processor getting kinda hot...

LeVeL

Forum Addict
I don't know specific temperature specs on my processor but from my observations I've noticed that it should be sitting around 47C. Lately its been at 51-55 a lot and earlier this afternoon I found it sitting idle at 64C. What's going on? Should I be worried? And no, I didn't have any unusual programs running in the background; firefox can be a memory hog but it wasn't causing problems today as I had restarted it recently).

Some processors run hotter than others. what processor do you have? specifically what core?

A lot of times this is caused by dust buildup on the fins of your heatsink (the metal thing that sits on top of your processor and has a fan sitting on top of it). If there is dist there use compressed air to clear it.

Dust would explain it, especially in a laptop (they tend to run hot anyway). I just cleaned out my brother's overheating Gateway and it went from fan on constant full blast with intermittent shutdowns to fan occasionally goes on for a few minutes at a time.

That'll also make it faster - processors throttle down if they get too hot.

Only Intel Processors throttle down i believe

My AMD X2 always runs at 50c Idle and usually reaches temps of 70c-90c on Load depending if the fan sensors are working properly or not, then the whole computer just shuts down due to heat -_-" Changed cooler once, i'm just gonna buy a new processor/mobo soon.

Last edited:
My amd 64x2 mobility is 42c @ 864 Mhz (2Ghz is normal) in low power usage mode.
Max Power is 56-60c @ 2Ghz,
66c when boinc running 3 cpu's (how 3 and not 2 i don't know?)+ 0 cuda.

72c is max i have seen, and i use canned air like every 3 monhts.

ps. Speedfan IS your friend!

Last edited:
Only Intel Processors throttle down i believe

My AMD X2 always runs at 50c Idle and usually reaches temps of 70c-90c on Load depending if the fan sensors are working properly or not, then the whole computer just shuts down due to heat -_-" Changed cooler once, i'm just gonna buy a new processor/mobo soon.

That, sir, is not a problem with the processor. Sounds like a serious problem with your thermal coupling between your processor and the heatsink/fan.

Also, my P8700 idles at 30, loads on COD4 at 65. Same with the GTX260M, and the hard drive, and the lappy's internal temp.

Yeah a PC at work that I was preparing had the fan at full speed, I didn't check the temps but I assume they were high (Pentium 4). When I opened it up and took the cowling off the heatsink (Dell) it just fell off. There was no connection between it and the CPU. Got some Akasa Arctic Silver and it's been fine.

I'd check that first. Speedfan is good, but I've ditched it since I got this new Mobo. The ASUS Q-fan is fantastic, keeps it really quiet and I've never had a heat problem.

my intel quad q9300 idles around 40-50 load around 60 on stock cooler... had to put in my stock cooler (unused) because my aftermarket cpu fan wouldnt fit in the case <.> its performs about the same as the aftermarket.. probably because its completely new now, and the aftermarket one was old tired and dusty.... my gfx card idles around 30-40 tho and the same under load.. mostly because it has 2 fans and one in the side of the case (120mm) blowing right into it... (gainward gtx 275)

70C is ok. When I had my E8400 overclocked to within an inch of its life, load temps were in the 80C range and it is still working no problem in a friends computer. You really need to watch out when you get into the 90+C range, that is when there is danger.

Dust is the most likely cause.

I got like 20C lower CPU temps when I completely cleaned the heatsink, changed the thermal paste, vacuumed the case and cleaned the case fans.

Last edited:
^ same, when my computer got fixed (due to failure from overheating ironically), they pulled a heap of dust out and it runs wonderfully now- I don't burn my leg on the underside of my desk anymore! :D
just be warned though, opening the case of your computer (esp a laptop or netbook) can void any warranties you have on it. Check whether the manufacturer lets you or if they have any authorised cleaning services or something.

I'm always doing that with out work computers, they're complete dust magnets. The new ones aren't so bad though.

Wash it in the bath tub. Seriously though I've installed filters on my pc so I don't have to clean it out, also because im that nerdy.

That, sir, is not a problem with the processor. Sounds like a serious problem with your thermal coupling between your processor and the heatsink/fan.

I know, but i just want a quad core anyways :p

Ditched Mozilla "Memory Hog" Firefox in favor of Chrome and voila! problem solved!

That sounds like you have a deeper problem. Did you check the heat sink mounting and thermal compound? If you have CPU heat issues, avoiding load shouldn't be the solution.

That sounds like you have a deeper problem. Did you check the heat sink mounting and thermal compound? If you have CPU heat issues, avoiding load shouldn't be the solution.

Its a pain to get all the way down to the heat sink so I keep putting it off. Avoiding load is the only thing that's been working for me :dunno: What could the problem be?