I hate it when yahoo posts up these articles on their front page...

Cellos88GT

Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Five-of-the-Most-Overpriced-usnews-4150825828.html?x=0

Five of the Most Overpriced Cars

If you're shopping for a new car right now, you're in a dream market. Sales are low, incentives are high and dealerships are ready to negotiate. It should be easy to get a great price on a new car.

[See list of the Most Discounted Cars for Fall 2009]

But don't be dazzled by the heaps of incentives. Sure, big discounts or cash-back offers save you money at the dealership, but you're going to own the car you buy for a long time. When shopping for the best value, you need to find a car that saves you money on day one, and continues to help you save over the entire life of the car.

To help you get a good deal for the long haul on a new car, we've looked at cars that have recently been given big discounts and checked out what IntelliChoice says they'll cost to own over five years, including maintenance, fuel costs and depreciation. We also used up-to-the-minute pricing data to see what car buyers just like you are currently paying on popular models, and found alternatives that offer more value. Popular or heavily discounted cars may be tempting, but when the long term costs start mounting, you'll be glad you passed on these overpriced rides.

[Also see the Best Car Deals Available in October]

Dodge Grand Caravan

Looking for minivan? You're probably looking at the Dodge Grand Caravan. Not only is the Dodge credited with launching the minivan segment, but it's the only domestic automaker still in the minivan biz. The Grand Caravan features innovative seating arrangements, a rear-seat entertainment system and handy storage cubbies. It gets even more tempting when you consider the nearly $4,500 cash back that Dodge has been offering in some parts of the country.

But, while it's cheap at the dealership, IntelliChoice says the Grand Caravan isn't the best long-term value. Over five years the Grand Caravan will cost you $43,050 to own, when you factor in repairs, depreciation and maintenance costs. That's twice what a discounted model costs. Compare that to the Toyota Sienna minivan, which, even with its higher starting price, only costs $40,390 to own over five years, according to IntelliChoice.

That value gets even better. According to pricing firm TrueCar, buyers in early October are actually paying a national average price of $23,788 for the Grand Caravan, and an average national price of $23,642 for the Sienna. That's not a huge price difference up front, but over the long haul, the Dodge Grand Caravan is one overpriced van.

Chevrolet Cobalt

The conventional wisdom is that compact car shoppers are trying to save a little cash by opting for basic transportation. The problem is, sometimes that basic transportation can end up costing more in the long run. Take the Chevrolet Cobalt. Chevy's been offering it with zero-percent financing -- and with a starting price of $14,990, it's a pretty affordable option.

Over the long term, that changes. IntelliChoice says that over five years, the Cobalt will cost about $31,916 to own. That's more than twice the national average price of $15,042 that buyers are paying for the Cobalt.

For a better option, check out the Honda Civic Hybrid. Yes, it costs more up front than the Cobalt, but over five years, IntelliChoice says it only costs $26,993 to own. With car shoppers currently paying an average of about $23,000 nationally for the Civic Hybrid, that means the car's exceptionally low depreciation, fuel and maintenance costs make it a lot cheaper than the Cobalt. If you can't swing the upfront costs of the Civic Hybrid, opt for the regular Civic. In early October, the average price people are paying nationally for one is about $15,000. Plus, it has a total cost of ownership of $28,375, saving you over $4,000 as compared to the Cobalt.

Suzuki Grand Vitara

Compact SUVs are quickly becoming the station wagon for the current generation of families. They offer utility in a tidy package and many can be great values. But not all of them are. The Suzuki Grand Vitara has a base price of about $18,500, which is average for the class. Its extra-long warranty can make it seem like an excellent value. But its five year cost of ownership -- a whopping $39,434 -- tells a different story.

A better value is the Toyota RAV4. It starts at about $2,000 more than the Grand Vitara, but over five years will cost you $33,336 to own according to IntelliChoice, so you'll end up saving $4,000. In some regions, Toyota is offering cash back on the RAV4 or zero-percent financing, which only adds to your savings.

Subaru Legacy

For 2010, Subaru redesigned the Legacy, its midsize sedan. However, there are still some 2009 models on dealer lots. Since the 2009 models are likely to have heavy discounts so dealers can make way for the 2010 models, a 2009 Legacy can seem like a good deal -- especially since its $20,795 starting price includes all-wheel drive. Currently, buyers are paying a national average price of about $19,000 for the 2009 Legacy; that's below invoice price.

However, with IntelliChoice estimating the 2009 Legacy's five-year cost of ownership at $35,603, paying below invoice doesn't seem like such a deal. A better long-term value for a midsize car is the 2009 Toyota Prius. Like the Legacy, the 2009 Prius is the last model year before a 2010 redesign, so dealers may be willing to negotiate on price. The 2009 Prius starts at $22,000, but IntelliChoice says the Prius should only cost $25,365 to own over five years.

Ford Explorer

Midsize SUVs are for people who need more power and space than a compact SUV can deliver. The Ford Explorer can do both, and recently Ford has been offering the 2009 Explorer with about $4,500 cash back in some regions (the 2009 and 2010 models are essentially the same, so you might as well buy the 2009 model and get the discount).

Sound like a deal? Not according to IntelliChoice. The five-year cost of ownership on the Explorer is $48,280, almost twice what you'll pay at the dealership. If you opt for the Toyota Highlander instead, you'll see a total cost of ownership of $41,089 over five years, saving you about $7,000. Plus, Toyota is offering $1,000 cash back on the Highlander in some regions and zero-percent financing in others, helping you save even more.

Do people really believe this Toyota-nuthugging bull####? I'm sorry but the POS #### sucking Toyota Prius isn't anywhere near the same league as the Subaru Legacy.

:wall: :shakefist:

I guess Toyota sales must be down...

Reactions: Jay
Srsly? They only stuck the Civic Hybrid in there to make it slightly less blatant (i.e. not mentioning the Prius twice).

And I HATE these stupid TCO numbers. How in the FUCK is a Legacy going to cost you an additional $15,000 over purchase price in 5 years where a Prius is only going to cost you $3000? It sure as hell isn't fuel - $15,000 is UNGODLY amounts of gas. At 5 years, it aint' parts and labor either.

Oh, wait, they're probably figuring in that bullshit "Depreciation" number, and Prii DON'T depreciate because the entire North American continent is fellating it like it's gods gift to the auto industry. People who sell their cars on are exactly the kind of people who buy soulless crap.

Last edited:
And hear I thought Fox News was biased....

Taking a Prius over a Legacy; not even Subaru loyalists can swallow that.

I much prefer my cheap and efficient bullock cart but according to IntelliChoice a Toyota prius wouldn't stop for naps and hay along the way.

I think we may have a new meme on our hands

Wow. They must be thinking "No one will ever notice what we did there", idiots.

I've been looking around the Yahoo Autos website, and it looks like these prices include depreciation, which is stupid, because you're technically not spending any money there, the depreciation has been paid for in the base price.

WTH, I don't care how much more a Legacy is compared to a Prius, i want the LEGACY!

I don't think there is a single person in the entire world who would be cross shopping a Legacy with a Prius.

What a load of shit. Toyota seriously sucks balls. First blaming video games for decreased sales, now this.

Yahoo has so much shit like this. My mum has her homepage set to Yahoo, and I always dread when she calls for me to read some "interesting" article on where I should live and where I should go to school and what I should drive and blah blah fucking Yahoo.

What a load of shit. Toyota seriously sucks balls. First blaming video games for decreased sales, now this.

When was this? I believe it, but its their own damn fault. Every other car maker produces cars interesting enough to be included in games.

-Toyota Sienna
-Honda Civic hybrid
-RAV4
-Prius
-Highlander

Gee, i wonder what company is sponsoring that.

On the other hand, They dissuade you from buying a Cobalt.

How in the FUCK is a Legacy going to cost you an additional $15,000 over purchase price in 5 years where a Prius is only going to cost you $3000? It sure as hell isn't fuel - $15,000 is UNGODLY amounts of gas. At 5 years, it aint' parts and labor either.

I don't even see how the Grand Caravan would cost you an additional $15,000 in just 5 years!
This is what I found on the Dodge website:
Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty with unlimited mileage. This exclusive warranty covers the cost of parts and labor needed to repair the engine, transmission and/or drive system for the lifetime of your vehicle.

Plus, our 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage of your vehicle, from the body to the electrical system.

Once again - where would those $15,000 come in just 5 years of ownership, if the first 3 years are completely covered by Dodge???

I don't even see how the Grand Caravan would cost you an additional $15,000 in just 5 years!

Once again - where would those $15,000 come in just 5 years of ownership, if the first 3 years are completely covered by Dodge???

They're counting depreciation, though their calculations don't actually make sense if you give them any thought. The depreciation is already paid for, not even the Grand Caravan is going to lose so much value that you have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

Last edited:
Okay, depreciation is fair...although, it's assuming that you will get rid of the vehicle in the next few years, and some people just don't do that.

After a quick search on eBay I found that a Sienna of the same year as a Grand Caravan is about $2-3k more expensive. According to KBB the difference is $8k LOL!

-Toyota Sienna
-Honda Civic hybrid
-RAV4
-Prius
-Highlander

Gee, i wonder what company is sponsoring that.

On the other hand, They dissuade you from buying a Cobalt.

I'd buy TEN Cobalts over one Civic Hybrid.

... And then find a giant soccer ball and you know the rest.

Same thing with the Grand Vitara. First 3 years are covered by Suzuki, and it definitely won't cost you $15,000 in gasoline over those 5 years. In fact, most companies do the 3 years coverage thing, so I suspect most of the cars listed have the first 3 years covered. Oh, and depreciation doesn't count, because you're not really losing any more money because of the car's value dropping, you just won't be able to get as much money back once you sell it.

Sad thing is, I suspect a number of people with less knowledge will go out and listen to this stupidity, earning Toyota more cash to waste on making awful cars.