier because I was browsing on my phone.)

Using kbb.com as a rough guide to figure out what your Civic is actually worth...

In excellent condition, they say it's worth about $8,530...

Adding in the odometer issue, I'd say that'd take at least 3 grand off of that (If your car was in excellent condition prior to said accident...) so realistically it's worth about 5k...

Hopefully this all works out for you for the better. And not the worse...

And if it doesn't...

Gas can's and a lighter, and that's all I'll say <_<

Yeah, because insurance fraud is fun, kids! :idiot:

It's a felony and it's dishonest. So what if the world doesn't go my way, it doesn't give me the right to cheat someone else or risk a felony that will fuck up my whole life over a few thousand dollars.

You really are an idiot.