Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Copy the partition to an external HDD using Gparted. It'll preserve the UUID and everything, so if things go south, you can just copy it back to where it was.

That sounds good, never would have thought to use gparted. Unfortunately I do not have an external HDD, but I have two mostly empty internal HDDs so I can give that a shot. Anything that can be done from within Windows though? I was thinking something along the lines of a drive image but I have no experience with such things.

I think that, looking at the purposes of said machine (little bit of gaming, lots of testing with multiple VMs), that I'd rate a triple channel memory controller and a faster system bus over a few more mhzs.

System bus on the Lynnfields is the same speed as the old i7's. And while it's only a dual channel one, the memory controller on the 860 supports DDR3-1333. Still, this is getting me thinking, which is actually better for what I'm gonna build...

Last edited:
For me it's easy, running multiple VMs as efficiently as possible is a lot more important than a few more fps in some game I rarely play. So more channels outweigh more mhzs. Same goes for the system bus. QPI is better at multitasking (at least from my limited knowledge of both systems) than the DMI one in the Lynnfield processors.

Anybody have an opinion on monitor calibrators? Looking to buy one but not quite sure who makes a good unit.

I'm wondering if I should buy an HTC Magic. Or Hero.

My main dilemma is that I want an Android phone, but a G1 is only $350 compared to the almost $500 of the other 2, and it has a physical keyboard to boot.

The new Android motorola (Can't remember the name) looks damn ugly, especially the really messy UI, and the LG one isn't a lot better either.

Last edited:
Both G1 and Magic are a bit outdated now, especially software-wise; Hero boasts the new Sense UI, which (from what I've heard) makes the experience much better. And it received an update in the last days, which improved the performance a lot. The Sense UI upgrade is also available on the Magic with some carriers.

I myself am looking for a new Android phone to get in a month or two, and for me, it will probably be the Tattoo. I'm fine with the old good resistive screen, it is just as compact as my current Touch, and has fairly decent specs otherwise.

That sounds good, never would have thought to use gparted. Unfortunately I do not have an external HDD, but I have two mostly empty internal HDDs so I can give that a shot. Anything that can be done from within Windows though? I was thinking something along the lines of a drive image but I have no experience with such things.

The reason I said an external drive is because once your fedora system boots, it's going to try to mount your various partitions, which are referenced by UUID. If you don't remove the internal drive you copied to before rebooting, it'll see two partitions with the same UUID and fail. As long as you remove it though, you'll be golden.

I don't know if you can run GParted from within Windows, but it's quite simple to burn a LiveCD and use that.

Thanks for the advice, but that doesn't look like the best solution for me then. I was looking for something more along the lines of making a drive image through Windows (i.e. it ends up as just another file in the filesystem), so if Linux fails I can use Windows to restore it. Repartitioning and removing the drive would be a bit of a pain but if it has to be done...

The HTC G1 may not be a very good buy, it is said it doesn't have enough RAM to handle the next releases of Android.

The HTC G1 may not be a very good buy, it is said it doesn't have enough RAM to handle the next releases of Android.

Really? REALLY? Fuck me.

Well, having less RAM than the Hero is already the reason G1 is not getting the HTC Sense UI upgrade, for a kick-off (same goes for some versions of the Magic - e.g. the myTouch 3G). Android also is in its very beginning now, so supposedly new interfaces and other good stuff will start coming out soon. Would really be a shame not to be able to use it.

Well, having less RAM than the Hero is already the reason G1 is not getting the HTC Sense UI upgrade, for a kick-off (same goes for some versions of the Magic - e.g. the myTouch 3G). Android also is in its very beginning now, so supposedly new interfaces and other good stuff will start coming out soon. Would really be a shame not to be able to use it.

This sucks. Well, I suppose I should start hoping for a G1 mark 2. I don't want a touch-screen keyboard, I love the G1's keyboard, but I want the Sense UI and all that shit.

Once you root the G1 than performance should pick up.

But yeah, I would be worried about the G1 running more graphic intesnes UIs.

Maybe I should just wait.

Anybody have an opinion on monitor calibrators? Looking to buy one but not quite sure who makes a good unit.

It'll only tell you that you have to have the monitor set a way you don't like it, so you'll either stick with it because you've bought the calibrator or stick with your personal preference and waste however much the thing costs.

That's how I justified not buying one anyway.

500x_SonyASeries.jpg

64GB, only 7.2mm thick.

Fuck, that's hot.

I just read on abi.com that it's so far supposedly asia-only.. are they fucking kidding?

Last edited:
I just went to pick up my Asus laptop today. Its come back even more broken than before.

Fuck you Asus. Fuck you very much. I wasted more than 1.5 hours driving to the freakin repair center, only to find that its even more messed than before.

How come 4GB RAM modules are so rare? You can buy a 2x2GB DDR3 kit for $73 and a 3x2GB kit for $110 (and DDR2 kits were about the same price last year), but a 3x4GB kit will set you back twelve hundred freakin' bucks! Is the slow uptake of 64-bit OSs just leading to no demand for kits over 4GB for mainstream (i.e. non-X58 chipset based) systems?