The Gun thread

They are higher quality, but a lot of parts don't interchange (like fire control groups, etc). Also, 5.45 is only cheap as long as imports are allowed - I don't recall any US production of it.

Plus you can't buy it at Walmart for cheap. :D

All I'm looking to do is put a fixed stock and different foregrip with possibly a rail on it, so I think it will be alright.

In other news, I shot a P90 for the first time today. That is a truly awesome little gun. Feels like a surgical instrument compared to the likes of an AR or AK. I also managed to shoot with both eyes open...which actually helped my accuracy and for some reason the muzzle report doesn't make me blink when both eyes are open. Don't know why that it is, but it helps.

Last edited:
And here it is:

AK.jpg

Nice!

All I'm looking to do is put a fixed stock and different foregrip with possibly a rail on it, so I think it will be alright.

In other news, I shot a P90 for the first time today. That is a truly awesome little gun. Feels like a surgical instrument compared to the likes of an AR or AK. I also managed to shoot with both eyes open...which actually helped my accuracy and for some reason the muzzle report doesn't make me blink when both eyes are open. Don't know why that it is, but it helps.

I'd still get one of the side rails, it's the only reliable way to get an AK to have a scope that stays zeroed. The good news is that there should be plenty of buttstocks that will work for it. The Tapco stuff (if it fits) is usually decent value for money and they'll go to your US parts count.

As for the P90 - it's actually less accurate than the AR. And it's not really a rifle or carbine, it's a submachinegun/PDW converted to semi-auto fire with the barrel extended to get around our idiot classification laws. Unless you managed to get your hands on a cop/dealer's real P90 instead of the civilian PS90.

The recoil, flash, and report are all less because it's not firing a rifle cartridge; it's firing a 5.7mmx28mm 'enhanced' pistol cartridge. That's about half the size of the AR's 5.56x45mm round and has correspondingly less power. That said, I suspect you like the bullpup layout of the weapon as many others do.

And here it is:

AK.jpg

Not too bad, looks like someone already tried to fit one of the Tapco lower handguards.

I'd still get one of the side rails, it's the only reliable way to get an AK to have a scope that stays zeroed. The good news is that there should be plenty of buttstocks that will work for it. The Tapco stuff (if it fits) is usually decent value for money and they'll go to your US parts count.

As for the P90 - it's actually less accurate than the AR. And it's not really a rifle or carbine, it's a submachinegun/PDW converted to semi-auto fire with the barrel extended to get around our idiot classification laws. Unless you managed to get your hands on a cop/dealer's real P90 instead of the civilian PS90.

The recoil, flash, and report are all less because it's not firing a rifle cartridge; it's firing a 5.7mmx28mm 'enhanced' pistol cartridge. That's about half the size of the AR's 5.56x45mm round and has correspondingly less power. That said, I suspect you like the bullpup layout of the weapon as many others do.

Oh I know it is less accurate and powerful, but like I said, it feels like a surgical instrument. Probably the compactness of it. And yes its a PS90.

Just picked up one of these as a spare gun for when my father comes to town:

RIA_MS_1911A1_2009.jpg

It's a Rock Island Armory 1911-MS; a clone of the Colt Combat Commander. He's got CCW here but not in his home state, which prohibits CCW by anyone not rich, famous or connected; I figure it'd be nice if he could have one here to carry that he actually liked instead of borrowing one of my XDs (or before that, one of my Brownings) and complaining about how it's not a Commander like the one he has at home. :p

Looks good. I just recently started to like 1911's and that one looks pretty good.

It's not bad. It's a nice budget 1911 and I bought it new at a screaming deal, but you can find better values (in terms of features for money) in the used market.

Mostly I bought it because it was really really cheap and because it will keep my dad from playing with my toys. We all remember what happened the last time I lent him one of my toys, right? :p

Last edited:
Oh I think I recall :lol:

Yeah... so I think you can understand why I'd go to the lengths of buying him a gun for him to use instead of borrowing one of mine. :D

Especially when you consider that I found it in a financially distressed local gun shop for $225.

Last edited:
Hmmm...do tell?

Is the Bushnell holosight any good? Its around $200 new, and I don't know whether I want to spend that much on a sight that isn't top notch.

Yeah - I wouldn't send any business that way, though. It was the only good deal left in the shop. The owner made some bad choices in inventory purchasing and got stuck with a bunch of stuff people don't want while refusing to order stuff people were waving money at him for.

I just stopped by for some entertainment at his high prices and came across this thing buried back in a corner of the display case. The guy's a complete asshole and I think he got the price of the RIA .45 confused with the older RIA 9mm CZ75 clone that was next to it in the case, now that I think of it. Oh well. Not my problem, the sale has been completed and the serial number matches the 4473 he called in.

I don't know much about the Bushnell Holosight, not having used one. Many users report that it's decent, beyond that I don't know. Best place to find out about that sort of stuff is ar15.com.

Last edited:
That will destroy what little accuracy that the Tantal has. In fact, I don't know if it will even fit. Some good news in here, though:

Per Atlantic Firearms:

tem# Interarms Polish Tantal AK 74 High Standard Folder
Brand: AK74 Rifles

This is the legendary 5.45 wz. 88 Tantal from Poland, the Polish version of the AK-74. It is chambered in the Soviet 5.45x39 cartridge, and accepts metal and polymer magazines. It has several unique features not found on the Russian or Bulgarian AK-74. Interarms / High Standard is proud to introduce the US-assembled semi-automatic version of this wonderful rifle to the US market.They have Grade A + FIT & FINISH and are factory assembled in the USA on a fully heat treated high quality receiver with the original military chrome lined barrel & flash hider.

The Tantal has several unique features not found on the more common Soviet or Bulgarian AK-74 rifles:

1. The gas tube is floated between the gas block and the rear sight support. It does not touch the handguard. The handguard is supported by an extended lower handguard flange and the rear sight support.

2. The muzzle brake has been modified to also function as a grenade launcher.

3. The Tantal comes with a side-folding stock that mounts just like a fixed buttstock. It does not require a different rear trunnion, but mounts on a standard trunnion in the normal fashion. It can be quickly and easily interchanged with a fixed stock. Most military sidefolding stocks are build on dedicated receivers, and cannot be converted to fixed stocks.

4. The gas block has been modified to accept a bipod. Standard NATO bipods will fit this version.

The Interarms wz. 88 Tantal is finished in beautiful military grade Parkerizing for a long-lived surface with excellent corrosion resistance. All internal parts interchange with standard AK-74 rifles. The trigger group uses a double-hook G2 trigger for extremely smooth pull and crisp let-off and no trigger slap.

There are very limited numbers of the sets of parts to build these rifles in the US, and with the recent ban on importing barrels, these sets will soon be gone. These rifles were built with the best-quality sets ever imported, so don?t miss your change to have a true piece of military history.

Also: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30617

Not much else can replace the Tantal handguards. They have a tension spring under the lower one and the top one is unique.

The difference is in the design of the upper handguard. It is unique, and a standard handguard (to my knowledge) cannot be used.

So an aluminum railed standard AK-47 LOWER handguard could work as long as I used it in conjunction with the unique Tantal tensioned upper handguard as well?

Yes... you should have no problem using that.

The handguard tensioner is in the lower handguard. This puts tension on the handguard retainer which also loops around the gas tube.

Also: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=297972

Those clamp-on types can distort the gas tube on some designs.

On the other hand, here's an article that seems to be exactly what you want: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/tantal-ak-74s-545mm/
(Related: http://www.defensereview.com/modern...tantal-ak-74s-545x39mm-tactical-riflecarbine/ )

Looks like the Surefire M83 will fit and work for your Tantal. (Yes, the article says M84. It's a typo.) Not cheap, though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kalashnikov-Sur...temQQimsxZ20090928?IMSfp=TL090928152006r16852

http://www.productwizard.com/surefire-m83.html

On the other hand, they're one of the only rail handguard systems I've seem that will even remotely hold scope zero on most AKs.

Last edited:
That thing looks wicked. Needs a bit more tacticool accessories though :p

Here is a computer generated rendering of what my guns would look like if I had any.

collection.jpg

The latest render:
74.jpg

I got the last major parts for my Saiga 12 today.

IMG_4687.JPG

Tapco railed handguard mounting a GripPod vertical foregrip (yes, it's the one that folds out into a bipod which is kind of pointless on a shotgun, but my cost was the same for a GripPod or a regular poly VFG, so I took the 'free' bipod). The pre-existing gear: a cheapie NcStar red dot sight, ACE conversion block to allow AR furniture to be mounted, Cavalry Arms M4-type collapsible stock, ACE SAW-style pistol grip. Not pictured: The giant pile of 10 and 12 round magazines for it and a few internal parts swapped for US-made ones.

All the upgrades but the sight and the rail are US made so that it is compliant with the idiot 922(r) law.

This is what it looked like when I got it:

IM000790.jpg

Last edited: