Autoblog: The cops get a Zeta sedan: GM unveils 355 hp Chevy Caprice police car

dear GM:

YOU HAVE A FUCKING GOLDMINE IN YOUR FEET, IT COULDN'T BE MORE OBVIOUS IF IT WAS SET ALIGHT AND HAD A GIANT NEON SIGN, GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES AND REALIZE IT.

honestly, people are willing to pay for it with cold hard fucking cash, you know, the thing you need right now

teh loves,
gaasc

Indeed.

GM won't sell it to the general public because the current trend in policing is cars with what they call "command presence" which means they look distinctive enough from anything else on the road that people pay attention to them. You know, as if the flashing lights weren't enough. Of course, the forces that don't buy into this whole "command presence" thing ruin it for everyone else anyway by selling them on. Bottom line, they figure they can sell more of them in fleet quantities with that nifty "command presence" buzzword in the brochure than they could selling them to the public.

... And they're probably right. What eco-friendly wanker American is going to buy a V8 powered muscle-sedan? The Charger isn't exactly selling like hotcakes on the civilian market. The entire "performance minded" demographic is obsessed with silly riceboxes, or will outright reject anything with 4 doors.

Last edited:
The funny thing is, a statesman here in AUS is about as an expensive as a 5 series.

You sure? Impalas and especially Crown Vics are often noticed by regular, non-petrolhead drivers. Even if you aren't big on cars, you know what the police tend to drive, especially if you're the kind of person they're trying to nab with an undercover car.

Because Impalas and Crown Vics have been around as police cars FOR FUCKING EVER. Pull out an older model Crown Vic, or a Caprice, and you'll have people confused to all hell.

Take a look at the other cars that are fairly commonly used in policing - when's the last time you saw someone brake for a Ford Explorer, or a Charger? (Trufax, I see more late model Explorers in police service than I do anywhere else on earth. The ratio is even higher than Crown Vics)

Bottom line, as departments transition off the Vic, expect successul months on the speed traps.

Because Impalas and Crown Vics have been around as police cars FOR FUCKING EVER. Pull out an older model Crown Vic, or a Caprice, and you'll have people confused to all hell.

Take a look at the other cars that are fairly commonly used in policing - when's the last time you saw someone brake for a Ford Explorer, or a Charger? (Trufax, I see more late model Explorers in police service than I do anywhere else on earth. The ratio is even higher than Crown Vics)

Bottom line, as departments transition off the Vic, expect successul months on the speed traps.

Oh yeah, there will be several months as people get used to the new car, but give them a year and people will recognize them, especially if they're police exclusive like the Crown Vic (by contrast the Impala gets noticed because nobody buys them).

Naturally, as already pointed out, I'm clinging to the faint hope that the Impala will get shitcanned (everyone wants the Impala shitcanned) and this will eventually take its place, but it's kinda pointless to sell a "stealth" version of a car that no civilian will drive. It'd make way more sense to do all your stealth police cars as Tahoes or similar if you want to something people will actually not be instantly suspicious of, unless you want civilians to get them as well, eventually.

Not that core, I think the coolest recent cop cars are the chargers they have in Calgary, those are bad ass.

It's got a cop motor, a 6 liter plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made after catalytic converters so it won't run worth a crap on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

^fix the cigarette lighter

I've had an idea. This should be the new Caprice, and the G8 should be sold as the Malibu. Then Chevy would be in order once again.

dear GM:

YOU HAVE A FUCKING GOLDMINE IN YOUR FEET, IT COULDN'T BE MORE OBVIOUS IF IT WAS SET ALIGHT AND HAD A GIANT NEON SIGN, GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES AND REALIZE IT.

honestly, people are willing to pay for it with cold hard fucking cash, you know, the thing you need right now

teh loves,
gaasc

The Caprice? I wouldn't buy one.