Concept: Toyota FT-86 Concept

If Toyota decides to make this with little compromise, I will retire my Cressida as a daily driver allowing me to preserve it easier. If they keep the dashboard like that, I'll be very happy because I hate analog dashes since I have a very good digital dash.

Who wouldn't buy a repro AE86, CitiGolf style? :cool: With the Levin front instead of Trueno pop-ups, some updated details and a driver's airbag...

DO WANT! But, um, not that interior. Zippers = fail.

They should roll with the "FT = Fujiwara Takumi" idea, though. Whatever FT stood for before...scrap it, that's not as awesome.

Well, I bet most people willing to guy it will roll with the TF=Takumi Fujiwara. :lol:

DO WANT! But, um, not that interior. Zippers = fail.

They should roll with the "FT = Fujiwara Takumi" idea, though. Whatever FT stood for before...scrap it, that's not as awesome.

toyota-FT-EV-II-concept-4.jpg

Keep in mind THAT also has FT written on it.

I LIKE IT! :thumbsup:

First thing that caught me though, is that the styling reminds me of the last-gen Celica; maybe this is the next one?

02-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

celica1.jpg

05-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

Image007.jpg

I just hope this isn't the "Toyobaru" they were talking about, because I don't like the idea of a Toyota with a Subaru engine, kinda ruins the point of a Toyota (reliability). Also, this will compete against the Genesis coupe because nobody ATM, apart from Hyundai, is offering a RWD sporty coupe with a 4-cyl in that price bracket. I think Toyota should make this with a choice of 2 engines: a larger N/A 4-cyl (to match the 2.0 T in the Genesis), and their popular 3.5 L V6 (to go against the Genesis' 3.8 L V6).

+1 for them making a next-gen Celica with RWD!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just hope this isn't the "Toyobaru" they were talking about, because I don't like the idea of a Toyota with a Subaru engine, kinda ruins the point of a Toyota (reliability). Also, this will compete against the Genesis coupe because nobody ATM, apart from Hyundai, is offering a RWD sporty coupe with a 4-cyl in that price bracket. I think Toyota should make this with a choice of 2 engines: a larger N/A 4-cyl (to match the 2.0 T in the Genesis), and their popular 3.5 L V6 (to go against the Genesis' 3.8 L V6).

This IS the "toybaru".

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/toyota-ft-86-2009-10-06

expected to be powered by a Subaru 2.0L N/A boxer engine with around 150bhp. Makes sense knowing Toyota has 8% shares in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru)

Other news reports say that Subaru will also build their version of the FT-86 with the styling changed a bit.

People are thinking (reflexions) that maybe Subaru will get the car with the turbo application, and Toyota with the N/A motor. Others are saying this would cannibalise the wrx sales...

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the cheap and sporty RWD coupe segment is making a comeback!

Last edited:
T
People are thinking (reflexions) that maybe Subaru will get the car with the turbo application, and Toyota with the N/A motor. Others are saying this would cannibalise the wrx sales...

That's an major undestatement! Even Subaru can't spoil the design enough to make this car ugly.
And nobody would buy the WRX.

150hp sounds slightly too little for a car like this. Is it really so light that 150hp could be sufficient?

I like it, I really hope it makes it into production but why do I still get the feeling that the interior has this kinda 'cheapish' feel to it.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20776
SUBARU'S SMALL COUPE REVEALED

Sketches of Subaru's half of the 'Toyobaru' Toyota-Subaru small coupe project leak out

These design sketches reveal some of Subaru's plans for its half of the new 'Toyobaru' coupe.

Toyota has already revealed its version and, although the Toyota FT-86 is still officially a concept, Toyota says that it is extremely close to the finished production version.

But while Toyota is heading to the forthcoming Tokyo motor show with a near-finished product, Subaru's version hasn't even been given the official green light yet, let alone reached the design sign-off stage.

As these pictures, leaked to Autocar show, the Subaru coupe is at a far less finished stage, with final design details still to be settled.

With an on-sale date for the Toyota of late 2011, it is unlikely that a Subaru version will be production-ready in time to hit the showrooms simultaneously - especially since Subaru has far fewer R&D resources to call upon.

The Toyobaru is also a controversial idea within Subaru, being well out of Subaru's comfort zone - it doesn't have four-wheel drive and Subaru has never done a small rear-wheel drive coupe before. The thought of sharing its boxer technology and chassis development knowledge with Toyota (the Toyobaru project has been largely engineered by Subaru and will be built by Subaru) is also said to make some Subaru high-ups uncomfortable.

On the other hand, a small, rear-drive coupe would provide Subaru with some much-needed new metal and open the company up to new customers. A technical partnership with Toyota could also reap plenty of benefits in the form of potential engineering contracts to help develop new sporty Toyotas.

Subaru_4-L.jpg

Subaru_3-L.jpg

Way to fall behind Subaru.

That concept is approaching Zenovo levels of anger.

zenvo_st1-7.jpg

Does Toyota do motorsport anymore?

They're still spending millions of monies in F1 and are nowhere most of the time.
Occasionally a pole position or podium falls into their lap when the weather gets crazy/everyone else forgets how to drive/they manage to have a good strategy, but that's about it.

I'm fine with Subaru having it's own version, with it's own engine; a boxer-powered Toyota just doesn't feel right. I want the Toyota version to come with Subaru suspension, so it would handle better, but still have a Toyota engine.

Also, names: Subaru version should be called "SVX", and the Toyota should be the next "Celica"! :D

i'll have mine in white-black with a CF hood

Last edited:
I LIKE IT! :thumbsup:

The Camaro is in the same bracket, but with a 300 HP V6...