89 Supra Turbo and the beast (BMW M5)

Fiorano

Car(s)
1989 Supra Turbo, 2002 BMW M5
The supra was bought broken, ugly, ruined.

list of changes/repairs

auto to 5-speed (r154 transmission)
replaced starter
new driveshaft + bearing
replaced/repaired about a trillion wires
new alternator
new ac compressor and clutch, new AC amplifier (still not sure what that was but it cost $200)
also had to replace about half a dozen sensors

you get the point, only things that worked properly are the turbo, the engine and the limited-slip diff (which doesnt count, lol)

Body-wise:

painted from white to black
fixed scratches on roof (lol)
7 dents on driver door
5 on passenger door
huge dents on each rear quarterpanel
replaced hood
motor mount
tranny mount
a zillion other things............

anyway, point is, it was bought utterly ruined and ugly, now it's quite pretty.
Also, it hasn't even got 60k miles. It was left to rot in the sun for Im guessing more than 5 years, at least
http://img237.imageshack.**/img237/2771/supra.jpg

Drives like a dream

The M5 is a beauty from 2002.

http://img81.imageshack.**/img81/2236/bmweng.jpg

came missing some parts, temp sensor, cd changer but I replaced them easily thru ebay.

Great car to drive.

I am an ex-pat Brit living in Georgia. These are my first two cars I've actually owned. I remember being 16 and dreaming of driving a vauxhall nova.........

Also, let me know if the pics wont load, I havent sourced from that site before.

Last edited:
edited the links, do they work now?

Nope, can't see a thing. Sounds cool tho, can't wait to see some pics of the bimmer.

Looking for the pics of the Supra Turbo. There's one that sounds like what you're describing (utterly ruined) for $3.7k at a used car lot down the street from me.

Why dont you use phyrefile.com or imageshack or tinypic or etc etc...

done.

Hopefully working now. The supra is a beauty compared to the old days. I do have pics from the bodyshop job. I will dig them up.

Last edited:
Looking for the pics of the Supra Turbo. There's one that sounds like what you're describing (utterly ruined) for $3.7k at a used car lot down the street from me.

Mine was for $2500. If its a turbo, it may be worth your time. the 7mgte engine is highly tunable. You can also stick insane turbos on it.

My Dad (a driving instructor back in London) was recently taken for a spin in the M5. He's an utter petrolhead but never owned anything better than a Ford Cortina. (As we all know it's very difficult to own a nice car in Britain.)

His head is still spinning.

z0mg I jizzed in my pants, those are 2 of my favorite cars of all time

How much did the Auto -> 5-speed conversion cost you?

M0AR M5!!

http://img405.imageshack.**/img405/2505/carbonfiber.jpg

Me looking really stupid marveling at the carbon fiber strip on top of the engine.

Its my daily driver, if anyone really wants pics I can probably provide. The interior is beautiful I was very lucky with the leather.

http://img697.imageshack.**/img697/7215/bmwengine.jpg
the engine bay. very clean unlike the supra which is a disgrace.

Last edited:
How much did the Auto -> 5-speed conversion cost you?

$400 for the tranny (minus clutch, shifter, inspection plates, fork yada yada) which was a STEAL, I've heard of people paying thousands for them.

Scavenger hunt for clutch parts (many pieces as it is a pull style clutch and a new clutch of course) came to around $500

Labor would have been lots.

and lots.

EDIT - there are two 5 speed trannies. w58 and r154. W58 is the non turbo tranny. However it can handle a turbo as long as you don't dial the power up too far. They are much more common and cheaper than the r154. The r154 is friendly to 400rwhp+

Last edited:
You, sir, have very good taste.

You, sir, have very good taste.

I'm very proud. Both have very special engines. The M5 S62 for example can be tuned to 600bhp without any extra parts and the thing keeps on trucking. I do believe it's the same v8 used in the weissman roadster and the ascari a10. I know it's in some other cars too.

The 7mgte engine in the supra is interesting too.

Last edited:
I'd love to see some "before" pics of that Supra. It looks excellent now! And so does the M5.

I have one before pic which is cruddy quality somewhere. I have some pictures somewhere during the respray showing all the parts that needed to be filled in and the panel gaps that needed to be adjusted. I'll look when I get home.

Also, added an engine bay shot of the M5.

Brilliant choice, E39 M5 FTW. Great car with an even better engine : ) I'm quite jealous here :D

btw, I know its mandatory in the states, but the US spec's blinkers look really ugly in orange instead of transparent ones like the Euro spec.

like this

bmwm51.jpg