First Full Shots of the Mercedes SLS

looks awesome, but the front is too busy, should have been simpler and more retro.

I like the front, very Mercedes, but the back looks a bit American to me. I would like the car if it had a better interior.

I might be in the minority, but I rather like the interior.

Looks like a front-mid engine config, look how far back the engine is :)

Separated at Birth: Dodge Viper and Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing

http://blog.caranddriver.com/separated-at-birth-dodge-viper-and-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gullwing/

Dodge-Viper-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-Overlay-440x330.jpg

Last edited:
I'm slightly surprised to say I pretty much like it. The back end isn't so great, and I agree that the headlights would look better if they weren't so GTR-ish, but still like it overall.

The interior, while for some reason isn't a design that grabs me, looks like a nice place to be. Lots of leather, too.

donotwant-1.jpg

I think its fantastic.

No excessively chiseled body kits, enormous wheel arches or overly styled interiors. Just clean simple and attractive design.

Last edited:
IT will look much much better in real id imagine... but thats just me.

I think its fantastic.

No excessively chiseled body kits, enormous wheel arches or overly styled interiors. Just clean simple and attractive design.

My exact thoughts. :)

I'm not so sure. I mean I'm sure it looks better in person, but that front just isn't quite doing it for me. And why have they copied the rear from the Z4?

I think it looked better with the camo still on...

I think its fantastic.

If you look at my above link to Car and Driver blog, you could go as far as to say that the entire car is a body kit based on the Dodge Viper... It's interesting really, as the Viper engine is said to have been worked on by Lamborghini during its initial creation in the 90's, and now the SLS has a a body and basic structure based on the Viper.

The car is very interesting, and it will be interesting to compare the Mercedes engine, transmission, suspension, and other mechanical underpinnings with that of the Viper. My guess is that it will be much more refined and comfortable, while still maintaining great performance capability.

I still can't decide what I think about the SLS...

I love the front of it...the back is not bad. But there is something seriously wrong with the roofline. It looks...boxy. They probably had to make it like this because of the gullwing doors, but still...I can't quite put my finger on it, but the roof is wrong.

The front end is a bit of a mess, it looks like five designers were responsible, none of whom were speaking. Too many badly shaped vents, the headlights from the wrong car, a grille that is just too big and an awkward shape for the front end. It's especially strange if they were inspired by the original gullwing, since that had a front end which was pretty much flawless.

I'm sure it'll be great to drive, but they could do better.

I have to say I do like it. I like the shape, to me it looks modern with a throw back to the original.
The headlights could have had a little more work but there are worse things.

Looks nice, but that engine bay is horrid. So much plastic. I've said it before... car manufacturers need to learn that when I open the hood, I don't want to see a bunch of black plastic.