The netbook thread

^what he said. People still don't seem to get what makes a netbook a netbook...

So I'm thinking of buying a new netbook because my eeepc900 just doesn't cut it.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Lenovo S10-e and new Samsung (the one with like 10hrs battery life or something).

Thought?

As the extremely happy owner of an Acer I can only recommend Acer's netbook offerings. :p

My inlaws have an NC10, and it is largely the same, but it seems to me to be a lot more flimsy (quality of plastics and sturdiness wise).

also, depends if you want a glossy or matte screen

Totally satisfied with my Acer as well, and I have an older 9" model. Build quality is better than any laptop I've ever used, with the exception of an unusually soft right mouse button (but it works fine).

I was looking at the Lenovo because its on special atm with a 6-cell battery, and that I'm a big Lenovo fanboy :p

The NC-10 was my other option. It certainly seems to be an intriguing proposition.

Most netbooks are pretty similarly specced anyway, so I'm just looking for something Reliable, solid and with good support.

^ the s10-e is the one they are giving to all the high school kids, which seems to speak well for them. they look pretty sturdy in person, but I haven't got to use one (the damn kids get win7!!!!!)

I was looking at them too last night, the warranties are the best I have seen yet (how sad is it that the thing I rave on about is the warranty???)

^Not really sad if you remember my hassles dealing with Asus warranty.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Lenovo S10-e and new Samsung (the one with like 10hrs battery life or something).

Haven't used either, but I can't believe the new Samsung actually lasts 10 hours on batteries under 'normal' usage.

Jolicloud, the "social" netbook OS, is quite a disappointment...

All they did is create "shortcuts" of social websites like twitter, facebook, etc. I'll think I'll keep it though, it's based on Ubuntu Netbook remix but without all the heavy OpenOffice and other stuff I don't need on my 4Gigs eeePC.

Has anyone here tried Moblin?

I'm consdeiring giving it a try on my eeepc900.

yes, i tried it a few months ago, it is teh fail.

Was a pre production beta though, it ran quick(even off USB drive), but all it had was browser, crappy video player and a few boring games...

Goddammit, DO WANT.

Acer Ferrari One (Link in Dutch, screw you if you can't read it, it's mostly tech specs anyway)

with and 11" screen and a pricetag of 550?,it's out of netbook territory, but dammit it does look good.

Anyone else have some info on the cool "add an external video card" feature? My google fu is weak, can't find anything else than the ATI site

Hey, sorry to bump the thread.
To all of you people who ave upgraded the RAM in your netbooks,

a) Was there any noticeable difference? Was it worth the time/energy/money/etc?
b) was it difficult to do? Did you need any special tools or was it a simple unscrew the cover and swap job?
c) can you just use normal notebook RAM, or do you need to buy a special "netbook" type of RAM?
d) does this generally void your warranty?

I ask all of this becasue the new officeworks up the road is selling 2GB sticks of notebook RAM for an insanely cheap price, and I thought i might pick some up and keep it aside to stick in my netbook whenever I get it 9if it doesn't already come with 2 gig). No real point sticking it in my laptop, it's not going to make a difference and it voids my warranty anyway.

Thanks, sorry!

1) You just use normal notebook ram.

2) Considering RAM these days is insanely cheap, there's no reason not to bump it up.

3) Its like a 5 minute job. Just need a scredriver to open up the back panel to access the RAM slots.

4) It is slightly quicker.

a) Was there any noticeable difference? Was it worth the time/energy/money/etc?
b) was it difficult to do? Did you need any special tools or was it a simple unscrew the cover and swap job?
c) can you just use normal notebook RAM, or do you need to buy a special "netbook" type of RAM?
d) does this generally void your warranty?

a) it's slightly faster when you have a lot of programs/websites open at the same time. Coming out of hibernate is also significantly quicker

b) 30 second job, 2 screws. FYI this is the first time I ever opened up a laptop. Since I'm posting this from said laptop Id say it worked

c) dunno, I just asked the dude at the store for RAM for my Acer netbook

d) I have no idea, but I should guess not. This particular netbook was designed to be upgraded, so the access is easy. Other (older) netbooks may require you to completely take the thing apart, which WILL void warranty

the only reason for upgrading for me was that RAM is so dirt cheap nowadays, you can't NOT do it...