Difficulties on deciding which party to elect? Here's the "Wahl-o-Mat" for you

The contradictions you made out in my statements, aren't contradictions. And you'll probably see that, when you stop comparing apples with oranges and differentiate a bit more ;)

No, the contradiction is quite obvious. You say 40000 euros a year should be spent on giving education to rich kids, even though their parents can EASILY afford to pay for that, but we can't afford to give them an additional 4000 euros a year so they can eat and live somewhere while they study?

Granted, they NEED neither of those, their rich parents could easily provide both, but why should they have to provide one, and not the other for example?

If you say higher taxes for companies is populism, why don't you think they should be lowered?

By that logic, we shouldn't be providing the daycare spots in the first place, because it rewards parents for getting kids, and then going off getting full-time jobs, abandoning the kids and just being Rabeneltern in general, who never see their kids.

I think your stances on these two issues contradict each other. If you claim that rich kids should not get their studies financed by the state, but then claim that the first education needs to be free... the only reason why education is free in Germany is because it is already financed by the state/taxes, therefore the education of rich kids is also being financed by the taxpayer, even though the parents could afford it.

Bulgarians and similar kanacks are already allowed to vote here, you know.

Why should they be, but Australians should not?

EDIT: yeah, I said kanacks. You guys stop coming to this country to make trouble, and I'll stop using slurs to talk about you.

Okay, let me reply first by stating that I see no substantial difference between a Bulgarian and an Australian and if you disagree, I'd like you to elaborate.

As a matter of fact, I don't know any Bulgarians personally but the father of one of my Australian friends is a racist, who's always grouching about foreigners. He considers me a Nazi and refuses to take presents from me.

So much for that. And now for the rest:

1. I consider both demands for lowering or raising taxes populism -- only from different sides.

2. Daycare places exist, always have since I can remember. In fact the word Kindergarten has been adapted into English. It is a national institution people can make use of and take benefit from. As far as I know, they draw money from different sources, some even sustain themselves. It is a service society offers to parents. They may or may not make use of it, that's up to them.

However, the decision to NOT make use of an institution doesn't mean you have the right to demand a compensation for not making use of it. How twisted is that?

3. There is a fundamental difference between offering the opportunity to attend to a public university and its services for free and supporting poorer students with additional money for the costs they have because of becoming a student at a university.

You also conveniently forgot to mention that the money isn't given to them for free. They have to pay it back, once they are finished studying.

Last edited:
Okay, let me reply first by stating that I see no substantial difference between a Bulgarian and an Australian and if you disagree, I'd like you to elaborate.

No, I don't see any substantial difference either, which is why I don't understand why Bulgarians should be allowed to vote, and Australians shouldn't. Which is how the law is as it stands right now.

You also conveniently forgot to mention that the money isn't given to them for free. They have to pay it back, once they are finished studying.

Well, if they pay it back, all the more reason to give it to the students, it's not like it's costing any money.

@cobol

A turkish citizen may not vote in the UK municipial elections however.

(1) A person is entitled to vote as an elector at a local government election in any electoral area if on the date of the poll he -
(a) is registered in the register of local government electors for that area;
(b) is not subject to any legal incapacity to vote (age apart);
(c) is a Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a relevant citizen of the Union; and
(d) is of voting age (that is, 18 years or over).

If anyone is curious to know the voting patterns of future electrical engineers, there was a poll in the forum of my faculty.

Will be quite interesting to see how the actual election result will compare to the votes of students.

20090911-kb9147ssm63f9q7y9p53h41qaj.jpg

Elvis313 already posted about this in the Random Political Thoughts thread, but I think it should go in here as well.

Polizei?bergriff bei Demonstration f?r Datenschutz

And people like Zypries argue that the Piratenpartei is silly and cannot be taken seriously, because of its focus on a single aspect. Yeah, like the greens in the 80ies, right? :rolleyes: (I know many here may not like them, but I think it's still a valid comparison)
The greens did an important job in the 80ies because of how they managed to force the big parties to deal with an issue none of them really cared about and how they involved a lot of younger people in this.
The way I see it, the Piraten could become a similar contemporary movement that could raise public awareness and sensitivity for an issue that hasn't really reached the established parties yet. I sure hope they do.

There's a torrent of the original video http://www.mininova.org/tor/2947142

They say that the guy was just asking for the identification numbers of the officers that arrested a friend of his in a "unkindly" manner and then got beaten down as you see in the video.

Laugh of the day: The police say something about an attempt to break out said friend. :rolleyes:

Children are left to themselves far too often, they are being parked before the TV set and the Playstation. You hardly ever see any children playing outside anymore.

It's funny how all the countries in the world have the same issues huh.
You don't WANT those kids playing outside believe me. The people on the street next to mine have taught their kids the road is a great place you should play there! They put these annoying "slow! children!" signs in the middle of the road and block it off. You also have to watch carefully because their kids run RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAR because obviously it is THEIR street cars do not belong there!

31Nsi7g4i%2BL._AA400_.jpg

these, and lots of them. I WANT TO RUN THEM DOWN.

You know, in places outside the US, not everyone lives on a major street. ;) :p There are plenty of places to go playing outside the reach of cars. :)

You don't WANT those kids playing outside believe me.

Well apparently kids and their parents in the US are more retarded than in Germany then.
Because I have a group of children on my street that play there regularily, and they get out of the way when a car approaches, and drivers go by just a bit more carefully, and everything's fine.
And I'd rather have them be outside playing on the street, causing me a tiny bit of trouble as I go by, than having them parked in front of the TV at a pre-school age.

Hmm, I wish my neighbors children would play inside instead of being hyperactive and doing drifts and slides next to my car on their bicycles. I just know that they are going to crash against it one day. Also they are super annoying and tend to stalk me when I am working on the car or bike.

Last edited:
You know, in places outside the US, not everyone lives on a major street. ;) :p There are plenty of places to go playing outside the reach of cars. :)

it's not a major street but it doesn't give them the right to put up barriers and block it off.

I will be arrested for stupid person slaughter. I do however consider playing car football with the stupid signs when they leave them behind in the road. HOW FAR CAN I MAKE IT GO. If I had money I'd buy a shitload of them and find creative ways to knock them down with the car.

It was bigger (31 instead of 19 parties) for the European Parliament elections... and I know the number because I just sent out my postal vote myself. :)

My Scores
Correspondence
Party

70 out of 96 Score
CDU/CSU

68 out of 96 Score
FDP

54 out of 96 Score
PIRATEN

46 out of 96 Score
NPD

44 out of 96 Score
SPD

43 out of 96 Score
GR?NE

35 out of 96 Score
DKP

26 out of 96 Score
DIE LINKE

Weird that I am a muslim but I would be linked to the CDU... Also shocked that I am so close to the NDP