Crashgate

Well whatever happens with the trial, I just hope the WMSC and the FIA get their decision and respective punishment (if applicable) right. We must be left in no doubt in the future that what we see going on during a race is genuine and above board. If it is proven that Renault (represented by Symonds and Briatore as employees) are guilty of forcing Piquet to crash as this is the point of contention, then they must be dealt with severely. If that means booting them from the sport then so be it.

I posted this on the first page, which shows the telemetry of Piquet's car during the accident, and radio transmissions leading up to the incident. On it's own, this evidence is pretty damning, but we're still yet to hear Renault's defence, and there may be perfectly reasonable explanations for the information in the document. If you havent already done so, have a glance through it.

I also think it's wrong of the FIA to grant Piquet immunity from the proceedings. If Renault told him to jump off a cliff would he do it? Apparently Piquet came up with the idea, which must be alarming in it's own right. It's an extremely dishonourable thing to do and Martin Brundle points out in his article on the Times website how he waited all of winter before signing a race by race deal with (presumably) McLaren in 1994. It's clear that he's a spoilt brat who is likely to throw his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way. Over the past one and a half seasons he's demonstrated that he's in over his head in F1 and doesn't belong. I expect his career rests on whether daddy can put together this buy-out of BMW-Sauber, because I can't see too many other racing teams taking him on. He didn't blow the whistle on Renault because of any feelings of sportsmanship or what's right. I expect he did it soley for his own personal satisfaction in seeing Briatore, his 'executioner' dragged down with him.

Last edited:
It's clear that he's a spoilt brat who is likely to throw his toys out of the pram when things don't go his way.

Well, I always thought he was just like his father minus the talent. Looks like I was right.

Well, I always thought he was just like his father minus the talent. Looks like I was right.

yup I agree.

His father is still the bigger twat though.

Reading through the link Red_Bull posted it becomes very obvious that even Symonds agrees that the crash was deliberate, the only debate is who's idea was it and why it was done...When he's asked "were you aware that there was going to be a crash at Lap 14?" he just says "i don't wanna answer that".

There are going to be some punishments handed out, we should make a wager as to who exactly will be punished :p

I think Renault will be gone at the end of this year, but will be allowed to "gracefully" leave rather than being unceremoniously thrown out.

I think Renault will be gone at the end of this year, but will be allowed to "gracefully" leave rather than being unceremoniously thrown out.

Well I think that if the FIA think Renault will leave, they will make a big fuss out of it on purpose to make the other teams aware of the severity.

Well I think that if the FIA think Renault will leave, they will make a big fuss out of it on purpose to make the other teams aware of the severity.

I agree. FIA will probably use them as an example if this ever happens.

It wouldn't be so bad if Massa weren't injured and there were no Alonso "wheel" accident. Now not only it looks race fixing, but also a major life threatening event, sorta speaking.

Autosport said:
Transcript of Pat Symonds' FIA interview

Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 06:44 GMT

This if the official transcript of the relevant parts of an interview between FIA representatives and Pat Symonds, at the Belgian Grand Prix, discussing the Singapore Grand Prix race-fix allegations and the race morning meeting between himself, Flavio Briatore and Nelson Piquet.

FIA adviser: In your own words Mr. Symonds what do you recall being said to Nelson Piquet Jnr at that meeting? This is shortly before the race.

Symonds: I don't really remember it.

FIA adviser:
You don't remember?

Symonds:
No.

FIA adviser: Nelson Piquet Jnr says that he was asked by you to cause a deliberate crash. Is that true?

Symonds:
Nelson had spoken to me the day before and suggested that. That's all I'd really like to say.

(...)

FIA adviser: Mr Symonds were you aware that there was going to be crash at Lap 14?

Symonds: I don't want to answer that question.

(...)

FIA adviser: There is just one thing that I ought to ask you and put it to you so you can think about it at least. Mr. Piquet Jnr says that having had the initial meeting with you and Flavio Briatore you then met him individually with the map of the circuit. Do you remember that?

Symonds:
I won't answer, rather not answer that. I don't recall it but it sounds like Nelson's talked a lot more about it.

FIA adviser: Mr. Piquet Jnr also says at that meeting you pointed out a specific place on the circuit where he was to have the accident and said it was because it was the furthest away from any of the safety or lifting equipment and gave the most likely chance of a safety car being deployed.

Symonds:
I don't, I don't want to answer that question.

FIA adviser: [Referring to the pre-race meeting] Was it you that did the talking at that meeting Mr. Symonds?

Symonds: I'm sure it would have been both of us but I don't know for sure. Sorry that's a contradiction. I would imagine it would be both of us that would be normal. Actually probably more often it's Flavio that does the talking himself. I wouldn't necessarily always agree with what he's saying but the majority.

FIA adviser: Because just to be absolutely clear here what Nelson Piquet Jnr has said is that at that meeting it was you that asked him to have a crash deliberately?

Symonds: I can't answer you.

FIA adviser: Can I say that if Mr. Symonds you'd been put in the position where you were made to ask Mr. Piquet Jnr to crash it's much better, it would be much better for you in the long term to tell these stewards to hear that today?

Symonds: I fully understand that.

FIA adviser:
Yes.

Symonds: I have no intention of lying to you. I have not lied to you but I have reserved my position just a little.

FIA adviser:
And you're aware that the stewards may draw conclusions from your unwillingness to assist them in relation to what went on in that meeting?

Symonds: I would expect them to. I would absolutely expect that.

FIA adviser: I think I haven't got any further questions.

Last edited:
Symonds exempt from FIA punishment
15 September 2009

Formula One governing body the FIA has granted Pat Symonds, Executive Director of Engineering at Renault, immunity in the controversial case surrounding race-fixing in last year's Singapore Grand Prix. Like driver Nelson Piquet, the Englishman will not receive a possible punishment of a lifetime ban from the sport providing that honest evidence is provided.

Piquet claims that both Symonds and Managing Director Flavio Briatore instructed the Brazilian to crash deliberately during the night race in order to encourage the deployment of the Safety Car in order to aid team-mate Fernando Alonso's race victory.

Symonds at Monza on Friday
Symonds at Monza on Friday

The Spaniard duly took the chequered flag and Renault's first win of the year although Renault will attend an FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing on Monday 21 September.

Providing the FIA feels a full and sincere description of events is provided by Symonds, he will not be charged with a lifetime ban from Formula One. The Times reports on Tuesday that the Englishman refused to answer initial questioning from an FIA advisor, pointing out the following quote: "I have no intention of lying to you. I have not lied to you, but I have reserved my position just a little."

It is believed that the FIA-appointed stewards from this year's Belgian Grand Prix have analysed the telemetry information of Piquet's car during the race, claiming that - having viewed the data - Piquet's claims are 'reasonable' and 'on balance'.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/09/15/symonds-exempt-from-fia-punishment/

I don't like this. If anyone is to blame, it is Symonds and Briatore. Next thing we know, Flav is immune too :(

So it's settled, Flavio is the one to go down for this.

Piquet unemployable now, says Brundle

14 September 2009

Former driver Martin Brundle believes that Nelson Piquet's recent race-fixing accusations against the Renault team and the subsequent controversy now make the driver unemployable in Formula One.

Ex-Renault pilot Piquet and father Nelson Sr. claim that team chiefs Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds planned a crash in Singapore last year in order to see the deployment of the Safety Car to assist other driver Fernando Alonso to race victory.

"The word in the paddock is that team boss Flavio Briatore will step away from F1 - possibly even before the hearing," television commentator Brundle told the BBC. "The sad thing is that the damage to F1 is already done because of the leaked information."

With Piquet managed by his triple World Champion father, Brundle feels the execution of their actions is a let down to the sport. "I'm disappointed in Piquet father and son," he continued. "Like many of us in the paddock, they have benefited enormously from being in the privileged inner sanctum of F1 and the boy's career opportunities and funding existed only because of F1.

"So, crashing deliberately in the first place, as he claims, and then lobbing this nuclear bomb into the paddock is not impressive to say the least; they've cut off their noses to spite their face because surely Nelson Piquet Jr is unemployable in F1 now. Which team and sponsor wants to be associated with all this? Anger has got the better of them here. F1, though, will survive it and move on."

Source

So it's settled, Flavio is the one to go down for this.

Thats what I'm taking away from this. The FIA want Briatore's scalp. Hard to see how they can reasonably offer Symonds immunity given that he is a representative and employee of Renault.

It's quite a final term for Max Mosley! Got rid of Ron Dennis at the start of the season, now in all likelihood, Briatore. The two guys who have been a thorn in his side for years.

Last edited:
Anyone wonder if Max is pursuing retribution against Briatore for leading the FOTA rebellion?..

Anyone wonder if Max is pursuing retribution against Briatore for leading the FOTA rebellion?..

The FOTA rebellion, the tyre issue at Hungary (although not directly Briatore's fault), the 2007 McLaren data scandal, the GPWC, maybe even the vote of no confidence in Max Mosley back in 1994 (a tumultuous year indeed for Briatore's Benetton team).

Well, they've given Symonds immunity if he comes clean.. What if he now says the Briatore had nothing to do with it? :p

None could be held responsible.. :p