Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Anyone have a 2000+ truck with the TritonV10? I'm going to test drive a 2000 F-350 Super Duty this week and want some insight on the engine and truck. There doesn't appear to be any official EPA rating for the truck, but I've read people reporting 12-16 combined. Being about half what I get now, this would pretty much negate any loan payment/insurance savings so I want to know it it's be particularly stupid to go for.

One good way of getting around the import taxes is by importing an older car.

;););)

Well yes, that is true, but older cars aren't that much cheaper abroad and it's always more difficult to find a decent one, thus making the hassle of importing one a lot less worth it.

I have sent out more inquieries about cars, some came back as I expected but a few have turned out to be quite good. I have set my mind quite firmly on a BMW at this point. Now it's a battle between E34, E39 and E38, E39 leading the way. Though I have found a couple of E34 M5s which so far seem to be in quite good nick....hmmmmm....:mrgreen:

Exactly how insane do I have to be in order to actually consider an E34 M5 as a daily driver ? I'm guessing "ready to be institutionalised".

Last edited:
Since I sold my car and will take my time making an educated decission I borrowed my grandpa's 1998 Subaru Impreza, it has covered the incredible distance of 35.700km in its 11 years.

I couldn't stop laughing at the odometer!

Well yes, that is true, but older cars aren't that much cheaper abroad and it's always more difficult to find a decent one, thus making the hassle of importing one a lot less worth it.

I have sent out more inquieries about cars, some came back as I expected but a few have turned out to be quite good. I have set my mind quite firmly on a BMW at this point. Now it's a battle between E34, E39 and E38, E39 leading the way. Though I have found a couple of E34 M5s which so far seem to be in quite good nick....hmmmmm....:mrgreen:

Exactly how insane do I have to be in order to actually consider an E34 M5 as a daily driver ? I'm guessing "ready to be institutionalised".

http://www.blocket.se/alvsborg/Sierra_Cosworth_Flygel_23788897.htm?ca=11&w=3

You know you want it. Atleast it looks quite decent. :)

Last edited:
Since I sold my car and will take my time making an educated decission I borrowed my grandpa's 1998 Subaru Impreza, it has covered the incredible distance of 35.700km in its 11 years.

I couldn't stop laughing at the odometer!

... Buy the Impreza. Seriously. A new in box '98 Impreza is a pretty damned good deal at any cost. Buy the old man the nearest convenient junkpile.

The panel gaps on the door looks like it has had a prang I am afraid to say.
Which door? looks fine to me.
Drivers door should not look like that as far as I recall. The panel gap is far too wide.

/EDIT OK I could be wrong - get it checked before you buy though.

Last edited:
That actually does look allright. But you do realise it also costs 13.000? ?

And they only made ~1600. That car will never lose it's value, and it's had 13k spent on it a couple of times by looking at the condition of it. Also, try and find a 3dr Cosworth for sale in Finland. You won't find one :) And if you did, it would be nearer to 20k? and not as good as that one condition-wise.

Spares are cheap and maintenance is easy, plenty of power car be had, and honestly who doesn't want a COSWORTH badge on their car? :p

Drivers door should not look like that as far as I recall. The panel gap is far too wide.

Looks perfectly fine to me. The door fitment is not 100% perfect in these cars, the hinges might have a bit of play in them after 20+ years.

EDIT: After looking at the specs list, that car has had a LOT of money spent on it..

Last edited:
Anyone have a 2000+ truck with the TritonV10? I'm going to test drive a 2000 F-350 Super Duty this week and want some insight on the engine and truck. There doesn't appear to be any official EPA rating for the truck, but I've read people reporting 12-16 combined. Being about half what I get now, this would pretty much negate any loan payment/insurance savings so I want to know it it's be particularly stupid to go for.

I was talking to the guy swapping my engine the other day about the Ford Mods. While the V8s are pretty solid the V10s have issues. They tend to spit out spark plugs. Even brand new Ford heads have the issues. Check to see if it has helicoils or is using after market heads.

For that type of car though I'd go diesel.

The reason there's no EPA rating for the truck is because it's in a weight class that the EPA doesn't rate.

An engine that big on a light duty truck (yes, the F-350 is light duty in the grand scheme of things. Medium duty starts at the F-550) is RETARDEDLY overpowered. Medium duty commercial trucks are typically turbo 4bangers, V6 at most (Unless you're buying from the Big 3) - and they sit in MUCH higher weight classes than an F-350.

That said, you can expect anywhere from 6 to about 16MPG depending on exact configuration and usage profiles (I assume if you're buying a truck that size you're going to use it). Dual rear wheel knocks off a LOT of economy because it ruins the aerodynamics and adds more friction. If you're not planning on towing fifth-wheel trailers, you don't need a dually. Towing without an air dam will knock you down to 6 - but then again, driving around with the air dam and no trailer will also put a huge dent in your economy.

The F-350 is also the bottom of Ford's configurable range of trucks - if yours was originally bought for commercial service (and just because the original owner was a private individual doesn't mean it wasn't - remember, up until recently you could write truck purchases off on your taxes if it was for "business" purposes, and a lot of people buy through the fleet department because it's cheaper and lower hassle) it could have any of a half dozen axle ratios, which will also change your economy around, and to my knowledge there's no visible way to distinguish.

Personally, I recommend you look into an F-250 instead unless you have some particular special need.

Last edited:
... Buy the Impreza. Seriously. A new in box '98 Impreza is a pretty damned good deal at any cost. Buy the old man the nearest convenient junkpile.

No. I absolutely hate don't like japanese cars, and Subaru is on the top of most hated least liked. I really am driving this car because the bus service sucks down here!

And this one is 1.6 FWD, with hubcaps, a stiff clutch (it also engages only when my knee has hit the steering column), the steering wheel is so big it belongs on a boat and the brakes can induce heart attacks at will.

I've been looking at an '04 Audi S3, but I have to haggle down the price around $3-4k since it is a bit overpriced right now.

Maybe it's just living in eastern Massachusetts, but it's so hard to actually enjoy my car right now. The country roads between here and New Hampshire are full of people and cops, even if they're twisty and hilly. Funnily enough, now that I'm finally moving into an apartment with a garage, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it, and who knows if I'm even going to replace it. Heresy, I know, but it's a thought that's been gnawing at me quite a bit recently.

FordCrusher GT on this forum has a (IIRC) 2000 Excursion V10. I've paged him to this thread. He is in Belgium at the moment, so his reply may be delayed.

I was talking to the guy swapping my engine the other day about the Ford Mods. While the V8s are pretty solid the V10s have issues. They tend to spit out spark plugs. Even brand new Ford heads have the issues. Check to see if it has helicoils or is using after market heads.

For that type of car though I'd go diesel.

The 5.4's also spit out spark plugs.

That said, I'd also go diesel, personally.

The F-350 is also the bottom of Ford's configurable range of trucks - if yours was originally bought for commercial service (and just because the original owner was a private individual doesn't mean it wasn't - remember, up until recently you could write truck purchases off on your taxes if it was for "business" purposes, and a lot of people buy through the fleet department because it's cheaper and lower hassle) it could have any of a half dozen axle ratios, which will also change your economy around, and to my knowledge there's no visible way to distinguish.

There should be a tag on the door and/or the axle to indicate the rear axle ratio. Failing that, just call the Ford dealer with the VIN number and they can tell you the ratio as-built.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just living in eastern Massachusetts, but it's so hard to actually enjoy my car right now. The country roads between here and New Hampshire are full of people and cops, even if they're twisty and hilly. Funnily enough, now that I'm finally moving into an apartment with a garage, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it, and who knows if I'm even going to replace it. Heresy, I know, but it's a thought that's been gnawing at me quite a bit recently.

The nice thing about my car is because it's not very good and has tons of bodyroll is why it is good here. I can enjoy it at 30-40 mph and feel like I'm going faster than I actually am. That coupled with the fact my commute is decently twisty is all that keeps me from going insane.

I will never understand how anyone can stand a boring car.

For absolutely no reason or whatsoever; my steering just decided, at 50 MPH if i may add, to have a lot of play. 1/4 of a turn to be exact. Also it's leaking oil, it's down on power, its making a really worrying creak sound from the rear suspension, but the KIA stereo is working perfectly.

Last edited:
For absolutely no reason or whatsoever; my steering just decided, at 50 MPH if i may add, to have a lot of play. 1/4 of a turn to be exact. Also it's leaking oil, it's down on power, its making a really worrying creak sound from the rear suspension, but the KIA stereo is working perfectly.

I hate to tell you this, but I believe the technical term for that precise concoction of failures is fucked. :p

I hate to tell you this, but I believe the technical term for that precise concoction of failures is fucked. :p

"Mitsubishi-built" amounts to the same thing. :p

Speaking of wretchedness - I really want to meet the jackass tech that sold my Pathfinder's previous owner on the idea that the truck would do better on Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs - and then installed them without antiseize. I just yanked all six of them out of the truck and swapped them for OE-spec NGK's - lo and behold, it suddenly runs better! :p