Anyone been to Spa? Where should I sit?

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
With a 20% off on tickets for Spa until Friday, I'm gonna hurry up and get some. But which ones?

I'm thinking either Eau Rouge (Gold 3), or Malmedy (Silver 3) at Les Combes. Here you can see the map:
http://www.spagrandprix.com/en/pages/plan-detaille-tribunes.aspx

Went I went to Magny Cours I sat at the chicane, which was low speed. Now I'd like to see some physics defying stuff at high speed. I'm just worried that Eau Rouge will be so fast you end up not really seeing the cars properly. Anyone been?

Thanks guys ;)

who/what is racing?

been to zolder a shitload of times, never been to spa though
can't seem to find free tickets :?

Les Combes corner, that's where all the overtaking happens.

who/what is racing?

been to zolder a shitload of times, never been to spa though
can't seem to find free tickets :?

You do know that this is the F1 subforum, right? :lol:

And for a F1 GP, there are no free tickets. EVER. You have to fill Uncle Bernie's pocket nicely to be able to pass through the gates.

top of the hill by Eau Rouge looks like a good bet, Bruxelles or Les Combes.

I've never been btw thats just where I would if I were to go

Having been there during WSBR this year, I'd say your best bet is G3.
I didn't go all the way to the back section of the track then, but I'd reckon that the most excitement at Spa(if you'd choose the S3 seats) would be on the Kemmel Straight and going into Les Combes, not so much coming out of Malm?dy. As witnessed this year.
I would also definitely recommend against getting a seat in the main grandstands at the start/finish-straight. You can't see Bus Stop from there, unless you are at the edge of the grandstand and even then it's far from a good view. Apart from that your view of the track is pretty much hindered by the security fences unless you sit high up. At Eau Rouge you sit a lot higher above the track, so you would be looking over the fences instead of through them. This goes for most of the seating on the GP2 side of the track btw.
On that map I guess the best seats in the house would be G3, G5 and the green areas along the Kemmel Straight if you're into some fast physics-defying stuff. G6, G7, G8 if you're more into overtaking.
My 0.02$ anyway. :)

*edit* What is cool about the main grandstand (G1) is that in certain seats you can look through the buildings & trees and get a glimpse of the cars as they go up Eau Rouge, you can also see the cars coming down from turn 9 into Pouhon in the distance. But it's not like you'd be able to keep the cars apart at that distance. :)

Some pictures:

View from the GP2 pitbuilding, to the left of where G5 would be.

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

View from G1.

DSC_0390.jpg

And if you sit high enough to the right of the grandstand, you should be able to see this:

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

Also, don't forget to pay a visit to the Ayrton Senna Memorial near the tunnel that leads to the paddock from G2.

DSC_0809.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for Les Combes from me. Seeing the cars barreling down the massive straight with overtaking opportunities is what I'd bank on. I wouldn't mind seats at the Bus Stop chicane or Eau Rogue either (G-3 through 6).

Having been there for the Spa 24 Hours when there was free access to grandstands my favourite spot was G2, on the downhill across the old pits. I didn't walk around the whole track because of limited time, just from La Source to Malmedy, so I can't comment on the other areas. From G2 you could see the cars all the way from La Source to Eau Rouge, the action in the dowhill pit garages (only if they are in use, of course) and the big plus on that occasion was a big screen on top of the old pits which really helped following the race while the cars were out on the circuit.

The bronze area alongside Kemmel straight is also cool, lots of really high speed action over there and also you can catch a glimpse of the cars in Blanchimont across the valley in between.

Gold 3 is good. Sat there twice. You get to see the cars coming out of La Source, through Eau Rouge and all the way up to the right-kink leading out to the Kemmel Straight. Good seats IMO.

been there a couple of times, but only in the poor "all access" areas. I hear any seat close to Eau Rouge is worth the money though (even though you don't get a roof and WILL be wet)

I was usually at the end of the straight following Eau Rouge, sitting on a wet muddy hill.
You do get cars flying by at 200+ mph, and you see them coming from the top of Eau Rouge all the way to Les Combes. plus you get a screen to follow the race

I was usually at the end of the straight following Eau Rouge, sitting on a wet muddy hill.
You do get cars flying by at 200+ mph, and you see them coming from the top of Eau Rouge all the way to Les Combes. plus you get a screen to follow the race

I guess whether there's a screen alongside the Kemmel straight depends on event. There wasn't one in there during the 24 hour race, so I assume it's there only for the biggest events (maybe only for F1?).

If there is a screen over there that would be a nice place to watch.

You do know that this is the F1 subforum, right? :lol:

And for a F1 GP, there are no free tickets. EVER. You have to fill Uncle Bernie's pocket nicely to be able to pass through the gates.

belgian F1 was 28-30 august...we're already october...

belgian F1 was 28-30 august...we're already october...

...try adding 365 days to the race you mention and then you'll be close to the race I want tickets for ;)

I have one more question. Does anyone know whether if you get Silver tickets, you can go to Gold grandstands for practice? Or is it a case of, you can go to any grandstand of your "ticket class" or below for FP?

no, you can only go to the classes "below". So Gold you can go anywhere, Silver you can in the silver stands or the bronze sections.

TBH there isn't that much point in getting a gold one, the view is slightly better than the silver ones but they're MUCH more expensive

Also, if you buy Gold tickets because you absolutely have to have a roof over your head during the (inevitably wet) race, you're a poofta!

Just bought Gold 3 tickets at Eau Rouge ;)

nice, how much were they? (American dollars please)

?385 or $570. Wow, that sounds like a shitload in dollars doesn't it? Seems the American economy is still quite sick...

wow, fuck me.... $570 for a ticket? Stigginton is sure rich! :lol: