Does anybody else like public radio as much as I do?

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Saab 900 Turbo
Car Talk, All Things Considered, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!, and This American Life are all the podcasts I suscribe to. I find nothing better to listen to on long road trips than the soothing voice of Robert Siegel or Carl Kasell going on about stuff I think will actually make me smarter. And during long night drives I love listening to jazz or blues.

Anybody else love NPR as much as I do?

Reactions: Jay
Well, I think Carl Kasell sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles, I too am a fan. I would rather listen to someone talking about something I couldn't care less about than commercials or people who feel the need to yell at me on commercial radio.

Check out Radio Lab and My Word. My two favorite shows. :) There's also Minds over Matter and Philosophy Talk, both of which are local on KALW.

Its like fox news for liberals...... only with more tote bags!
Except without the fear-mongering and the pundits... so nothing like Fox News at all. :p

Well, I think Carl Kasell sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles
I still want his voice on my home answering machine. :p

Am I the only person who can listen to Diane Rehm without an aneurysm?

Last edited:
Does the BBC count as public radio? I listen to Radio 1 all the time. :D

BBC is public service too yes :)
I join the crowd that loves public service.

I grew up on NPR. i love it. Car Talk and Wait Wait, are hysterical and Prarie Home is like an old friend.

I cant stand Diane "i had a stroke and cant talk anymore" Rehm

indeed, although i usually only listen to Scott Mills or Zane Lowe. Chris Moyles winds me up too much and just can't stand him.

A lot of people tell me that, but I personally like him. I listen to his show every morning on the train. They play stupid games on air like phoning people in the middle of the night (Jake, the F1 presenter, the Friday before the Brazilian GP)

Last edited:
well its each to their own, a lot of people complain about Radio 1 playing the same stuff but i do think that they actually do a good job in catering to the masses. plus i could sit all day listening to Edith bowmans voice.

A lot of people tell me that, but I personally like him. I listen to his show every morning on the train. They play stupid games on air like phoning people in the middle of the night (Jake, the F1 presenter, the Friday before the Brazilian GP)

Jake's been "complaining" about this on his Twitter a couple of times! :lol:

Don't remind me about that zombie Rehm. I also like listening to BBC Radio 4; their comedy panel shows are some of the best things I've ever heard, especially Just a Minute and The Now Show (technically not a panel show, but who cares).

Man, This American Life creeps me out. Ira Glass could be talking about bunnies and sunshine and rainbows and I would still get the heebie-jeebies.

This week's Wait Wait sounds promising. George Motherfuckin' Romero...I'm just starting the podcast right now. :woot:

Oh man, wait wait is so good. That is one of the fun things about living in chicago, going to tapings of wait wait. Carl Kassel is such a nice dude.

I listen to NPR on my morning commute every day. Except when it is beg for money week, then I bust out some podcasts.

Its like fox news for liberals...... only with more tote bags!

You would think so, but NPR can be surprisingly balanced. I know, because I could listen to nothing but public radio as a kid, and only public television.

It's alright. Sometimes when they try to be just a little too hip I do cringe. I really don't care about a jazz musician from central Nigeria.

My Girlfriend rolls her eyes every time it comes on and I say "shh!" and turn it up. :p I'm from Wisconsin, too...maybe that has something to do with it. "Call 1-800 'whack now' to enter"