First car for a 18 year old teenager

^^lets hope it will not for as long as i can

Something old, something noisy, something ugly, something slow. It worked for me. Though now it only fits three of those categories.

i need some new advice,is the audi a4(1998-2001) any good or i should stay away.Also,comfort is really something that i would like to have in my car, so what you think would be the best used car for comfort that is available in america(so no alfa,citroen or peugeot) and that is not american, my budget might also go up to 7500$ since i am more thnking of buying it this summer or next autunm.

I'd avoid VAG products, especially turbos. If you can find a manual V6 with good service history, it's still risky as at around 60-80k, lots of critical (read: expensive components) parts fail. Electrics are expensive to deal with and can fail frequently. I like Audis, but I'd say to avoid them.

sorry but corsa are not available here in america and the equivalent of a corsa would be a american car which i dont want to have

Something small and safe without lots of power and cheap to insure/maintain. Like a corsa or fiesta or something like that.

Did you give up on Volvo? For $7,500 you can get a REALLY nice S70 T-5M (Inline 5, Turbo, Manual). And it's comfortable.

I was going to suggest a BMW, but they have a hard ride.

I would also suggest to stay away from VAG's. A4's tend to go through oxygen sensors quite often. Also the AWD system sometimes fails around 120k miles and is expensive to repair.

I know it's becoming sort of a cliche on FinalGear...but how about a Jaaag?

well for the moment, i think i ill go for the volvo s70 and try to find a manual one, whatever it is a turbo, awd, or something else, i also tought about the jag but that would just be too much expensive on repair for a student i think, if spectre tell me that xj300 xj6 vp parts are about the same as the volvo i might also wanna check for a xj6. It look superb, my friend like the xj6 ( since i will use mostly the car to carry my friend and stuff thats a good thing) well its a jaaag, and also its really confortable.so right now my choice are the volvo s70 or the xj6 but i am sure when i have the money it will be the volvo. Only if spectre tell me that part for the jag are more expensive than the volvo. as for the garage for repair, i have one 2 min from my house that can do volvo and jaaaag and i heard alot of good history from their customer.

also what about this :http://www.lespac.com/detail-annonc...6108/1997-jaguar-xj6-berline-vanden-plas.html

Last edited:
I think part-wise Volvo and Jaag will be around the same. Reliability wise...I can only speak for the Volvo that your main concerns will be mechanical, above 100k miles. The Volvo electrics are pretty good and reliable.

I think part-wise Volvo and Jaag will be around the same. Reliability wise...I can only speak for the Volvo that your main concerns will be mechanical, above 100k miles. The Volvo electrics are pretty good and reliable.

Agreed. The electrics were never an issue with my Volvo. The transmission was the biggest headache.

X300s will have roughly the same parts cost as a Volvo, possibly a little less. Hourly shop rates are usually about the same.

well they will be about the same since i can go the same garage for both, as for volvo, mostly all have more 100k mile, so as we said earlier, i gotta make sure to check the service history.also spectre what do you think of the car in the link by the picture.

one thing i forgot about the jag is the insurrance, while the volvo is about 1grand a year the jag is a bit more(3,3 grand was the best i got)

Last edited: