Autoblog: The rebirth of Chrysler? FIAT wants the brand to compete with Cadillac.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/21/report-fiat-wants-chrysler-to-be-a-cadillac-competitor/

When you were a kid, there was probably a point when your mom or dad told you that you could one day be president of the United States. They probably didn't really mean it, but at least they wanted you to push yourself a little harder to achieve life's goals. Fiat appears to be in a similar situation with its new underling, Chrysler. The Italian automaker is working through a far-reaching game plan for the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands, and it sees Chrysler competing in the luxury space. Chrysler brand CEO Peter Fong is setting the bar high, too, as he sees the brand being "a notch above Lincoln, a notch above Cadillac."

You may recall former parent Daimler had similar aspirations for the Chrysler brand, with vehicles like the 300 and Pacifica leading the way. While the 300 had some success and commanded a reasonably high MSRP, the Pacifica was a comparative failure. Then Chrysler followed up with the Sebring, which put to bed any hopes and prayers for an upscale Chrysler brand. Fong told Automotive News that Chrysler needs to be better differentiated from Dodge; a nameplate that management wants to be known more for driving dynamics. The only marque that will likely remain largely intact after Fiat's sweeping changes is Jeep, and even then, the Jeep lineup will likely receive more small, front-wheel drive-based vehicles in an effort to satisfy increasingly stringent CAFE standards.

While we can see how a more upscale Chrysler brand would be a great idea, we're having a hard time seeing how the Pentastar's namesake will catch up to Cadillac (or its competitors) any time soon. The resurgence of the Wreath and Crest has been seven years in the making, and even now the brand's success essentially rides on one product ? the CTS. New models like the BMW 3 Series-fighting ATS and large and luxurious XTS promise to rebuild some of the momentum that Cadillac has recently lost, but even that remains to be seen. Chrysler, on the other hand, currently has nothing that can reasonably be said to compete with Cadillac, and judging from comments made by Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, there isn't anything in the pipeline, either. It's good to dream, though, right?

First of all, fuck CAFE for damming the Jeep name to including shit econoboxes.

I admire the goals of Fiat here. In it's glory days Chrysler was the brand to own in the US and openly competed with legendary marquees both domestically and abroad. I would love to see Chrysler return to that from the small poorly built shitboxes they produce now.

Maybe it's the pessimist in me speaking, but the phrase "rebadged Alfas" springs to mind, no matter how hard I try to stop it. For that brief window in the late 90s, the LH cars looked like they had a shot at Buick at least, given that they were FWD, but it'll take a long hard slog with lots of money invested and the inevitable missteps along the way to have even half a chance against Cadillac. I hope they know what they're in for; they certainly can't just lean back on brand equity.

Bronze.jpg

Page02-reg.jpg

This is the attitude Chrysler should be cultivating, and the car they should be building.

so jeeps will have ?JEEP, by FIAT? badges now

Having something to aim for is better than wandering aimlessly, but it does leave the question of what to do with Dodge. They're going to have make something out of nothing for both companies.

apparently dodge will become sort of a pontiac-like brand, sure they won't make kick-ass vehicles like the G8 but still

i stand corrected. however so help me, if they keep producing the caliber...

No. no FWD ecobox jeeps. The wrangler is pleasantly small enough for people who generally not like big suvs to like. Do not make jeep worse plz.

Yeah, FWD Jeep is a no no, but I wouldn't be averse to the AWD Panda getting a Jeep badge. This is entirely because I want one.

Revive the imperial. I tell you, what Americans do still want a 25 foot long, rear-wheel drive, two-door.

[Edit] Damn, I see Blaro has beat me to it.

This makes much sense to me. I consider current Chryslers garbage, but would welcome them as true Luxofloats. Dodge being turned into a company for making cars that are actually cars sounds quite nice as well. Then there's Jeep. It feels gross and wrong to think of them having a rebadged Fiat in their lineup, but the fucking CAFE makes it just about impossible not to, unless they figure out a way to make some kind of wonderfully awesome full electric that retains the key things we all love about Jeeps.

I just noticed that Imperial coupe has a dining area bigger than the one in my apartment. That is so awesome.

Chrysler said this a couple years ago as well. I'll believe it when I see it.

My thoughts exactly. Even if this is more than just talk ... it's going to take years to get Chrysler at the same level as Buick. Much less Cadillac.

I hope for Chrysler's sake they can actually make their vehicles function properly at minimum. On Saturday I tried to start up a pretty new Chrysler 300(1800 km on the odo) and it started...only to die within milliseconds. This is not the first Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep I've encountered that had problems before 5000 kms. If I send a car to be repaired...90% of the time its a Chrysler product.

The thing is that was all lies from Daimler to justify the takeover, which we all now know was just a corporate raid.

FWD Jeep... Fuck that shit.

I'd welcome a smaller version of the wrangler... perhaps like the Suzuki Samurai. Fully functional selectable 4WD and 1.X L engine. Seats 4 or two with stuff. But for the love of god... NO FWD JEEPS!!!