Gran Turismo 5

1. Custom Track Editor

Here it says it's confirmed, so lets welcome those half-ass tracks!

With the recent rumors and videos that have been going around about Gran Turismo 5 having a track editor, we decided to contact the developers to find out if it was true or not. Now, we have a official answer.

They were kind enough to give us a quick response and this is what a representative said:

?Yes it will have a track editor. You will be able to rebuild a track from scratch or edit the tracks that are already put in Gran Turismo 5.?

http://e4g.info/1886/gran-turismo-5-track-editor-confirmed-by-polyphony-digital.html

Well, there's ANOTHER 6 months to wait because they wont release it until they're satisfied with the track editor.

Xmas '10 = GT5 :tease:

track editor = awesome
feels like Stunts (r) 1990 all over again

Also, with that timing, it sounds like they're listening to ME, and waiting for the PS3 to get yet another price drop, so that they can offer this thing with PS3/bigass HD/GT5/G27 wheel for 299?

As much as I'd love to see it, I wouldn't bet on a track editor just yet. I am as bold to say that the above confirmation is a blatant lie. Not once in the history of Polyphony Digital has someone ever received an answer to a question like that via e-mail "just like that". They don't answer e-mails. The company practically doesn't exist unless they want to contact the outside world. Thus, there is no way they confirmed the existance of the track editor as described.

Last edited:

Never heard of e4g, but they don't look like the most reputable source in gaming. I'm gonna wait until GTPlanet picks up on this, and links to a legit site.

Also, with that timing, it sounds like they're listening to ME, and waiting for the PS3 to get yet another price drop, so that they can offer this thing with PS3/bigass HD/GT5/G27 wheel for 299?

theVictor390 found a great solution to the overpriced Logitech wheels.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=210&lang=
$199.95, all wireless. The Turbo S wheel is a bit more expensive (and by a bit more, I mean $300 more), but the Turbo is good enough for me.

Or if you really want, http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=240&lang=

Last edited:
Need that cockpit in my life.

Unfortunately, I need the $1000 (not including wheel and screens) even more.

And yeah, the Fanatec 911 Turbo looks like a cracking deal.

This isn't the first time they've used a HPA car in the game, sensing a little favoritism! JK.

GTI.jpg

Todays GT5 update.

Yamauchi?s latest interview with AutoWeek magazine has quite a few surprises, with Yamauchi going so far as to confirm GT5?s development cost and a controversial new feature. Keep reading for a quick summary of everything you need to know?

- The decision of when Gran Turismo 5 will be released in North America and Europe is entirely up to Sony.

- Because GT5 has been built new, from the ground up, it has taken them considerably longer previous sequels. Therefore, no-one at Polyphony Digital is surprised at how long it has taken to develop, and to quote Yamauchi, ?that?s the amount of time it takes to get it right?.

- There are three factors which determine what cars are included: the cars that Yamauchi wants to be in it, the cars that players want, and the cars the manufacturers want. Manufacturers have offered to pay to have their vehicles included, but Polyphony Digital has never accepted any money. Instead, they work together with the other companies which usually develops ?into a relationship where we collaborate to raise the level of the game?.

- When asked about the number of tracks, Yamauchi reiterates the mysterious ?20 different environments? and ?around 70 different layouts?, which we have been hearing for quite some time now. When pushed, Yamauchi refused to comment further.

- On damage: ?It is not very hard, though it was not in previous Gran Turismos?.

- When asked about features that could make the game more accessible to new players, Yamauchi dropped an unexpected bombshell: ?you can reverse your game?. Assuming we can take this translation literally, Yamauchi must be referring to a ?rewind? feature that has recently become popular in other racing series like DiRT, Need for Speed, and Forza. As you may expect, the rewind functionality allows you to ?back-up? in time and resume play before you messed up a particular corner. This can come in particularly handy when learning a tough segment of a track, though it is controversial because some players believe having such an option makes it too easy to correct your mistakes.

- The entire NASCAR roster of tracks, teams, and drivers will not be in the game. However, you will be able to take the different NASCAR cars to ?a number of tracks not found on the NASCAR calendar?.

- Yamauchi has played Forza Motorsport 3, and offered his impressions: ?It?s very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo. Some base components of the game are very different from Gran Turismo. It?s a little bit different from what a simulator is. You can feel it when you drive it.?

- Gran Turismo 6 will be coming, but it won?t take nearly as long to develop. In Yamauchi?s words: ?GT5 represents a whole new operating system. GT6 is just new apps that run on the GT5 system.?

- There ?probably? will be additional content available to download in GT5, though nothing specific has been planned at this time.

- It has cost $60 million to produce Gran Turismo 5. However, it?s a wise investment in a franchise which has earned billions, and as Yamauchi notes, there are other games which cost more.

Last edited:
I suspect that any track editor would end up like the one in stunts, place tiles where you want.

^^ How much of those 60 million did they get back with GT5P? :p

GT4 convinced me to get a PS2, GT5 will convince me to get a PS3.

Been thinking about it too... 'cept I don't know many other interesting games for the PS3.

God of War 3
Uncharted 1, 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2

Not much, but still great games.

yes but those are just exclusives, remember you can get almost any other game that xbox has too.

^ Yeah, but then those don't really count as reasons to buy a PS3 if he already has an Xbox.

A few more to add to the 'reasons to buy a playstation list'

- Wipeout HD + Fury
- Tekken 6 (I think)
- The Agency
- Agent
- The Getaway
- Infamous
- Prototype
- Ratchet and Clank
- Resistance 1+2
- Motorstorm

Tekken 6 is on Xbox360 too, which pissed me off. I thought it was going to be a PS3 exclusive.

I just want a paint editor in GT5 like in Forza.

This isn't the first time they've used a HPA car in the game, sensing a little favoritism! JK.

GTI.jpg

With the difference that that one was awesome, the Audi....dunno.

If they do put a track editor, i will do a 20 Km straight, just for the lulz (also for a kickass find-the-top-speed-of your car track)

Last edited:
With the difference that that one was awesome, the Audi....dunno.

If they do put a track editor, i will do a 20 Km straight, just for the lulz (also for a kickass find-the-top-speed-of your car track)

I remember installing a downhill straight track in the original Need for Speed and trying to get ridiculous top speeds out of the car (the trick was to put them in neutral and let gravity do its work). I'd make one of those for the silliness.