Need For Speed: Shift

I tried it for a few hours. Its a arcade style with a little simulation mixed in.

One weird thing is that in automatic mode during launches, the car starts in neutral you rev up and then put it in 1st. WTF is the point of that?

And the car stats are weird too. How does a 350z with 306hp weighing 3300lbs have a higher top speed and faster acceleration than a S2000 with 422hp weighing 2800lbs?

The 350Z has more low-end torque and better aerodynamics? :dunno:

[vimeo]6606607[/vimeo]

GT2 At Spa/Nurburgring! Wow! (bad sound quality though)

I. Must. Have. This.

The 350Z has more low-end torque and better aerodynamics? :dunno:

Better tires? :dunno:

Last edited:
[vimeo]6606607[/vimeo]

GT2 At Spa/Nurburgring! Wow! (bad sound quality though)

I. Must. Have. This.

Wow...that is awesome looking... I suck so bad I slow down WAY to much and can't keep the car straight, seems the controls are WAY too sensitive.

Either way, I won't play the game again, its going back next time I am at work, and going towards Forza.

It matters. And that's what I said. On these points your review was BS.
You don't seriously believe that the both the physics and the tracks are realistic, do you?

Bad sound quality? That was glorius. I don't care what other people think, will be picking this up when it's out here.

Well, the sound in that clip was distorting heavily..

Alright. First of all, let me say that I am SO glad that I didn't buy into the hype, and actually tried the game before buying it. Oh, and I tried out the PC version.

The graphics are good, if a bit inefficient and with a bit too many "cool" effects.
The interiors are VERY well done!
The sound is decent enough, but not too accurate.
The physics are better than a few previous games, although it still feels like you're piloting hovercrafts, not driving cars.

Now... I haven't tried this on a console with a gamepad, but on my PC with my G25.
The controls are totally friggin' horrible. The driving feel is AWFUL, and no matter how much I played with the settings, I get imprecise, sluggish and DELAYED steering response. The FFB feels like it is 10 years old, and really is more annoying than informative. It destroys the whole game for me...

I was not expecting much. I knew that it would be nowhere near stuff like LFS, rFactor and even the GTR-series, but the feel and response is worse than most of the newer NFS-titles!

To sum it up, it feels like someone else is actually driving the car under my instructions. I don't feel that I'm the one in control at all. Bah...

Yup. Steering input is very slow. Doesnt matter if I hook up the wheel, gamepad or joystick :)lol:) it's still sluggish and delayed.

One of the issues i have is that they seem to have adopted the "pole-in-the-middle" type steering, that Codemasters have used since CMR...

oh, and the wheel in the car doesn't correspond with my wheel, but that might be a setting that i haven't found yet..

I had bad input lag before I reduced graphics quality a bit.

Oh, and sound IS very distorted, I don't like it at all. And in a crowded race I can't hear my own engine over other cars' engines.

Last edited:
If you go through the settings you'll eventually find a place where you can adjust deadzone, default deadzone is 33% :lol:
I took that down to 10 and adjusted the other settings waaaaaay down too and it made it a whole different game. Much better. I did a quickrace on the Nordschleife and I finished it in 28 minutes in my Renault. I forgot that a "quickrace" is three laps :D

Last edited:
I'm liking it (PC version) :D

It isn't a simulator but it isn't an arcade racer either. It feels lika the PGR series, where you could take corners at impossible speeds, but you felt like there were some simulator cues within the gameplay.

But I have to say it looks gorgeous (all settings set to the highest possible). Smooth and really good looking (I personally think NFS: Shift has some of the best modelled interiors I've never seen in a game).

No wonder it felt retarded :D
I blame EA for writing software that causes shenanigans.
Bugatti 16.4 at Nordschleife is next.

Last edited:
Steering feels very... heavy using my 360 controller. Might be deadzone related, although coming off the gas helps a lot with that. This game seems a lot easier if you don't do full throttle/brakes all the time.

Decided to buy it, it's on it's way from Newegg. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try changin handling model and turn off the stability control, makes it feel better. Also play around with the sensitivity settings. I'm also finding it weird that my Renault M?gane RS has better traction than an RS4. The cockpit views are excellent and an example to all racing games out there.