Jay Leno - Star in a green car - crossposted from Top Gear America

It looks like a kiddy track and is in no way interesting to watch to me.

It sucked. He even had a Power Lap board! LOL

That track is way too small and that Focus was ugly.

This is one of the reasons I thank God Top Gear America was canceled.
This was a sad try at duplicating the TG Segment.
They never stated the length of the track, rather they just noted that it occupies 40,000 square feet.
It seems the Leno version of the Stig is Justin Bell, I heard Drew Barrymore mention his name in regards to teaching her the track.

To say that Im disappointed in this segment would be a huge understatement.

I hear ya. Had he not gotten up there with a 7' tall magnetic leader board, names on a strip, and a marker I might have forgiven him. He managed to keep the worst parts of SIARPC and get rid of the interesting bits.

This segment looks nearly impossible to take seriously...

(and I mean already ignoring the Ed Begley cutout and ping-pong ball cannon)

It seemed Drew Barrymore spent nearly as much time outside the lines of the track as inside. So if that's possible, then the times will end up being irrelevant.

I suspected a car segment from Jay, but this feels like something right out of the NBC development meeting.

"What if we have a cutout of Ed Begley, that would be so funny!" Never mind that Begley is a proponent of electric cars...

Sigh.

I suspected a car segment from Jay, but this feels like something right out of the NBC development meeting.
And this is surprising... why, exactly? It's American network TV, so here's the order of who NBC is actually making this show for:
1. Sponsors
2. People who would complain to them
5. Everyone else

As opposed to the BBC, who already has your money prior to making a show, so they can do pretty much whatever they want.

"What if we have a cutout of Ed Begley, that would be so funny!" Never mind that Begley is a proponent of electric cars...
You know, I actually thought it was kind of funny that you could hit Ed Begley and Al Gore.

Eh, I enjoyed the segment and can't wait for more. Sure its definitely toned down from Top Gear's SIARPC but Leno's show isn't about cars anyway; and imo the usual SIARPC lap segments can be pretty boring anyway - I welcome the Al Gore cutouts and other track distractions (probably another reason why this track is low speed so people don't crash violently).

Leno advantages:

1. Probably have a lot more interesting celebrities; as an American don't really care much for Brit-centric stars and have skipped a lot of SIARPC segments in the past
2. Track distractions
3. On HULU
4. Eco friendly and imo a cooler car than the Liana

Top Gear advantages:

1. Track designed by Lotus
2. Much more enthusiast focused

Can't wait to see the track get roasted by guys like Simon Cowell who will undoubtedly compared it to the Brit version. I prefer TG's track but that amount of space and manual transmission is just asking for trouble; Leno's isn't a TG substitute nor is it really trying to be ---- its just entertainment!

Last edited:
Thisthisthis. Everyone who's complaining about the Leno car, remember that it's UK counterpart is currently a Daewoo. I honestly think that Focus might be more powerful than the Lacetti.

Eh, I enjoyed the segment and can't wait for more. Sure its definitely toned down from Top Gear's SIARPC but Leno's show isn't about cars anyway; and imo the usual SIARPC lap segments can be pretty boring anyway - I welcome the Al Gore cutouts and other track distractions (probably another reason why this track is low speed so people don't crash violently).

Leno advantages:

1. Probably have a lot more interesting celebrities; as an American don't really care much for Brit-centric stars and have skipped a lot of SIARPC segments in the past
2. Track distractions
3. On HULU

Top Gear advantages:

1. Track designed by Lotus
2. Much more enthusiast focused

Can't wait to see the track get roasted by guys like Simon Cowell who will undoubtedly compared it to the Brit version. I prefer TG's track but that amount of space and manual transmission is just asking for trouble; Leno's isn't a TG substitute nor is it really trying to be ---- its just entertainment!

I guess this is a "typical" American response to it. And if it is, I can now confirm I am NOT a typical American.

1. I love SIARPC. I don't care where they are from or if I know who they are as long as they are interesting as I find most of them to be.

2. The "track distractions" are plain silly and stupid in my opinion.

3. On Hulu------No big deal

4. Car is not cooler

5. The entire look of the track is stupid. Too much of a circus like atmosphere. The fact it doesn't seem to matter what part you drive on as long as you do not hit the cardboard guys is fine and does not affect your time.

He may have been gotten some inspiration from TG but as some have mentioned, they've made it fit American TV principles. I don't see why they would need to interview the guest(s) about their car history as it is not a car show at all. This is simply some company's (Ford?) ad and Leno decided to accept it as he likes cars and the offer was probably decent. I like his new show.

Drew Barrymore should have worn a see-through top. Jay just added 3 seconds to her time for cutting corners. :yawn: Two more drivers tonight I think. Why am I watching you ask? American TV has sunk to such a low this is the best thing on. Next option is Toddlers and Tiaras.

Drew Barrymore should have worn a see-through top. Jay just added 3 seconds to her time for cutting corners. :yawn: Two more drivers tonight I think. Why am I watching you ask? American TV has sunk to such a low this is the best thing on. Next option is Toddlers and Tiaras.

i havent watched this show at all. however i may watch an episode of it at end of the week.. hes having on a certain american talk radio show host on, who has said many times on his show, hes going to be doing the course in an... well.. unorthodox manner. :p

and to anyone whos stumped and must know.......
its going to be Rush Limbaugh. :lol:

Anyone have any clips?

Last edited:
Rush was pretty fun; shame those cardboard cutouts don't break off since imo it'd be a bit more dramatic and funny that way.

All in all I'm liking this stuff, good entertainment and well worth a HULU viewing.

I watched the Leno show for the first time last night (Hush Bimbo was the guest) and OK it was funny that he stopped the car in the middle of the course and backed over Al Gore's effigy. But the entire bit is incredibly LAME. I mean, SUPER WEAK. Such a weak imitation of SIARPC and weakly executed. Tiny, slow course that isn't even Autocross quality. Streamers and rubber balls? Really?

I was yelling at my TV. Just awful and uninspired.

Great lesson in how to steal from Top Gear and fail.

I don't see how the rubber balls aren't hugely dangerous.

NBC seems to be keeping a TIGHT reign on youtube. I haven't found a single pirated clip so far, but I'll keep looking. So far I've only seen them on nbc.com

This looks like it's just Hulu, but I don't have the tech knowledge to figure it out. Anyone want to see if this link brings you to a visible clip:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/jay+leno/video/xalfh9_the-jay-leno-show-bob-al-race_news

US only.

It might be possible to record the videos off the nbc.com site using a tool like flvrecorder, then upload them to somewhere like zshare or similar where they're less likely to be noticed.

I'd give it a shot but of course nbc.com videos are US only too.

Anyone from the states want to give it a try? I'm sure theres a way, if flvrecorder doesn't work then a screen capture would probably work.

I watched the Leno show for the first time last night (Hush Bimbo was the guest) and OK it was funny that he stopped the car in the middle of the course and backed over Al Gore's effigy. But the entire bit is incredibly LAME. I mean, SUPER WEAK. Such a weak imitation of SIARPC and weakly executed. Tiny, slow course that isn't even Autocross quality. Streamers and rubber balls? Really?

I was yelling at my TV. Just awful and uninspired.

Great lesson in how to steal from Top Gear and fail.

Yep, Biblicaly awful. So lame that if it was a horse it should be shot (well, at least the horse should go to the vet first).

I guess my other emotion was sadness that the producers felt that it needed to be tarted up with balls and streamers to keep an American audiences' attention. Maybe it's because the lawyers told them there would be no fast driving so that was the only way to make it more interesting than watching paint dry. Too bad, I wanted to see what that Focus would do!

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRS90V8BQGo[/YOUTUBE]

It's not that great, could be better if it was a bit less busy and perhaps filmed with more time to spare, or filmed before the filming of the show.

To the people posting negative comments about the size of the track: 40,000 square feet in Burbank is A LOT of money, so it's actually quite large for its location.