Random Thoughts....

Apparently there was an earthquake in the south east area of Victoria. Anyone felt it? I didn't.

edit: It was around the south east suburbs and Mornington Peninsula but no reported damage. So I'm guessing it was a pointless one.

Last edited:
Just had a great day at the science center near uni running some schoo holiday activities for primary school kids.

We brought our F-SAE car down there along with some spare parts, and also showed the kids how to make a rubber-band powered car that they could take home. Unsurprisingly, being the big kids that we are, some of us had a crack at making some prety wild versions.

Last edited:
...so the indicator light's on the left side on right hand drive then? Any poms care to confirm or deny?

My australian suzuki, Toyota and Subaru all have the stalks on the right hand side of our RHD cars. My driving instructor's ford fiesta had the stalk on the left hand side as it was a uk import- made for some real fun at roundabouts!!!! :D

also blind, I'm a lefty driving a RHD car, so I'm all good :)

So apparently my SAE team wants to throw out the old 05 chassis.

:hmm:

Last edited:
Great, so yesterday evening (around 7:30pm) my phone goes off "Case of emergency, we've got a deployment. Don't know anything specific yet, but apparently there's a major fire."
Only problem, I had an exam today. Yeah, going off to a disaster site and staying there god knows how long through the night isn't exactly the ideal preparation for an exam. Oh well, needs must, so off I went.
As it turns, a warehouse at the harbor had caught fire and subsequently collapsed. When we arrived the fire brigade had already extinguished the flames, but there was still a lot of embers inside. So were tasked to help create some opening so the firefighters could spray inside.
In the end, we were far too many people, had very little to do, and stayed around till about 2am, even though we had nothing to do and could've left a lot earlier.

Until I was back home and in bed it was 3am, but I managed to get a good enough rest before the exam nevertheless.
Which didn't really help much, because the exam was a load of crap.
Oh well, that's life... :|

Pity about the exam. I hope you get a decent grade for it anyway. You THW then?

Any guesses what company will burn next week? ;)

Last edited:
Yup, THW.

And if all those stories about arsonist firemen are to be believed, you'd probably get a better answer asking one of them. :p

Doubtful about the exam, I'm even sceptical if it's enough to pass. But at least it's not just me, everyone I spoke to said the same thing, and the courses messageboard is alight with people complaining that it was a complete farce.

Last edited:
...so the indicator light's on the left side on right hand drive then? Any poms care to confirm or deny?
Right we get both. Originally those cars from manufacturers whose home market was RHD (i.e. ours and Japan mostly) the indicator was (correctly - for right handed people) on the right and the lights when on a stalk was on the left.

Over a period of time we got more and more stuff from Europe as most of our factories closed down, including Opel designed and made Vauxhalls, that had the indicator on the left (incorrect).

This has now become normal nearly all cars have the indicator stalk on the left now - most people could not care less.

I had a question regarding LHD and RHD, and more precisely conversions from RHD to LHD. I see quite a lot of cars in Peru that are supposed to be JDM only cars (Nissan Wingroad, Toyota ProBox, etc.) so RHD only cars but on the roads here in LHD form!
So I know you can do conversions of a RHD to a LHD but how do you do when the car is not sold in LHD markets? Where do you find the correct dashboard, etc.

What makes me saying that they are converted cars is that the indicator stalk is on the right of the steering, maybe I'm wrong!

They just probably have the dash from a similar non-JDM car that is LHD.

So, after watching miserable films like Nineteen Eighty-Four, I watched Encino Man (yeah, because of that DENIED gif) :mrgreen:

I'm at my dad's lab eating lunch, and his intern is talking to herself in Korean while setting up assays :blink:

I have the day off and decided to help out a friend by substitute teaching for him. Long story short I'm not really fond of high school students.

I can get all mine for free from the University Library.

Any crazy big/expensive books or just a bunch of them? I have a $203 1700+ page physics textbook that I had to buy.

Costliest book I had to buy is a 500 page economics book that cost 150euros which is 220 bucks. Talk about irony.