Autoblog: BREAKING: Dodge to end Viper production in July '10, new car in 2012

The viper is about raw power and simplicity. It doesn't have TC or ASC or any computer systems to tell the driver when he's about to die. You just have to drive it and hope that you don't end up in a bush. It's much like a classic lambo in that respect, but for a 1/4 of the price.

Seriously. An ACR is 106 grand. For that you get lots of downforce, lots of rubber, lots of power, lots of noise and lots of stripes.

If that doesn't satisfy you then you're hopeless.

I can just imagine the Italians and the Americans getting together to make the next viper with the Italian blokes argueing that it needs better brakes, suspenion and steering and the american just jamming a massive V8 in it and say: that's it , add some stripes and we're done! :lol:

I can just imagine the Italians and the Americans getting together to make the next viper with the Italian blokes argueing that it needs better brakes, suspenion and steering and the american just jamming a massive V8 in it and say: that's it , add some stripes and we're done! :lol:

V10, damnit! V10!

Yes but the american guy would want to put a V8 in it I think, a V10 is a bit more refined in my view.
*forgets his conceptions about american motoring*

Uh, the "American guys" have always put a V10 in the Viper. No idea what you're going on about.

^just forget my comment

I think that deserves a ban of some sort. There is no way it isn't worse than Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Come to think of it, didn't Lamborghini build the original Viper engine, since Chrysler owned them at the time?

They redesigned it yes.

V10's dont sound very good, though. That's my only beef against the Viper. It was really the last vestige of the classic no bullshit english roadster turned muscle car paradigm. It follows directly from that AC Cobra lineage and to me that's what driving a car should be all about. Jim Clark didnt have stability control, traction control, flappy paddle gear boxes and anti-lock brakes in his Lotus. I dont want a car that drives itself. I want to drive it dammit.

[youtube]5BoOyGmhySY[/youtube]

I'd take this any day:

[youtube]JyMQRwaaZtw[/youtube]

[youtube]QMfJeSDq2qc[/youtube]

This is not counting the really exotic single plane V8s and insane sounding v12s from Europe... those things are just incredible.

That Viper V-10 sounds pretty good, actually, like two I-5s having angry sex, which in fact the V-10 is.

V10's dont sound very good, though. That's my only beef against the Viper. It was really the last vestige of the classic no bullshit english roadster turned muscle car paradigm. It follows directly from that AC Cobra lineage and to me that's what driving a car should be all about. Jim Clark didnt have stability control, traction control, flappy paddle gear boxes and anti-lock brakes in his Lotus. I dont want a car that drives itself. I want to drive it dammit.

This is not counting the really exotic single plane V8s and insane sounding v12s from Europe... those things are just incredible.

I think the newer Vipers sound a lot better:

[youtube]dOun8JFf4T4[/youtube]

With the exhaust flaps open it sounds like Chewbacca getting a blowjob.

Last edited:
The Viper is an icon that is great to look at and listen to, but I won't really miss it. Looking forward to the replacement.