Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

Today, through a spirited drive though the hills, I had drivers warn me of police ahead 3 times with their high beams! :D The first was a White Toyota Echo Sportivo with awesome red and green stripes warning me of a Police Paddy Wagon that'd pulled over a bunch of bikers. The last two were of pretty much everyone flashing me to warn me of two mobile speed camera/traps on the same stretch of road. The two cameras were about 1km apart, so obviously they were trying to get those who decided to speed after not being caught by the first camera >_>

But I just love that sort of comradery on the road, everyone looking out for each other. It's about the only sliver of humanity that's left on the roads these days. Somehow I just love the notion of everyone trying to help out each other on the road from bullshit revenue raising and cops enforcing ludicrously low speed limits.

I swear, I'm going to park right in front of one of these mobile speeding camera cars just to be a pain for those guys who operate the cameras.

I'd post it in the random thoughts, but this is just awesome!

I've seen people get pulled over for that. I was driving south, and a car coming north coming over a crest of a hill flashed his brights indicating the speed trap just over the hill. He didn't see the police officer that had been tailgating me for the last mile or two. As soon as the car flashed its lights, the cop slammed on her brakes, turned on her lights, pulled a grass-divot tossing U-turn and pulled the other car over. Was a pretty bad-ass move, but sucked for that guy.

I love these crazy antartica "transports":

500x_Antarctica_Eseries.jpg

500x_vehicle-1-lge.jpg

500x_Antarctica_IvanTerabus.jpg

500x_Antarctica_delta.jpg

500x_Antarctica_Mars.jpg

500x_Antarctica_Tucker_SnoCat.jpg

500x_Antarctica_Hagglund.jpg

500x_Antarctica_Pass.jpg

And.....

500x_Antarctica_Beetle.jpg

:lol:

haha the blue one is from Iceland

truly is an awesome 6x6

There's something about these machines that just appeals to the 5 year old inside me.

The Mt. Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire runs these up and down the mountain in the winter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ctUx-zjls[/youtube]

http://img30.imageshack.**/img30/1345/jettruck.jpg

I've been on one of those snow coaches, on a glacier in Canada.

805778363_9f6b49fb4e.jpg

I've seen people get pulled over for that. I was driving south, and a car coming north coming over a crest of a hill flashed his brights indicating the speed trap just over the hill. He didn't see the police officer that had been tailgating me for the last mile or two. As soon as the car flashed its lights, the cop slammed on her brakes, turned on her lights, pulled a grass-divot tossing U-turn and pulled the other car over. Was a pretty bad-ass move, but sucked for that guy.

wat?!?? I thought that was legal, under freedom of speech and all that, there was a court case about it if I remember right, where they decided it was legal

but I guess if you piss a cop off bad enough, they will find something they can take your money for

They can tell you "I don't like what I saw there" and something like "I'm not going to give you a ticket, but I don't want to see you doing that again." They aren't referencing any specific laws. Chances are, the person on the other end doesn't know it's ok...I didn't.

wat?!?? I thought that was legal, under freedom of speech and all that, there was a court case about it if I remember right, where they decided it was legal

but I guess if you piss a cop off bad enough, they will find something they can take your money for

Over here they can fine you because those things are only allowed to warn other motorists of dangerous situations. A speedtrap ahead isn't one, so it's misuse of warning signals or something.

^WAT.

I'd be VERY surprised if they can actually charge you with something. What are they going to put on the ticket "being nice to other road users"? "Warning people to not spend money excessively"?

Sure they can pull you over and give you a warning or some shit, but AFAIK that's it.

Also, the pic above of the truck with 36000 hp makes me happy. It's good to see that some people think "aerodynamics are for people who don't have enough power"

Almost everyone here flashes their hi-beam when there's a scamera car up the road.

I think it's a ?10 fine in Germany for "misuse of warning signals" (that's why I don't use high beam, instead I use the universal "slow down" hand sign out of the open window).

Here in Brazil we have a specific law about warning other drivers about the presence of the police...<_<

Over here they can fine you because those things are only allowed to warn other motorists of dangerous situations. A speedtrap ahead isn't one, so it's misuse of warning signals or something.
But when I flash my lights I'm just saying:

"Morons are going to be doing brakestands in front of you. Watch out."

Or more commonly "There's a car hiding behind a bush waiting to accelerate suddenly into the travel lanes."

My affordable dream car:

url