H1N1 vaccine: are you getting it?

H1N1 vaccine: are you getting it?

• Yes

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 151 83.0%

• Total voters
I have already gotten the regular flu shot, and I will be getting the H1N1 shot. The Army requires it, plus I work in a facility that uses recirculated air, so we all take extra special precautions not to spread stuff like this around... it would shut the whole place down!

I have a friend who is refusing to let her daughter get it because she is convinced the government is adding bad things to the shot that will kill her daughter. She is bat shit crazy, but I am not up to arguing with her.

Fort Detrick....facility with recirculated air...

Are you listening to my phone calls? :D

Sorry for the threadjack :)

Your mom gets "sick". Actually sick, or just a little down? Has she had her immune system checked? If she gets sick from a dead virus that is an accomplishment.

Not that much of an accomplishment...I work in a hospital so were all supposed to get it, and out of 120 ppl in the IT division 59 got the shot and 12 of those became sick the next day. It happens, don't ask me to explain how cause I have no idea, but even the doctors here acknowledge the fact it happens.

Last edited:
^Side-effects are quite common and include amongst other things fever.. personally my arm got sore as fuck and i could hardly stay awake for 2 days....

Your mom gets "sick". Actually sick, or just a little down? Has she had her immune system checked? If she gets sick from a dead virus that is an accomplishment.
Like fever and vomiting sick. And according to her doctor it's virtually impossible to protect yourself from all strains of the flu, and it's fairly common to see flu-like symptoms after getting a shot. In her work environment she is obligated to get a flu shot, although she isn't very skeptical when in comes to jumping on the medical-marketing-perceived-demand bus.

Last needle I got was for measles or something when I was like 8 or 9 years old.

I had a feeling the general population of Finalgear would look at this the same way as me.

I was late for work two days ago because 3500 people (in a town of 10,000)
were all standing around a church near my home waiting for the vaccine. There were cops directing traffic and everything.

what a load of shit.

Yes, it's part of living in a snow country.

I did get it last Tuesday, nothing happened. I didn't even get any of the mild symptoms.
As usual all the negative reporting turns out to be fearmongering on the medias part.
Here it went like this:

1.OMG SWINE FLU. WE'LL ALL DIE111!!!!!ONE
2.YAY, FINALLY A VACCINE!!!1111
3.WILL THE VACCINE KILL YOU. 500 DEAD FROM IT AT LEAST?????
4.1 MILLION KILLED BY SWINE FLU!!!ZOMG
5. IS THERE ENOUGH VACCINE FOR EVERYONE??????

Everyone has decide for himself but I decided that living in a city of 2 million and riding public transportation isn't worth taking the risk. However, I've never reacted negatively to any medicine at all and have no allergies. Chances of a negative reaction were quite low I figured.

It's not that I'm scared of swine flu nor do I think that I'm going to die from it or sth. equally stupid. I just didn't feel like being out for more than a week with a nasty strain of flu.

Last edited:
My mum nicked a vaccine from work (she is the boss at a day/night care centre for young and old people) today and gave me the shot. Nothing to report in terms of side effects.

Got the shot Thursday. Still akward to use left arm, had a bad headache, fever, and general feeling of shittines yestereday. Much better today.

Because, obviously, everyone is experiencing exactly the same effects. :p

I am getting jabbed tomorrow. :blink: (not keen on needles, argh! I don't faint or freak out or anything, but I just dread dread dread the hours leading up to it!)

Hearing about your sore arms, I'm left with a conundrum. Should I get them to jab me in the left arm so that it hurts to change gears while driving, or should I get it in the right arm so that it hurts to write? :think:

Meh. I'll live either way, I guess.

I am getting jabbed tomorrow. :blink: (not keen on needles, argh! I don't faint or freak out or anything, but I just dread dread dread the hours leading up to it!)

Hearing about your sore arms, I'm left with a conundrum. Should I get them to jab me in the left arm so that it hurts to change gears while driving, or should I get it in the right arm so that it hurts to write? :think:

Meh. I'll live either way, I guess.

You can still do both things just fine, it's not that bad.

Phew. That's okay then....

I just remember when I got my tetanus booster shot at age 16, while at school. My arm hurt so much afterward that I struggled to write in class for the rest of the day and it still bothered me for some time afterwards. The teachers didn't take that as an excuse and practically made me write whilst in pain :cry: Wouldn't you know it, I was the only one to end up with an arm that sore. The nurse didn't give as a choice of which arm to jab either!

Oh come on, you little girl, I got it yesterday and if people call this numb then they don't know what pain is.
Wrong person to argue about pain with, man ... wrong person.

Due to a rare condition, I have experienced more pain in my 20-odd years than most people will in a lifetime. That includes needles, IVs, biopsy procedures, bone marrow samples, surgeries, having 6 feet (yes, FEET) of cotton jammed up each of my nostrils, a biopsy of my EYE (yes, my EYE) ... need I continue?

When I saw something hurts, I MEAN IT HURTS. Remember, I had to take a 5mg Oxycodone just so I could sleep through the pain. I'm not saying "the H1N1 shot gives you horrible shoulder pain", I'm just saying that, perhaps, the nurse wasn't very good at giving shots, hit a nerve or whatever. The needle that was used was certainly different than needles for other shots I've received.

Last edited:
My mum complained about the needle being thicker than normal aswell - she injected it. I guess it could be a factor for the pain afterwards. She tried to replace it but couldn't be bothered after a little while.

What was with the cotton up your nostrils? Sinus operation? I've had one. It's fun. Not. <_<

Low platelet count (platelets = clotting agent in the blood), constant nosebleed that can't stop itself.