Concept: Toyota FT-86 Concept

"This Genesis is a real problem for us."
"Why don't we just make something kind of similar but uglier?"
"Yeah, let's do that."

I absolutely love the way this car looks and while the interior is hideous in a lot of ways it will be changed a lot for production anyhow. I've been begging Toyota to make a car like this because we know they can make sporty cars if they so choose, but I'm slightly apprehensive about what it will be like to drive since Toyota hasn't made a very aggressive car in a long time.

It'll be just like the original AE86. Crap handling, crap to drive, probably a poor choice for a tuner/drift car, but one hell of a cult following and aftermarket to make it a better performing car. Well, I'm sure Toyota would like at least the latter part. If it's cheap (like the original AE86) then I wouldn't mind at least test driving it if it comes to production. Though the rear end is a tad boring...

Me likey.

Now, put it into production Toyota and regain your honor !

:p

Oh come on, you guys are funny. Toyota FINALLY makes something with exciting potential and some of you guys still don't like it. It may not be the prettiest car ever but I'd like them to make it.

I don't think it will be all that cheap... probably 30-40k would be my guess. Looks more expensive than an RX-8.

Last edited:
Looks like a mini LF-A. I like it a lot.

"This Genesis is a real problem for us."
"Why don't we just make something kind of similar but uglier?"
"Yeah, let's do that."

Too bad they failed in their plan miserably, since that Concept looks a shit ton better than the crooked headlights/fucked up rear side window -genesis..

It'll be just like the original AE86. Crap handling, crap to drive, probably a poor choice for a tuner/drift car, but one hell of a cult following and aftermarket to make it a better performing car. Well, I'm sure Toyota would like at least the latter part. If it's cheap (like the original AE86) then I wouldn't mind at least test driving it if it comes to production. Though the rear end is a tad boring...

Or it could be like the AW11 MR2 or ZZT231 and have brilliant handling, be fun to drive, etc.

I like it.

Enough with the mega-expensive supersportscars. I want this -- inexpensive and certain to be a lot of fun to drive without requiring a lifestyle change to own it.

Steve

Too bad they failed in their plan miserably, since that Concept looks a shit ton better than the crooked headlights/fucked up rear side window -genesis..

This, the Genesis is effing ghastly.

Anyone else notice a little 370Z in there?

There is a little of everything in there. Meh...

Edit: I think if they toned down the ridiculous styling a bit, gave it 200hp at 2500lbs and sold it for 25k it would be the next 240sx. There is a possibility of a genuinely good car here, but leave it to the bean counters to fuck it up...

Last edited:
I like it a lot. Don't care about the futuristic interior but the exterior is bold. Which is exactly why Toyota would never put it into production looking exactly like that.

And they they wonder why they're being hit financially.

And then they fail to see the connection.

If it was ?12-15k in the uk it would win. If people had more than that they'd want a more serious sports car, so Toyota would need to fall on the correct side of that price-point or it would all be pointless.