Random Thoughts....

All I have is a debit MasterCard. I daresay I won't get a credit card for a few years, when I will be working full time and have a bit more money to pay off the balance with before I start getting interest calculated. I will get a corporate AMEX card from my job, but that will be for work-related expenses only and I won't have to worry about paying for that one :lol:

^Debit mastercard = WIN.

So much more convenient than Eftpos, and its free!

Yeah, I've only got a debit Visa which works the exact same as a credit card- protection included. I don't particularly want an actual credit card at this point, once I'm done with school and doing well on my own I'll look into one, but as a student paying out of pocket for school and about to be 21, I don't need to have a credit card available to me. :lol:

Well, besides delaying payment for a month, all purchases with my Amex Gold are insured against theft and damage and contain an extra warranty (in case the retailer refuses to take an item back). Also I get discounts at car rentals and have travel insurances included.

And I'm collecting points with it. I just got a 100 Euro voucher for Amazon.de for those points.

There are other benefits I have no use for currently, like travel insurances, a global assist service and such stuff, but it's nice to know you have them.

Last edited:
The protection is the important part. Most banks do not protect debit cards the same way they do with credit cards. Also, some credit cards give free rental car insurance, which is handy.

I get that through USAA.

The protection is the important part. Most banks do not protect debit cards the same way they do with credit cards. Also, some credit cards give free rental car insurance, which is handy.

My bank has exactly the same protections on debit as credit. Hence why I have never seen a reason to have a CC.

If you're smart, you'll cut that card up right this minute and run cash only for at least a year until you get the hang of healthy spending.

Probably a smart idea. I originally got it "for emergencies"...I've put it in a book on my bookshelf and there it will stay. At the moment I'm only using it to pay for online postage (I sell my books on Amazon), and I can easily pay that off each month in full.

In vaguely money-related news, I only just realised that the quarter (the US coin) is worth 25c. I realise that makes me sound really stupid, but in my defence I've never visited the US or handled the currency.

I'm currently having my mind blown by the concept of 25p coins...

Denominations:

1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 cents.

Mind = blown? It really doesn't make any sense at all.

Does 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 cent and 1 and 2 Euro coins make more sense? ;)

Denominations:

1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 cents.

Mind = blown? It really doesn't make any sense at all.

As far as I know, most of Europe uses 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100.

In my head, someone's sat down and gone "Right, our basic building block is the 1, then we'll use important "round" numbers from then on".

With 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 someone's sat down and gone "Right, our basic building block is the 100, what fractions can we use?"

Each of them are perfectly reasonable things, I've just never thought about (or even considered) the second until today. Heh, a quarter-coin.

Decimalized currency with an imperial mindset, what can I say? This is what happens when a nation that still uses feet, inches, and miles does with a decimal system.

Hey, we even had $2 bills for a while!

two-2-dollar-bill1.jpg

My mom received one from a K-Mart back in 1983 and has kept hers ever since. (I, on the other hand, accidentally spent one. Oops. :blush:)

They did another batch semi-recently, I think. I have several anyway, and received quite a few as payment while working at McDonald's and Target.

two-2-dollar-bill1.jpg

My mom received one from a K-Mart back in 1983 and has kept hers ever since. (I, on the other hand, accidentally spent one. Oops. :blush:)

We still have ?1 notes in Scotland...

UK-Scotland-bank-note-green-one-pound-note-Bank-of-Scotland-1996-GBP-front-1-JR.jpg

Dollar coins are quite rare over here, but dollar bills are VERY common. Probably the most common bill.

two-2-dollar-bill1.jpg

Actually, $2 bills are still in circulation, and are not particularly collectible.

I only use a debit card or cash. When purchasing from a retailer using a credit card or a debit card as a credit card it costs the retailer 2% give or take while as a debit transaction it costs them 50 cents.

Yes but after 5 debit transactions/month my banks starts charging me. I'll ring it up as credit, thanks.