Random Thoughts....

I don't like terrestrial earth scanners...

I've just realised that I have made nearly as much posts here in about 6 months as I have on Boards in nearly a year....

988 on Boards, joined Nov. 08.
976 here, joined Feb. 09

:blink:

Last edited:
Must... resist..... the power..... of castle grailskull....

http://img67.imageshack.**/img67/2253/alliance4800600.jpg

WAY HAY HAYAYAYOH WOOAAHHH OOOH OOOH! WAY HAY AYHAYAYAAAYY OOOOOOOH!

I've just realised that I have made nearly as much posts here in about 6 months as I have on Boards in nearly a year....

988 on Boards, joined Nov. 08.
976 here, joined Feb. 09

:blink:

It tends to happen. I started posting in January 08.

Have you guys ever called back customer service and put in a good word for someone?

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've done such a thing.

I had to get my car alarm fixed, and so I called up the alarm company and scheduled an appt. today. This guy comes over, knocks on my door and just says "Hi, I'm Mike from the alarm company", I gave him the keys and he went to work straight, no questions asked.

He did a great job, explained the problem, took his time, was cool, and at the very end I asked if I could get 2 new remotes instead of 1. He told me he couldn't sell me any remotes per se but he'd do it for $20 cash (they're usually $50-$75). He was patient while I was running up and down from my house like a lunatic.

So right after all the stuff was done, I called the alarm company and told them to put in a good word for him.

Navy veteran raising kids by himself, wife left him, and he's doing this job with a smiling face. Guy deserves to be promoted.

I rarely do this because I usually get someone that follows strict protocol and is dull or angry or whatever. But I think he deserves to get +rep'd IRL.

my turntable broke :cry:

gaasc's turntable 1986-2009

Reactions: LP
Have you guys ever called back customer service and put in a good word for someone?

I had to get my car alarm fixed, and so I called up the alarm company and scheduled an appt. today. This guy comes over, knocks on my door and just says "Hi, I'm Mike from the alarm company", I gave him the keys and he went to work straight, no questions asked.

He did a great job, explained the problem, took his time, was cool, and at the very end I asked if I could get 2 new remotes instead of 1. He told me he couldn't sell me any remotes per se but he'd do it for $20 cash (they're usually $50-$75). He was patient while I was running up and down from my house like a lunatic.

So right after all the stuff was done, I called the alarm company and told them to put in a good word for him.

Navy veteran raising kids by himself, wife left him, and he's doing this job with a smiling face. Guy deserves to be promoted.

I rarely do this because I usually get someone that follows strict protocol and is dull or angry or whatever. But I think he deserves to get +rep'd IRL.

Doesn't it feel good to be able to do that? I did it once for a pharmacist who saved my friend's life and the man WAS promoted. Good for you for taking the time. I hope he gets something out of it too. Best thing you can really do though? Tell your friends to use that company and request this guy. To bosses, $ talks.

More people should do this - you will be amazed the effect on Customer Service.

Yeah, some customer service guys are really good and knows what they are talking about, it's refreshing to finally find someone like after a sea of shitty guys that don't give a fuck about your problems.

More people should do this - you will be amazed the effect on Customer Service.

I've noticed now that more companies are explicitly notifying the customers of surveys where you can vote on the service.

I had Dell come and fix my computer - post-tech support survey.

Everytime I've asked Newegg people a question (be it on the phone, via email, or live chat) - survey for each instance.

I've had to call Time Warner Cable 2 times this week - Phone Surveys.

Because this alarm company isn't some bigshot billion-dollar company with automated survey thingos, I thought it would be best to call them. Actually to be honest, even if they had the automated survey I would want to bypass it and tell the person by voice. It wouldn't have been enough to have filled out some stupid php form for this guy's amount of work.

I hate the superficial customer service surveys! Top of my sh!t list are the IMMENSE receipts you get from retailers these days, with instructions to pretty please take their little survey so you can win some pathetic $10 gift certificate. AT&T does the same phone survey thing every single time you can about any teeny, tiny, little thing. Waste of my damn time.

Good lord, my parents. They're away this week, so I'm taking the opportunity to do some cleaning I can't normally do when they're here.

They have magazines from the 80's. "No, can't throw those out, they have good reference information." Bah. You haven't opened them in 20 years, you can't possibly remember what's in each one. They do the same thing with catalogs- we get at least 2 new ones a day, sometimes 5 or 6, they like to keep them a couple years in case they want to order something. Consequently, have have roughly 2 tons of magazines and catalogs laying all over. It drives me batty when you can't sit on the couch without your weight throwing off the balance of a 2 foot stack of catalogs and they fall over on you. So I went to walmart earlier and bought a bookshelf, it's now in the basement and will be an archive for the magazines they actively get. I'm also going through all the catalogs and tossing out all but the most recent of every one. The garbage men probably won't like the fact there's going to be 3-4 70lb boxes of catalogs out for them to take next pickup though.

I also need to come up with some sort of organizer for all their photos. Those pile up the same way, every hunting season they'll get probably 5 or 6 rolls of film with all their kills, so we've got 20+ years of hunting photos everywhere as well. I think I'm going to make mother buy a negative scanner though, so she can at least get the ones she likes on the computer.

Protip: don't give your phone number to a store unless it's a good store that isn't some faceless megachain.
"Alright, that'll be $59.67... k, and could I just get your phone number?" "Nope." ":| uhh, erm... alright.... have a nice day?"

I'll bet that tech was only happy with his job because it's a smaller company. Big companies like, say, comcast *cough* overwork their techs to hell. Most of the techs are idiots to begin with, and they get more jobs than they can actually do in a day so you end up getting half assed repairs because the guy has to get out of there quickly to get to his next job. You shouldn't be able to get a tech out tomorrow if you call at 11:00 PM, but you can. In case you're wondering, I used to be an outsourced phone monkey for comcast, and most of the CSRs, most being like 90%, are completely useless. They don't care about their job, don't even really do their job, are computer illiterate themselves (yup, computer illiterate tech support), cause more problems than they solve (which the non-idiot monkeys have to fix, after getting yelled at for shit they didn't do), and can't get fired because the company can't afford to lose any agents. Ah, capitalism and giant companies, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Quick Question

Has there ever been a large company that you've been a customer of, or worked for and their service was absoloutley flawless? For my family it was BMW, we've bought three cars from them over the course of around 15 years and each time something went wrong or something required servicing it was all taken care of in a day or so and they would always loan us a courtesy car that was around a zillion times better than the car we brought in for service (eg. bring in a 318i, loan you a 545i), if they were a bit late, time for a barrage of apologies and free cappuccinos. Plus, I have had countless amounts of model cars that I've wrecked up over the course of my childhood.

Last edited:
Protip: don't give your phone number to a store unless it's a good store that isn't some faceless megachain.
"Alright, that'll be $59.67... k, and could I just get your phone number?" "Nope." ":| uhh, erm... alright.... have a nice day?"

I'll bet that tech was only happy with his job because it's a smaller company. Big companies like, say, comcast *cough* overwork their techs to hell. Most of the techs are idiots to begin with, and they get more jobs than they can actually do in a day so you end up getting half assed repairs because the guy has to get out of there quickly to get to his next job. You shouldn't be able to get a tech out tomorrow if you call at 11:00 PM, but you can. In case you're wondering, I used to be an outsourced phone monkey for comcast, and most of the CSRs, most being like 90%, are completely useless. They don't care about their job, don't even really do their job, are computer illiterate themselves (yup, computer illiterate tech support), cause more problems than they solve (which the non-idiot monkeys have to fix, after getting yelled at for shit they didn't do), and can't get fired because the company can't afford to lose any agents. Ah, capitalism and giant companies, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

every time someone from the cable company comes to fix my internets they manage to fuck something up, like, i'll give you a example.

the last time they came they deactivated my windows, how the hell do you do THAT, i mean, a messed up driver maybe, but deactivating windows. damn

I hate the superficial customer service surveys! AT&T does the same phone survey thing every single time you can about any teeny, tiny, little thing. Waste of my damn time.

So you're the one who gave me a Neutral score on everything. Thanks!;)

Quick Question

Has there ever been a large company that you've been a customer of, or worked for and their service was absoloutley flawless? For my family it was BMW, we've bought three cars from them over the course of around 15 years and each time something went wrong or something required servicing it was all taken care of in a day or so and they would always loan us a courtesy car that was around a zillion times better than the car we brought in for service (eg. bring in a 318i, loan you a 545i), if they were a bit late, time for a barrage of apologies and free cappuccinos. Plus, I have had countless amounts of model cars that I've wrecked up over the course of my childhood.
Dell, when my computer decided to have a little shit on itself we called Tech support and tried to solve the problem. The problem being was that I reinstalled Windows Vista but when I finished and the massive amounts of installing updates came the computer would freeze up, I'd restart it and it would not start up, when it finally did start up it gave me the BSOD. The problem couldn't be solved by us doing anything so they shipped out the three parts that could have been causing the issue, which were the mother board, hard drive, and power supply. They said it would take a week to ship and for the guy to come, it was within three days and he ended up replacing all the problematic parts and had my warranty extended a year because of the interruption of not having a computer working when needed.

So I saw the U2 Concert yesterday in Toronto, msasive and the coolest stage ever, it was also really cool how people from their apartments were watching and "participating" from turning their lights on and off rapidly.

They are a great band live, but I will rank it as the lowest on from the concerts that I went to, I mean none of the others had 60,000 people there, but the other bands just felt better.

I mentioned to my buddy I was with "Hey the guitarists swaps out guitars every song like Steve Miller does."
His response was "Don't mention U2 and Steve Miller in the same sentance."

First of all, since when are U2 Gods of rock, tehy are talented and good, but I still don't think they are up to The Who's level. Also, Steve Miller is an AMAZING guitarist, and from what I saw at the U2 concert Edge isn't as good (then again concerts don't usually represent that).
But maybe the lack of really "showy" playing is why I didn't like it as Rush's Neil Peart's 10 minute drum solo, or Steve Millers dualing harmonicas, or Bachman Cummings (Singer guitarist from The Guess Who and BTO), or The Who's little solos and crazy antics thrown in.

Good lord, my parents. They're away this week, so I'm taking the opportunity to do some cleaning I can't normally do when they're here.

They have magazines from the 80's. "No, can't throw those out, they have good reference information." Bah. You haven't opened them in 20 years, you can't possibly remember what's in each one. They do the same thing with catalogs- we get at least 2 new ones a day, sometimes 5 or 6, they like to keep them a couple years in case they want to order something. Consequently, have have roughly 2 tons of magazines and catalogs laying all over. It drives me batty when you can't sit on the couch without your weight throwing off the balance of a 2 foot stack of catalogs and they fall over on you. So I went to walmart earlier and bought a bookshelf, it's now in the basement and will be an archive for the magazines they actively get. I'm also going through all the catalogs and tossing out all but the most recent of every one. The garbage men probably won't like the fact there's going to be 3-4 70lb boxes of catalogs out for them to take next pickup though.

I also need to come up with some sort of organizer for all their photos. Those pile up the same way, every hunting season they'll get probably 5 or 6 rolls of film with all their kills, so we've got 20+ years of hunting photos everywhere as well. I think I'm going to make mother buy a negative scanner though, so she can at least get the ones she likes on the computer.
if they give you crap on the magazine thing, I'll pm you some pictures to show them of what happens when you don't have a lovely son to throw all your crap out. :lol:
mom brought home another 2 trash bags of mail from the condo today. She sorts through about 5 bags a week....

every time someone from the cable company comes to fix my internets they manage to fuck something up, like, i'll give you a example.

the last time they came they deactivated my windows, how the hell do you do THAT, i mean, a messed up driver maybe, but deactivating windows. damn

:lmao: how do you even do that?! that made me lol irl