Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If only Volvo tuners had the common courtesy to leave the looks well alone :lol: Every candy-coloured deep-dished window-tinted aux gauge herrg?rdsvagn I've seen has looked absolutely hideous.

I personally don't mind the deep dish wheels if they are really needed. In stock form, the wheels of a 940 are hidden way back in the arches, and some wider dish wheels suit the car very well. Also, you've GOT to have a boost gauge :lol:

for no particular reason, I want this very muchly

200k kms, but fuck that, it's a Merc 190E

Sadly, I do not have use for such a car. very sadly

It's a Merc 190D :) And unless it's the 2.5 diesel, it's going to have 75hp instead of 75kW. The repainted bumpers and cheap wheeltrims don't really help, and I'm not sure if the paintjob is factory. All of those will also cast doubt on the odo reading.

You can get a good W124 for that money, too.

A dealership down the street from me has a Porsche 928 for sale. I saw it broken down on the side of the road today. I was bout 500 feet away from the dealer. I might test drive the 944 they have tomorrow, as well as the F-350.

Which is partly why I was talking about the 940, which has better engines than the 960. :rolleyes: You can get ~220hp from a low pressure b230 for less than 500? (Chip, new cooler & airfilter and more boost), or around 350hp for less than 2000? (Bigger turbo, new cam, new exhaust and bigger injectors.) that, and a bit of suspension tweaks and you'll have a perfect family car. The 940's even come with getrag transmissions that can take a shit ton of torque with no issues. My fathers 940 turbo estate will be alive long after your car has been turned into a cube ;)

How about the stock cars, huh? With 500? you can make a 300-350hp 850. And also - what about looks? The 850 is both stylish and traditional Volvo. The 900 series is cumbersome, awkward and even a bit outdated for 90's car.
How many miles does your dad's 940 have currently?

How about the stock cars, huh? With 500? you can make a 300-350hp 850. And also - what about looks? The 850 is both stylish and traditional Volvo. The 900 series is cumbersome, awkward and even a bit outdated for 90's car.

261000 km's roughly, and if feels BRAND NEW. Nothing has ever gone wrong on it, and the only issues that it currently has is that the heater blower whines a bit at full blast, and some of the dashboard lights have burned out (which is obvious for a 12 year old car.) And Even if you can make a 350 hp 850 for 500?, it will NEVER be able to put that power down in any real way. I for one much prefer the looks of the 940 aswell, and you can't really argue about them, it's a sake of preference. The 940 Sedan looks like shit, but the 940 estate looks much better than the 850 imo.

About the fwd traction issues:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc[/YOUTUBE]

One thing I will admit, is that the 5-pot 850's sound better than the older four pots.

Last edited:
Well, my 850 has about the same miles but it's 15 years old. I guess we have a race now lol :)

About the video you posted: Do you know that this particular Volvo is pushing 555hp to the wheels? Even if it was RWD it would have traction problems? And even if was RWD it would still be crazy scary to drive on the streets.

I just love it when cars burn rubber when accelerating on highways. Would be all the better of course if that were a RWD Supra or something similar. :p

Well, my 850 has about the same miles but it's 15 years old. I guess we have a race now lol :)

About the video you posted: Do you know that this particular Volvo is pushing 555hp to the wheels? Even if it was RWD it would have traction problems? And even if was RWD it would still be crazy scary to drive on the streets.

But didn't you not long ago complain about issues in your Volvo? :D Nothing, and I say NOTHING has been replaced on my fathers car apart from general maintenance, apart from one taillight from a rear end collision, which is hardly a reliability issue. It's even been driven at 50kph into a snowbank & through a couple of 2 inch -thick birches with no damage WHATSOEVER. Therefore I may already have won the race? ;) The 940 is built like a brick wall. :)

Maybe we should have a thread about this, just to see if the public has the correct opinion?

I loved my 850 Turbo, but there is no way in hell that thing would be usable with 300+hp. It had issues with 222hp.

But didn't you not long ago complain about issues in your Volvo? :D Nothing, and I say NOTHING has been replaced on my fathers car apart from general maintenance

All the things that I complain about or have issues with are general maintanance for the 850. Everything that has gone wrong with it, has been explained in detail in the owner's manual - these things need to be done at certain mileage. (I assume you have changed the timing belt at the advised intervals, right?) This doesn't make the car unreliable.

Anyone want to trade a roadster for a Jaaag? I'm somewhat serious.

Wait until the Winter sets in.

Eh, it's not my daily driver anyway, I have public transport for that, plus I'm looking Japanese.

unless you go to a really crappy part of town, you should drive your Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag everywhere.

All the things that I complain about or have issues with are general maintanance for the 850. Everything that has gone wrong with it, has been explained in detail in the owner's manual - these things need to be done at certain mileage. (I assume you have changed the timing belt at the advised intervals, right?) This doesn't make the car unreliable.
I haven't changed the timing belt, but someone has. Do you have a list of major things that have been fixed no your car? (I recall you posting here about CV-joint issues or sth similiar, but I might be wrong) But im still pretty damn sure the 940 will outlive your 850 ;)

Thanks a lot. Now I can't get that damn song out of my head! :shakefist:

BTW all this Volvo talk is making me remember how when I was a kid, I thought my father's 740 GLE was the most awesome car in the whole world. Partly because it just seemed so HUGE to me as a little girl. Shame it packed up before I was old enough to drive it :cry: (steering while sitting on my dad's lap doesn't count.)

It's a Merc 190D :) And unless it's the 2.5 diesel, it's going to have 75hp instead of 75kW. The repainted bumpers and cheap wheeltrims don't really help, and I'm not sure if the paintjob is factory. All of those will also cast doubt on the odo reading.

It's the 75hp 2l diesel, and I sincerely doubt that it's a sportline. Sportlines came with 22mm lower suspension, stock alloys with 205/55/15 tyres, sport seats, sports steering wheel, leather shift gaiter, a leather shift knob with sportline logo, and various sportline logos on the outside. All of which are absent on this car. Combine that with a non-stock paintjob, non-stock spoiler and elcheapo plastic wheelcovers. This is one to steer clear of.

It's the 75hp 2l diesel, and I sincerely doubt that it's a sportline. Sportlines came with 22mm lower suspension, stock alloys with 205/55/15 tyres, sport seats, sports steering wheel, leather shift gaiter, a leather shift knob with sportline logo, and various sportline logos on the outside. All of which are absent on this car. Combine that with a non-stock paintjob, non-stock spoiler and elcheapo plastic wheelcovers. This is one to steer clear of.

Stop RUINING it :p
I pretty much figured it was too good to be true though.
Still, if I would still very much like one with the 2.5 diesel engine, in good nick, what kind of price/mileage are we talking here? I'm curious