Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

OK, so, some of my mom's co-workers have asked if I would do portraits. One wants family portraits (which terrifies me), one wants pet portraits (not so scary to me :p).

I am NOT a people-person, so my main fear is that I just don't think I can do anything original and I think posed pictures almost always look cheesy. I've always maintained that intimacy with and/or interest in the subject is crucial to making good photos... like I said, I'm not a people-person.

I agree, I have shied away from taking any people shots. I stick to what I'm good with: still-life and automotive.

I think its not a problem of the subject not liking the pictures, because they definitely will, but to us, with critical photographer's perspective, we feel that people shots are unoriginal and don't provide anything.

As for your photography walks...you are constantly posting up amazing shots! You definitely got something going on...

It's different from camera to camera, as dynamic range differs from sensor to sensor. If you can have sensors with larger dynamic range than one another, you can definatly have sensors that have more room in either the highlights or the shadows, relatively speaking.

The art of exposure is creating a RAW file that has the largest amount of image information that can be retrieved.

It's not about wether you like this result, it just shows what information you can pick up from a RAW file, but it differs from camera to camera what holds up best, with Olympus, it's the shadows, Nikon has usually been good at keeping shadows, Canon good at holding highlights.

I'm not quite sure you understand. This has nothing to do with dynamic range. The most amount of data is captured in the highlights (half the data is contained in the first brightest stop).

Edit: There's another school of thought that says you should just aim for the "perfect" exposure to begin with and your image will require minimal processing as a result and this won't be an issue for you. Of course this only really applies to people who use minimal processing anyway. If you'd taken that angle I could understand your argument, it's just that you specifically used the words, "the largest amount of image information".

Also, I'm not quite sure how that test was done (you have a link?) but I don't see 2-2.5 stops difference at either end of the scale.

Last edited:
For anyone here who doesn't check Woot on a daily basis, they have a 35mm negative/slide scanner on for $40 today.

Awww... it doesn't have to be that expensive ;)

I pay $15/year for my domain, and host my self-made website on an old desktop in my bedroom for nothing beyond the cost of a regular DSL connection :lol:

Last edited:
I was paying about ?30 a year for the hosting etc, and I won't be upgrading to Flickr Pro until I need to. It was just a huge pain to upload anything, and Flickr is a much better way to get things around. Add to the fact I know nothing of web design so it was basically graphics with links.

i host my "site" in my own 500mhz celeron and domain is free.

I used a free domain until a little while ago when I wanted to print some cards, and "eppb.myphotos.cc" is just corny ;)

I have just have eppbphoto.com redirect to it now.

tahitian friends are always there for you, .tk

Indeed, but dotcom looks and sounds better on a card.

So, why do they give away .tk for free?

Because why would you want to pay to have .tk on the end of your website? And they do offer a pay service, and it has gotten a fair bit of attention, that's for sure.

If you register a firm in Norway, you can register .sj (Svalbard and Jan Mayen) and .bv (Bovet?ya). :D

JUST GOT MY HANDS ON A SOLIGOR 30DA!!! Holy crap I never would have tought that my hostfamily in Germany would have something like that in store for me. And there's more: I also got my hands on a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1:1.8 objective and a Hoya 80-200 1:4!! :shock:

I don't know if you're still looking for legal stuff, Epp, but this pretty much outlines every law that affects photography. Essentially, do whatever you want as long as you don't break any laws, nobody can stop you, and get signed releases when making money or else the subject reserves the right to sue you.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws.php

Thanks, Ramseus, though I've been through that particular page numerous times.

I've confirmed with the magazine that waivers/releases aren't required for editorial use of photos taken in public areas.

either way it's good information for the rest of the canucks too

JUST GOT MY HANDS ON A SOLIGOR 30DA!!! Holy crap I never would have tought that my hostfamily in Germany would have something like that in store for me. And there's more: I also got my hands on a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1:1.8 objective and a Hoya 80-200 1:4!! :shock:
Canon AE-1 is a fun little camera. Just loaned mine out to one of our dark room students. The A-1 stays with me ;)