Hammy - I Am so - Jammy

That website has some some serious publishing issues with spacing. I don't think I can make it through. Just skimming it sure doesn't seem to say anything new. I am a little curious why such a long article in a CA "paper" though, but not curious enough to force my way through it.

First thing noticed: The americans don't mention the crash in the last paragraph like the brits do, but use it as an opener to catch the reader's attention.

Wait, why is this article so british? "Motoring on TV"? That's not what an U.S. paper would normally write, is it?

Aaaah, now it makes sense:

Last line and footer said:
Richard Hammond's Blast Lab is out on DVD on October 19.

(c) 2009 Daily Record; Glasgow (UK). Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.

The crash is mentioned in the first paragraph on this article because this is a feature, and news articles tend to be structured in a very different style - the most important information comes first and old or additional information is relegated to the last few paragraphs, as only about 10 per cent of people read that far.

Either way, I've seen better writing in our crappy campus newspaper. Almost the entire thing is quotes, and it does a terrible job introducing Hammond to a relatively unfamiliar American audience. Even the token jet crash metaphor felt tacked-on.

Er, do people in the US use "jammy" as a synonym for "lucky"?

Er, do people in the US use "jammy" as a synonym for "lucky"?

Never, that was why it surprised me so much to find out it was a Calif paper.

To be honest though, I would be embarrassed to have my name on that piece of crap at all. No proof reader, no spell check?
Lazy assed employees they got there.

SPACES. They go between words. All words.

They even missed one in the title!

Either way, I've seen better writing in our crappy campus newspaper. Almost the entire thing is quotes, and it does a terrible job introducing Hammond to a relatively unfamiliar American audience. Even the token jet crash metaphor felt tacked-on.

You are aware that the California Chronicle simply reproduced a piece from a British publication, right? The mistakes are all in the original; the Chronicle people were just too lazy to correct them. :nod: So, if anything, both were/are lazy.

To be honest though, I would be embarrassed to have my name on that piece of crap at all. No proof reader, no spell check?
Lazy assed employees they got there.

Welcome to the Daily Record, Glasgow's finest only homegrown tabloid newspaper.

You are aware that the California Chronicle simply reproduced a piece from a British publication, right? The mistakes are all in the original; the Chronicle people were just too lazy to correct them. :nod: So, if anything, both were/are lazy.

That makes it even worse! At least the British know who he is! :blink:

The crash is mentioned in the first paragraph on this article because this is a feature, and news articles tend to be structured in a very different style - the most important information comes first and old or additional information is relegated to the last few paragraphs, as only about 10 per cent of people read that far.

Actually, this is not the case cause this is no feature, either. Some publications (and the Daily Record seems to be among them, as is Legacy, for which i once wrote) prefer interviews to be edited into continuous text, rather than printing them in question/answer format. That's also why its, as someone mentioned, "almost entierely quotes" - it's a disguised interview.

Does not make the sloppy editing any better, though.