FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED

On a semi-related note, Tiff and Vicki appear in Clarkson's new DVD "Duel." It's actually really cool to see them all on screen together.

i liked fifth gear in a different way, even though i paid no attention to it but i like their technical review of the cars and it is sad to see them go!

hope the presenters will somehow end up on a car TV program somewhere again soon.

I guess I've been living in a cave so I only learned about the news yesterday. I for one would miss FG as I always used to think of the FG-TG rivalry not as "Winner takes all" but more of a Olympics competition where the second position gets you a silver medal. The cancellation of the second best car show on the planet should be a sad moment and also a sad reflection of the future of car shows in general.

Reactions: LP
I posted this thread with the Title "FIFTH GEAR HAS BEEN AXED". A moderator (or someone else) edited the title to add the word FINALLY. It now appears to have been re-edited back to my original title.

Whatever mod edited the thread title to say "FINALLY" is a dickhead.

^ and should not be a mod.

Well, only thing worth watching on Fifth Gear was Tiff and Jason driving and Jonny's segments.
Other than that it was utter crap!
Tom, Vicky and Tim surely will not be missed by anyone?

^ It's hilarious how polarizing the Fifth Gear host team is...

I didn't care for Tiff as a presenter. His overacting drove me bonkers. Johnny bores me, usually, as there's nothing special about anything he says. Even his "Industrial Junkie" show is dull since there's really nothing that hasn't been seen just driving down a highway. And, he's an awful writer. "This big industrial mixer, is basically like a giant oversized kitchen mixer." Umm...huh?

Tom was always my favorite, and I didn't mind the banter with Tim, or Tim himself, but didn't think they should have hosted the show.

Vicki annoyed the living daylights out of me, and never found her particularly attractive. Especially the squealing.

is this for real?

i want my fifth gear back.. :(

they were still way better that top gear down under....

Well, I'm not gonna miss Fifth Gear quite so much. In fact, to anyone who always believed that Fifth Gear was better than Top Gear in every way, in terms of "proper" tests,hang your heads in shame! :p
I just got the news. Well, I am not from the UK. And this is very saddening. I always watch both FG and TG for different reasons. I watch FG for facts and knowledge while i watch TG for entertainment purposes.

Really sad to see FG to go away. For me, it is FG > TG :)

shame about this! i thought by the time of the latest series fifth gear had gotten pretty decent. way better than the cafe based crap with tim "i've no interest in cars" lovejoy. surely sky will buy the rights to this and we'll see another incarnation of FG. sky have been desperate to jump on the car show bandwagon since they made VROOM WROOM (which is truely awful).

Watching some footage of the new Megane RS on TV and I'm thinking we'll probably never see that reviewed by TG(they did the R26.R last season) and now we won't on Fifth Gear either :(

They're still putting up new webTV episodes so maybe, although this weeks' was filmed some time ago.

From all i've gathered they've got the winter series in the can - and as five has already paid for the production, i'll bet my ass they'll broadcast it...

Well, only thing worth watching on Fifth Gear was Tiff and Jason driving.
Other than that it was utter crap!
Tom, Vicky and Tim surely will not be missed by anyone?

Johnny bores me, usually, as there's nothing special about anything he says. Even his "Industrial Junkie" show is dull since there's really nothing that hasn't been seen just driving down a highway. And, he's an awful writer. "This big industrial mixer, is basically like a giant oversized kitchen mixer." Umm...huh?
Vicki annoyed the living daylights out of me, and never found her particularly attractive. Especially the squealing.

Well, I'm not gonna miss Fifth Gear quite so much. In fact, to anyone who always believed that Fifth Gear was better than Top Gear in every way, in terms of "proper" tests,hang your heads in shame! :p

Was going to post my own thoughts on this, but these three already summed it up exactly. Tiff's driving was an utter spectacle and far more entertaining to watch than the ultra-low-key Stig's timed laps, but that's all I could ever find worth watching about the show. Getting it edited here in the US, and being able to skip-forward made it barely tolerable, but if I'd had to sit through the whole thing with commercials, Vicki, Tom, Spikey-Hair Boy, the stupid car-giveaway segment and all just to get to the end with Tiff, I would surely gouge out my eyeballs before I made it that far. The rest of the show seemed like they were bowing to the nagging public write-ins about testing 'normal' cars that the TG team merely derides, insults and ignores, and for good reason. Thankfully Clarkson ignores his critics. Read Consumer Reports if you want to know which supid POS econobox to buy! Watch TG for car-entertainment with magnificent machines in action that most of us will never be able to afford and will probably never even see, much less witness being driven to extremes like they do. Exotics are usually parked inside a thermally-controlled, hermetically-sealed bubble and only brought out for leisurely cruises on nice summer weekend days. THAT is what makes TG great, and was lost on FG.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Tiff and Jason's driving.... they were always fun to watch, esp. some of the dogfights. Classic Tiff moments like his F430 drifting won't be forgotten. Tom wasn't too bad either, all things considered. Funny bloke. Agree with many of you about VBH... had her moments, I guess, but the squealing was nearly enough for me to switch off lol

It was nothing on Top Gear, true imo, but I'd never turn down another car show! (except TG:Au :p). I guess it's like anything these days.. you either have the secret formula or a cheap imitation destined to fail.

RIP Fifth Gear...