Top Gear Show/Site Suggestions

^ Wrong thread for that suggestion.

This one, on the other hand...

I was reading through some of the posts that I've missed in here, and someone a few pages back mentioned Comic Relief/CIN specials and that got me thinking of something I remember suggesting somewhere else during season 12. They kept mentioning Strictly Come Dancing, since they were on a the same time as it, and I remember thinking that they ought to do like Strictly Top Dancing Gear or something similar. I'd pay money to see that.

Also, the idea of posting the live shows on the site/on DVD? I'd be up for that as well.

If, later on, it were possible to put Richard Hammond into Jay Leno's Ecojet Car, it would be absolutely hilarious to see Jay's face as Richard got behind the wheel. It would also be quite funny to see what Richard would have to say about the last car that he drove that ran on jet fuel.

Just having Richard sit in it would be one thing. Having him actually drive it...not gonna happen. (He's already said he would never drive a jet car again, out of respect for his wife, Mindy; not to mention I seriously doubt anyone else close to him would let him do so.)

I think Top Gear could gain more traction in the USA by filming some US specific items and marketing them to a network. Since BBC America is mostly watched on Satellite TV, it would make sense to pick a network that has popularity through that medium. I'm thinking something like Speed Channel, or something of that nature. But I would highly recommend doing some research to find out which would be best.

Somehow I think BBCA is more watched than Speed. Plus, how many viewers does TG get on BBCA? Does anyone know? (I imagine it's quite a bit.)

Perhaps there could be a small amount of research done to see what small things could be added to gain some following from a female audience as well.

How the (known) resident, US-based Not a Dudes (even those without pink usernames) who have said anything about it so far got into TG...

* Gullwing
* Carrie
* skylock
* hemoh
* yours truly
* ldhenson
* carolsLittleWorld
* Rumer
* Artemekiia
* Addikt

I think using a race track located in the USA for the car reviews would be a great idea. One of the three presenters (preferably all three would have a go at one of the reviews at some time another, or perhaps all three could do a review of three cars at once... that type of thing) could drive around talking about a specific car, whilst making remarks alluding to the proper show on BBC America. The car could go on to be lapped by The Stig, or a Stiglike character. Something like the current show format, only shrunken down to maybe 17-23 minutes of film, or perhaps less, with room for the chosen network to add commercials. Part of the contractual agreement with the chosen network would include advertising for Top Gear, on BBC America. "See full 1 hour episodes of the worldwide phenomenon, Top Gear, on BBC America".

Aside from Laguna Seca, and the racetrack they visited in 9x03, I can't think of any racetracks over here that aren't ovals. What if they found an airfield and recreated their own test track, as another option?

A new challenge idea....

It's a well known fact that motorhome folk (in the UK at least) consider themselves their own little clique within the caravan community. Many say caravans are stupid and a motorhome is the way to do it.

It's well known that TG's previous attempt at a caravan holiday didn't go that well, so maybe they'll have more luck with campervans?

It's the motorhome racing, caravan holiday and porsche challenge in one: they each get ?5k to spend on a motorhome for a trip round Europe etc. etc. etc.

Simple suggestion - since we in the USA only get TG in bits and pieces, some of which seem very old, it would be very nice if the model year were given when street cars are reviewed. (For example - The TG last night had the Tall & Loud One complaining he had bird flu - now that has to be several years old!) Really - how simple could that be!

Side note - BBCA is fairly new to my cable system, so I have only recently found TG - it is funny enough to find a place on Comedy Central with Stewart and Colbert. But I do pay attention to the reviews because, while humorous, they seem balanced and informative as well.

Simple suggestion - since we in the USA only get TG in bits and pieces, some of which seem very old, it would be very nice if the model year were given when street cars are reviewed. (For example - The TG last night had the Tall & Loud One complaining he had bird flu - now that has to be several years old!) Really - how simple could that be!

The episode you're referring to is 10x06. That originally aired toward the end of 2007, so it's not as old as you're thinking.

To give you an idea of the original airtimes for what BBCA has aired so far, compared to when BBCA first ran them (you can look TG up on Wiki if you want exact UK OADs)...

Series 6 = spring/summer 2005 | summer 2008

Series 7 = fall/winter 2005 | currently airing Mondays

Winter Olympics = March 2006 | February 2009

Series 8 = spring/summer 2006 | first series BBCA aired, I think...summer 2007

Series 9 = January and February 2007 | summer/fall 2007?

Polar Special = July 2007 | has not aired Stateside

Series 10 = fall/winter 2007 | winter 2008?

Series 11 = summer 2008 | winter 2008/09

Series 12 = late fall/winter 2008 | winter 2009

Series 13 = summer 2009 | unknown (though I'm predicting winter, in tandem with S14 after it finishes in the UK)

How about an ambulance challenge? They each have ?2000 to buy and convert cars/vans into ambulances and are then issued challenges such as:

• Patient Safety - i.e. a mannequin (perhaps dressed as one of the other presenters) is on the bed in back, and they must do a series of driving challenges at speed without 'killing' the dummy
  • Evasive Driving - the track is littered with obstacles which must be negotiated as fast as possible without hitting anything
  • The Stig taking them on a lap
  • First Aid to a mannequin

Might sound a bit morbid but the thought of James May turning up in a crappy LDV Van with naff paintwork is hilarious

Can I make a suggestion for the American site? Could it somehow incorporate the little flag links back to the UK and Australian sites like the main topgear.com/uk one does?

I miss having an easy linky back to the other TG sites.

How about an ambulance challenge?

Not the first time it's been suggested (somewhere waaaaay back on one of the earlier pages, I believe, it was first suggested); but I'm still going to :nod: in agreement to that, and reiterate my support for one of said cheap "ambulances" being a hearse.

Again, I vote for more classic sportscars to be involved in the show. For example they could test the new Mercedes SLS AMG and feature its antetype in the test: The 300SL gullwing. Same for the Ferrari California - why not asking Chris Evans to lend them the real deal?

And a 250 GTO should be pictured. The best available sportscar for the best available sportscar tv show.

All these cars are available in Britain.

Who can sell the most cars?

Who is faster in a Nascar?

Who is faster in a kart race?

Who can build the best Monster Truck?

Who can build the best Hybrid car?

Who can build the best Hybrid car?

Lol, do you think Clarkson would participate in such a challenge? :D

The monstertruck idea is great. Has there ever been a challenge where the boys had to prepare a car for a dragrace? That would be nice as well.

Lol, do you think Clarkson would participate in such a challenge? :D

Ahh but you see, the guys wouldn't build another Prius. They would probably get a Rear wheel drive sports car and put in some kind of monstrous electric motor to drive the front wheels. It'll be front wheel drive for 10 feet then rear wheel drive for the rest.

Ahh but you see, the guys wouldn't build another Prius. They would probably get a Rear wheel drive sports car and put in some kind of monstrous electric motor to drive the front wheels. It'll be front wheel drive for 10 feet then rear wheel drive for the rest.

But how would you do burnouts and wheelies? :cry:

I've got a suggestion for the website.

STOP TELLING US WHAT TO DO!

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of reading a piece, getting to the end, and then being ordered to watch a clip from TG. Instead of patronising us with "Now watch........." why not dream up something a little better like. "If you want to remind yourself...." or "Do you remember......"??????

I know TG is rivalling Tesco in the world-domination stakes right now, but when they start issuing orders.........

I'd like to see the Ariel Atom V8 vs Caterham 7's V8, and give them a series of challenges.