The "Things that annoy me" thread

Seriously, the examples above are not bad in my opinion. Mostly, it's the combination... in my opinion first name, (middle name(s)) and surname have to sound reasonably well-matched.

Nothing beats Gandalf Kr?ger or Frodo M?ller.

Germans: my mom is a teacher and in the same year Precious and Princess were in her class. So you guys don't even know how good you've got it. You haven't even begun to hear the stupid names people come up with.

I also don't get naming kids after places, e.g. Paris, Madison, Dakota, Dallas. And how do they pick those? Why not Syracuse, Tokyo, Alaska, Fargo? What makes one place good for a baby name but not another?

try hippie/native american/nature names.....'moonray' 'flower' 'jewell' 'clouddancer (yess realy, in a country that never even has SEEN a native american).....I'm sorry, parents naming their kind something like that should be prosicuted for child abuse....

Last edited:
My brother had a "Bile" in his class, and it was not pronounced like "Billy." I get a lot of mispronunciations though because I have a French name but don't actually pronounce it the French way :lol:

Parents who blatantly exploit their children.

Between the balloon boy, the cheerleader with swine flu vaccine weirdness, etc., etc.--good grief, I feel like some poor kid is gonna be more scarred for life from being on TV for stupid stuff their parents are pushing than from a anything else.

15 seconds of fame isn't worth that. Arrgh.

You forgot the idiocy that is Jon and Kate Plus 8. Talk about exploitation!

The other way around I find it hilarious for Americans to name their girls "Heidi" or "Gretchen" (English speakers can't even pronounce that! There is no "sh" in there!). Granted, the only examples I know for that are taken from shown business...

Um, I'm not sure you really want to go there. Many of those children will be named directly for close relatives. If you are somehow under the impression Hollywood represents America, well then that's just a lost cause.

Germans: my mom is a teacher and in the same year Precious and Princess were in her class. So you guys don't even know how good you've got it. You haven't even begun to hear the stupid names people come up with.

LOL I don't think I was ever in a classroom without at least one Precious or Princess. That's better than the names that seem to come out of a Scabble bag though.

Last edited:
At least our authorities prevent parents from the most terrible names.

I remember the case of parents wanting to name their son "Pumuckl" after a popular children's TV show character. I believe it was prevented by the authorities.

Germans: my mom is a teacher and in the same year Precious and Princess were in her class.

There was a news story I remember from years ago...there were two black twin girls name Pricess and Precious and the story was about crappy building conditions in low-income areas where the kids were eating lead paint chips.

There was another story more recently where they wanted to name their kid Keanu, and they had to prove it had Hawaiian background because they couldn't authorize it if it was just named after the actor.

I don't understand how telemarketers can be so bad at pronouncing names when all they do all day is dial random people and say their names and then get answered by "no. *click*". My last name is a pretty straightforward french name, the only fancy thing it has a silent t at the end, even so some people are stupid enough to be able to completely screw up the pronounciation. Also, my dad's name is Johan (though IRL he's called Joe) and apparently nobody's ever seen that name before.

"Hi I'm a douchemarketter, am I speaking with [butchered pronounciation]?"
"*sigh* not interested*"

So annoying. Although once in a blue moon we'll get a call from an obviously bilingual agent who can at least get the last name right.

Heh, my last name is incredibly simple - six letters, no crazy combinations, said as it sounds - and yet telemarketers STILL fuck it up, often with hilarious results. I lost it laughing at a particular credit card guy flipping the middle two letters and dropping the last one once.

And sign me up for the sensible name spelling law. My name just has two possible spellings, and it is still an utter pain getting people to use the right one. I hate to imagine what it's like for the guy with the same name, but two ys and three ns that I saw at an Arbys.

I also don't get naming kids after places, e.g. Paris, Madison, Dakota, Dallas. And how do they pick those? Why not Syracuse, Tokyo, Alaska, Fargo? What makes one place good for a baby name but not another?
Every new school year when the teacher does attendance and calls out kids names, I cringe whenever I hear a really stupid one and think why they bother trying to name them at all if they're just going to name them Shakira. A license should be needed for people who want to reproduce.

My senior year of high school, there was a freshman girl named Canada.

Paris was a name well before the city existed.

Today's pet peeve: people who pronounce the Greek "P" (at work so no unicode for you) as "pie". It's pronounced just like the English P. Has been that way for thousands of years.

Last edited:
The jeans-so-low-you-can-my-underwear/ass look that has become so popular. Why? Why would you want everyone to be able to tell what type of undergarments you wear? It doesn't make you look cool. You look like slobs. Pull your goddamn pants UP! I'd say "and wear a belt," but I've seen plenty of people wearing their pants in this retarded manner, while wearing a belt. Use it for it's intended purpose!

The gangsta style wear-your-hat-in-any-direction-but-front-to-back look. You look like an idiot who can't put a hat on properly. (Given that it's gangsta's who generally wear this, the idiot bits kind of a given...)

High school students in general. One of the reasons I want out of high school. Boys: Disrespectful snots with more assumed (note: no relation to actual) testicular matter than brain matter. Girls: Ditzy bints who can't shut the hell up, and are disrespectful snots.

People in general. Except you lot. I wub you... :wub:

My monitor: Ancient CRT box. Taken to jumping out of horizontal focus on a whim. Can only be solved (temporarily, ugh...) by beating it. Repeatedly. Until my hands are raw. Then some time later, it does this again. I need a new one.

I had to do that to my old CRT, it would change color and go out of focus. I used to smash the hell out of that thing, must have been made of some super composite though because a crack never appeared no matter what I hit it with.

Just today I saw a magazine cover with Nicole Richie and her new son... Sparrow.

GODDAMMIT!

The tweets thing down the side of the finalgear window is annoying the crap out of me.