Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I find Office:Mac is better than iWork. Although it is slower to load up once its running it is much better.

Its not a completely invalid point to want Windows 7 on your Mac solely. You do still get the benefit of better hardware .

I watched a video on youtube of the projector in action and it seemed surprisingly good with the PS3 hooked up to it.

I think I'm due for a computer replacement. My MacBook will turn 3-years-old next year.

I'm eyeing the new 13" MacBook Pro.

Thoughts?

...Thoughts?

"I think, therefore i am"

Thou my thoughts aren't going to be posted here, as they are a mess.
Get the mac, "you'll love it!".

And no i don't have a mac. Last time i used one was 10 years ago in school.

I'm not looking forward to the day I finally decide to upgrade the RAM in my 9" Acer netbook...

Too much bother, to be honest, for too little gain. Strip down your OS instead.

Oh, sidenote - I was ogling the macbooks and macbook pros in my local Apple store. A sales rep told me the main difference between macbooks and pros is "robustness". Is that truth or lies? I haven't bothered to look up the specs beyond the price tag.

Better graphics, I think.

Why is it nothing works but when I go to get it fixed it magically does so I look like an idiot?

There a some things that are not on the Polycarbonate MacBooks apart from the lack of Aluminum, the plastic one doesn't have the SD card reader nor the IR receiver for the remote (that may be why they replaced the old remote with an Aluminum one :-D), for the rest, they are quite similar but I think the Aluminum shell may indeed be more durable than the plastic one.

Why is it nothing works but when I go to get it fixed it magically does so I look like an idiot?

I thought it was just me,too.
Happens with most things, computer stuff, cars, etc...

weird thing is that when you get home from the store, the problem magically reappears

Sold a Gorillapod at work yesterday, to an old (80s I guess) man. So much for their appeal to youngsters, eh? :lol:

My macbook pro is almost here. I can almost taste it.

Before I order though, this has just been presented to me as an option:

Dell 13z

Any other options I could look at? Seems pretty well featured for the price, especially against the mb pro. (4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win 7, 320GB HD, 8 cell battery, Intel SU7300 + nVidia GeForce G105M 512mb, Creative soundblaster + wireless n for $1312AUD. The MB pro 13" base spec is $1449).

I do need something very portable though...

Last edited:
My macbook pro is almost here. I can almost taste it.

Before I order though, this has just been presented to me as an option:

Dell 13z

Any other options I could look at? Seems pretty well featured for the price, especially against the mb pro. (4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win 7, 320GB HD, 8 cell battery, Intel SU7300 + nVidia GeForce G105M 512mb, Creative soundblaster + wireless n for $1312AUD. The MB pro 13" base spec is $1449).

I do need something very portable though...

Well, depends...

Are you set on 13"? What are your other needs aside from portability?
It's getting more and more difficult to find a laptop, especially 13", because netbooks (really light/cheap ones) are getting bigger, to 13", and regular laptops are getting smaller, also 13"

I'd say stay away from Macs because although they are very good, are not worth the extra money IMO.

13" is pretty much as big as I'd go.

Aside from portability, battery life is a big concern of mine, as is reliability.

I do wish to occasionally run software like autocad and matlab on it, but it won't be for anything intense (ie just viewing models or simulation result files).

I already have a good desktop, so this isn't a desktop replacement.

Last edited:
Some Dell's are surprisingly durable, but I'd have to assume that the MBP would be better. I don't know how Apple is with repairing things under warranty when it's the user's fault, but I've heard Dell is pretty good about it.