Top Gear to go HD!

I've downloaded BluRay rips in .avi and they look just as good as .mkv files, and the size is comparable. And not everyone who downloads the show on their computer, watches the show on their computer ;)

I watch it on my TV via DLink Media Lounge :mrgreen:

I've downloaded BluRay rips in .avi and they look just as good as .mkv files, and the size is comparable.

You could extract the video stream from the avi container and put it into an mkv container. Would look exactly as good, and be the same size bar a few k.

Container format is unrelated to video quality or compression ability.

Saw the first advert yesterday. No spoilers but it looks good. :D

Sorry, yes, I meant 1080i but it'd be deinterlaced to 1080p 'cause interlacing sucks balls.

Sure, but deinterlacing don't change anything and HD-TV displays progressive scan, so every interlaced signal (PAL, NTSC or 1080i HD) has to be deinterlaced.

My TV can play MKV files, but with polar special I had a problem with 1440x1080 since TV doesn't have option to rescale movies from external memory (like tv image). Other thing is that in polar special there was some audio codec my TV doesn't support :p.

Scene size for 720p one hour is usually 2.33gb.

Also the Polar Special is a bad representation of 1080 vs 720 since white is not a good measure. 720 wont look as good on a 1080 tv compared to 1080 and on a 720p tv 1080 is pointless, so it's more what you have than what you prefer

720p one hour is 1493MiB officially (one third of a DVD-R), see here on line 30: http://rules.nukenet.info/n.html?id=2008_TV_X264.nfo

I guess that 1080p will be around 1 DVD-R, if it is even released. The Scene doesn't normally release 1080p TV rips, even if source is 1080i, I guess because of no cropping ability and such.

You can also scale up 192x108 pixels to 1920x1080 :lol: still you won't get additional image information.

Sorry mate, but UPSCALING and DEINTERLACING are completely different things.:lol: With upscaling, you are creating fake pixels to match the native resolution of a given display. Deinterlacing is when you take an interlaced image (two fields, one frame) and combine them to make a progressive image (one field, one frame) at the source rather than at the display.

1080i and 1080p have the same resolution (1920x1080) :D

If you simply combine (weave) the fields from an interlaced TV source you will end up with an ugly result.

Every algorithm trying to improve those ugly results needs to estimate/guess/make things up. In fact, just like when scaling up the frame.

Hello,

This may have been already inferred, my apologies, but I hope to get some answers that will help people out there and myself.

So, it will we aired at 1080i.

- do we know if it's at 1920*1080i or 1440*1080i ?

- "full hd" = 1920*1080p, so ... no "full hd" anytime soon?

-according to polar special, 1080p is at 7GB, so are we to expect +/- the same size?

-since original material is 1080i, is there any point of the 1080p for computers/tv/displays that can deinterlace by themselves, wouldn't the 1080p just be bigger because of the info added to it to make it progressive?

-what would be the "no loss of quality/no extra info added/top of the top quality/no compromise" to view if 1080p, 1080i,720p and other sizes (for ex: 540p) are offered if your equipment(pc,tv,monitor,...) is top of the top?

If you simply combine (weave) the fields from an interlaced TV source you will end up with an ugly result.

Every algorithm trying to improve those ugly results needs to estimate/guess/make things up. In fact, just like when scaling up the frame.

But the quality of de-interlacing varies quite a bit.. I know my TV isn't brilliant at it.. If the scene does de-interlace the rip to 1080p, how good would it be?

De-interlacing interlaced material is what causes "stairs" in the image, right? It's always de-interlacing I blame in my head when the lines on the football field aren't complete lines.. :D Looks like the stadium suffers from jaggies!

Hello,

This may have been already inferred, my apologies, but I hope to get some answers that will help people out there and myself.

So, it will we aired at 1080i.

- do we know if it's at 1920*1080i or 1440*1080i ? 1440x1080 should be for 1.33 AR shows, TG is widescreen (1.78 or higher).

- "full hd" = 1920*1080p, so ... no "full hd" anytime soon? If you define 1080p as full hd then no, no full hd source. If you don't, and like me consider 720p and 1080i as full hd already, then yes, full hd.

-according to polar special, 1080p is at 7GB, so are we to expect +/- the same size?check a few pages back, been asked numerous times - and answered about as many times.

-since original material is 1080i, is there any point of the 1080p for computers/tv/displays that can deinterlace by themselves, wouldn't the 1080p just be bigger because of the info added to it to make it progressive? It may make sense to deinterlace before slapping the additional compression on top. That way the deinterlace process will produce better results.

-what would be the "no loss of quality/no extra info added/top of the top quality/no compromise" to view if 1080p, 1080i,720p and other sizes (for ex: 540p) are offered if your equipment(pc,tv,monitor,...) is top of the top? Getting the feed from the BBCHD channel. No web-friendly compression for example.

But the quality of de-interlacing varies quite a bit.. I know my TV isn't brilliant at it.. If the scene does de-interlace the rip to 1080p, how good would it be?

De-interlacing interlaced material is what causes "stairs" in the image, right? It's always de-interlacing I blame in my head when the lines on the football field aren't complete lines.. :D Looks like the stadium suffers from jaggies!

The simplest method of deinterlacing TV footage does cause those jagged edges, yep. Put simple, you're merging two images into one where one image was taken a fraction later. Panning shots become messy...

There are more advanced methods, ranging from blending/blurring to sophisticated motion compensation.
Keep in mind, your TV has to do everything on the fly in real time with reduced processing power.
An encoding box would throw dozens of GHz and a couple GB of RAM at it, without the constraint of having to finish every second of video processing in a second of real time.
Modern TVs have advanced a lot, but still can't keep up with a high-end old-fashioned computer.
On top of that, the computer can easily be updated with even more advanced algorithms - your TV can't, it might even have been outdated before you bought it.

Last edited:

There are many different algorithms to deinterlace and image; not just using weave. VLC, for example, allows you to change it on the fly.

When The Scene releases it in 1080p, it's not going to look "ugly"

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/progressive_scan.htm

Someone told me to download that combined community codec pack--thanks so much, i love the player it uses.

Will the rips of Top Gear in HD play on it with the codecs it came with in the pack, or will i need to download more stuff?

Someone told me to download that combined community codec pack--thanks so much, i love the player it uses.

Will the rips of Top Gear in HD play on it with the codecs it came with in the pack, or will i need to download more stuff?

It will play. The HD version will be using the x264 codec. VLC Player plays any file you throw at it without installing codecs ;)

As your link demonstrates, deinterlacing interlaced video does not match initially-recorded-as progressive video in sharpness and quality.

First set of images: Film-style camera recording full images (aka progressive).
Second set of images: TV-style camera recording half images (aka interlaced), badly deinterlaced.
Third set of images: Same camera, deinterlaced in a better way. Do we see full recovery of the image? No. Some information is lost/had to be made up by the deinterlacer. Spot a similarity to other algorithms? Yep. Scaling up.

"Only progressive scan makes it possible to identify the driver". Any method they tested that started out with deinterlaced video failed at that.

Last edited:
What about the PS3? Does anyone know if the HD rips will work with PS3 playback. I will watch the initial releases on my 15 inch laptop, but I would love to watch the HD rips on my projector/PS3 combo. The polar special was awesome on it, and season 14 should be even better:thumbsup:

fantastic. I wish they release the previous episodes in hdtv