Australian V8 Supercars

DAVISONANDTANDERFORTHEMOTHERFUCKINGWIN

Commiserations bro. That was one tight race towards the end...I screamed my head off when Tander overtook Lowndes on the last lap when his tyre went off...holy crap that made my day. Cameron McConville's crash though....jesus, that guy is lucky his car is only in two pieces and not a million pieces.

Apart from McConvilles crash and the last lap geez it was a dull race. Glad I put it on the HDD recorder and speed watched it later this afternoon.

Bathurst is the only race that i'll generally watch the whole way through - mainly because it's an "event"

Next year's calendar is a bit of a joke too - cramming a heap of event in before July and then having a 9 week break mid season - conveniently so it doesn't clash with the 7 networks AFL coverage...

Next year's calendar is a bit of a joke too - cramming a heap of event in before July and then having a 9 week break mid season - conveniently so it doesn't clash with the 7 networks AFL coverage...

I agree that the 9 week mid season break is ridiculous.

The 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series:

18 ? 20 February Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
25 ? 27 February Desert 400, Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain
11 ? 14 March Clipsal 500, Adelaide Parklands, SA#
26 ? 28 March Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, VIC
16 ? 18 April ITM Hamilton 400, Hamilton, NZ
30 ? April 2 May Qld Raceway, QLD#*
14 ? 16 May Winton, VIC#
4 ? 6 June BigPond 300, Barbagallo, WA*
18 ? 20 June SKYCITY Triple Crown, Hidden Valley, NT
9 ? 11 July Dunlop Townsville 400, Townsville, QLD#
MID SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP BREAK
10 ? 12 Sept L&H 500, Phillip Island, VIC
7 ? 10 Oct Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Mt Panorama, NSW#
21 ? 24 Oct SuperGP, Surfers Paradise, QLD
5 ? 7 Nov Falken Tasmania Challenge, Symmons Plains, TAS
19 ? 21 Nov Norton 360 Sandown Challenge, Sandown, VIC#
3 ? 5 Dec Sydney Telstra 500, Homebush, NSW#

I agree that the 9 week mid season break is ridiculous.

It's almost going to be easy to "forget" about the championship for a couple of months. I think that length of time with no testing, no races, no nothing... means no media coverage which I'm sure sponsors would be thrilled at.

Apart from McConvilles crash and the last lap geez it was a dull race. Glad I put it on the HDD recorder and speed watched it later this afternoon.

Bathurst is the only race that i'll generally watch the whole way through - mainly because it's an "event"

I agree.

Just a heads up, this event wont be going ahead. They will race at Philip Island instead.

Just a heads up, this event wont be going ahead. They will race at Philip Island instead.

You mean the race in November won't be going ahead don't you ? ;)

Im actually not sure what i mean :p

Apparently the Barhain race early next year has been cancelled, and they will move the event to Philip Island...

Err, what? Got a source for that?

The Bahrain race in late '09 has been cancelled & replaced with Philip Island - the Bahrain race in early '10 is on.

The Bahrain race in late '09 has been cancelled & replaced with Philip Island - the Bahrain race in early '10 is on.

This.

So they are going BACK to phillip island this year?

Awesome track for bikes but after the 500 it was a snoozefest (see my previous posts here) Would much rather see them run again at Oran Park (it hasn't been turned into houses yet has it?)

So they are going BACK to phillip island this year?

Awesome track for bikes but after the 500 it was a snoozefest (see my previous posts here) Would much rather see them run again at Oran Park (it hasn't been turned into houses yet has it?)

Apparently. Nothing yet has been confirmed. Ridiculous. :rolleyes: Last i heard concerning Oran Park was that they were demolishing the track late '09 early '10. :( They could've had a race there but i don't think Cochrane wants to harm the crowds for the Sydney 500.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/september_2009/the_island_300/

The Island 300
Thursday 24/09/2009 13:00

Author: Press Release | Source: V8 Supercars Australia

PI Race B
V8 Supercar fans will have the chance to experience once-in-a-lifetime opportunities at ?The Island 300? on November 7-8 at Phillip Island.

The Championship Series revisits the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit after September?s L&H 500, with The Island 300 featuring two days of racing action and great opportunities for fans to get up-close and personal.

All ticket holders will have the chance for a free grid walk prior to the Sunday race, giving fans a chance to see V8 Supercars up-close before race start. They will also have free access to the V8 Supercar paddock on Saturday and Sunday.

The Island 300 replaces the Gulf Air Desert 400 in the 2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series originally scheduled for Bahrain International Circuit on November 5-7.

?V8 Supercars Australia and the Fox family, owners of the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit, will make contributions to two charities from the weekend?s activities as this replacement round is primarily designed to fulfil our television commitments,? V8 Supercars Australia Executive Chairman Tony Cochrane said.

?We have put together a great list of extremely affordable prices (listed below) for this one-off weekend to give people a wonderful opportunity to come along with friends and family at some of the best prices we can offer.?

The weekend was relocated to Phillip Island after the announcement of the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series, which begins with a Middle East double-header. The season opens at Abu Dhabi?s Yas Marina Circuit on February 18-20, before the second event at Bahrain International Circuit on February 25-27.

On track at The Island 300, Saturday will feature an all-in 20-minute qualifying session along with a Top 10 Shootout, before the 22-lap (100km) race. Sunday will then feature an all-in 20-minute qualifying session, followed by the 44-lap (200km) race.

?The Island 300 will give V8 Supercar fans the opportunity many are yet to experience,? Mr Cochrane said.

?The event will allow fans to get within arms-length of V8 Supercars, with a free grid walk and free V8 Supercar paddock access providing great opportunities for race fans at The Island 300.

?It will be great to see V8 Supercars back at Phillip Island especially after the tremendous L&H 500, which provided some of the most exciting racing of this V8 Supercar season.

?While V8 Supercars won?t visit Bahrain this season, it will be only a few months until the 2010 V8 Supercar season kicks off in the Middle East, at Abu Dhabi and then Bahrain.

?It?s an exciting time for V8 Supercars, with the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Nikon SuperGP and season-ending Sydney Telstra 500 all proving to be key events before V8 Supercar?s unprecedented Middle East double-header next year.?

Tickets for The Island 300 are on sale from tomorrow (Friday). General admission and grandstand options are available, with kids under 12 free. Corporate hospitality is also available.

Now confirmed.

Whincup in Race of Champions:

2008 V8 Supercar Champion, Jamie Whincup, will be the first four-wheel Aussie to compete in the 21-year history of the Race of Champions.

The TeamVodafone driver is one of 16 drivers from a number of motorsport categories that will take part in the November 2-4 event at the Bird?s Nest in Beijing.

Whincup, 26, will be put to the ultimate test, competing in a variety of cars over the course of the event.

His competitors at the 2008 Olympic Games stadium will include seven-time Formula One champ Michael Schumacher, current F1 points leader Jenson Button and current World Rally Championship points leader Mikko Hirvonen.

With the Bahrain V8 Supercar event not going ahead in November, Whincup was eager to pursue the opportunity now that it does not clash with his V8 commitments.

?I have always wanted to look at the possibility of doing one-off events providing they don?t interrupt our program and preparation at TeamVodafone,? he said.

?Initially I felt the Bahrain event would restrict my chances, but when it was cancelled it opened up the opportunity once more.?

Whincup predicts it will be an awesome experience.

?I will get to race some amazing cars against the likes of Schumacher and Button which is incredibly exciting,? he enthused.

?It will be great to mix it with these guys and find out what makes them tick.

?Don?t get me wrong, I?m not out there to fill in for (injured driver, Felipe) Massa at Ferrari, it?s all about having fun and hopefully I can help to further raise the profile of V8 Supercars and Australian motorsport in the process.?

Drivers will race on identical custom-created tracks built within the stadium.

A knockout-style format will see them progress through various divisions before two finalists go head-to-head in the ?super final?.

The vastly-different selection of vehicles will include a Ford Focus WRC, KTM X-Bow, Abarth 500 Assetto Corse, RoC custom car and RX 150.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/september_2009/whincup_in_race_of_champions/

Good luck to him. Hopefully we get some decent coverage of the event.

Thats awesome but when the hell did the Race of Champions get moved to Beijing?!?!?!?!?