My personal car reviews: VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
It's been a while since I reviewed a car. Not that I didn't have my fun with rentals, only I always got cars I already had before.

Now for some time I finally have gotten something new: A Volkswagen Tiguan.

After the Volvo XC60, which I didn't like much to be honest, this is the second of the so-called "small" MPV's I have the opportunity to test out.

The good thing about owning a VW, is that you will immediately be able to use all switches and levers in any other VW, because they are always where you expect them to be.

I received the Tiguan yesterday, when it was already dark and I had absolutely no problem at all to find my way around in it. Unlike with the Volvo I mentioned above, I didn't have to go back to the rental and ask for help in finding switches or turn to the user manual to get something working.

Also (and that is an important point) I could easily find a fine sitting position and didn't have to leave the car to adjust the seat -- even without electrical seat adjustment (just a small hint towards the Volvo defenders ;))

The obviously basic Tiguan seats aren't what I would call state-of-the-art as well. But in contrast to the Volvo's, which only consist of foam from army bunk mattresses, the ones in the VW at least offer some side support and have a grippier surface, so you don't slide around and cling to the steering wheel with your life, when you turn quickly around a corner.

Also the footwell offers enough room for my legs and my left foot to rest and I do not hit my knees or other body parts at hard plastic edges or door handles, while driving. Again Volvo loses here in this comparison.

So my first impression was: Yes, I feel at home in this one.

My second one was: Oh dear, what's that clattering noise next to my left ear everytime the road gets rough?

Well, it's the seat belt retainer, which seems to have rather loose insides and clatters and squeaks right into your left ear. Very irritating and not exactly good build quality. The rest of the car, however, is solid as a rock. The interior makes a good quality impression, there is lots of space even on the back seats for persons like me and also lots of boot space. The tailgate is a bit heavy, though, and it needs some muscle power to shut it. So if you see a woman struggling with closing the tailgate on a Tiguan, don't laugh.

The Tiguan I had, came with the 2.0 liter Diesel engine with 140 HP and the 6-speed manual gearbox, which I already know from the Scirocco. However, while in the Scirocco it clearly is a complete mess, both engine and gearbox fit to the character of the Tiguan. Not only that but also the gears can all be used effectively.

However, shifting gears needs conentration from your side, because the gears are not very well defined and I more than once ended up in 6th, when I wanted the 4th. The clutch has a hefty bite and works binary (on or off), which is okay once you get used to it. The first times I shifted down, though, I nearly went through the front window, because it kicks in sudden and hard. Not the ideal car for driving schools...

The 140 HP of the engine prevent you from being quick: The car weighs a lot and has a lot of air drag, so the top speed is around 190 km/h -- with a veeeery long run-up to that. And it gets loud inside then, too. The engine is clearly a bit dated by now. Still not nearly as loud and shaky, as the 4-pot in the BMW 120d I had earlier this year, or -- heaven forbid -- the catastrophically bad Mercedes 4-cyliner diesel I once had in the B-Class.

However, if you keep the engine in the torque zone from about 1500 to 3000 rpm, you will move around town and country just fine.

Stay above 1400 rpm, though, because at 60 km/h in 5th gear (which is about 1200-1300 rpm) there is a deep frequency drone, which is enormously annoying. Same happens at 70 km/h in 6th gear. So driving at low revs with this car is only recommendable, if you think living inside a sub woofer is a great thing.

The turbo kicks in very sudden after a rather big turbo lag. The power is enough to overtake for example a big truck or two camper vans in an acceptable time. Don't expect any acceleration wonders on the Autobahn, though.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the Tiguan is the fact, that no matter where you look, your field of vision encounters large amounts of bodywork: The A-pillar is particularly fat, which makes it difficult to look into a corner. You are constantly moving around your upper body in order to see out and without the use of panned down side mirrors and the parking sensors you will inevitably have some dents and scratches in no time.

So far my review of the VW Tiguan contains light and shadow.

But The Tiguan has a big ace up its sleeve: Sublime road behaviour.

Normally when I have a comfy SUV or MPV, it's a blancmange when it comes to handling. The Mercedes ML-Class for example always gives you the feeling, that the momentum will carry you out of the corner.

The Volvo XC60, which is more like a direct competitor to the Tiguan, was also very comfy but frankly had very lousy road behaviour. You always needed to correct the steering and on narrow roads, you were actually afraid of either heading into the opposite traffic or into the ditch.

The Tiguan is very comfy, too. And I mean comfy. It almost glides like a hovercraft over bumped and bruised roads, which you can tell by my videos, because the camera hardly ever rattles. Only very hard joints in the road or big potholes come through and you hear them more, than you can feel them.

But in contrast to the Volvo, the Tiguan also offers excellent handling and great stability, even on wavy and bumpy backroads. Unlike in the Volvo you won't break into sweat, everytime another car comes towards you from the opposite direction on a narrow road.

The compromise VW found between comfort and roadability, is a masterpiece.

The Tiguan likes corners, feels nimble and planted in every situation you can encounter. It actually reminds me of the BMW X5, which has similar road behaviour but is not quite as comfortable.

Of course my Tiguan was equipped with the 4Motion AWD. You can also order it with FWD but nobody in their right mind should even consider that. In the current weather for example -- wet streets with lots of leaves on the road -- you cannot value AWD high enough.

So my bottom line is: Great multi purpose vehicle, with faults in details, which definitely could use or even needs a much more powerful engine.

Now for the pictures:

The design tries hard to cover the fact, that it's just a big, boxy car, and succeeds at least partially with that.
4103605934_f2bd79ffaa_b.jpg

4102849723_a4e91caa23_b.jpg

4102854025_e3d0e9cbd0_b.jpg

4102851811_042d97f740_b.jpg

Much space inside. I would even fit perfectly in the back behind the driver's seat, if I was the driver ;)
4103630008_e51fe15136_b.jpg

See the knob to adjust the backrest of the seat? It can be reached without leaving the car. Are you listening, Volvo???
4102865057_e937505dc4_b.jpg

4103619304_c983578199_b.jpg

The tailgate is heavy and needs some effort to close it. You need to use the whole hand. I was holding a crate of Coke in my left hand and the house keys in my right hand and was struggling to throw it down with only two fingers to use.
4103615280_1946cdc13e_b.jpg

That A-pillar is huge. It effectively blocks your view, when you want to turn left.
4102884197_cb68756dd1_b.jpg

The interior can almost be called funky for Volkswagen standards
4102868737_6375913a11_o.jpg

4102876243_ca60499e70_o.jpg

4103637788_5888071e3e_o.jpg

I will post the videos later. Much later probably, because my upload speed sucks and this car review of mine is the first one ever, where I made all the vids in HD.

But you will be in for a treat, if you wait. Because for the first time I made an audio commentary :D

So if you wanna hear a bloke sounding stupid with a hard German accent, while trying to think of the right words in English, when concentrating on driving a car, wait for it :lol:

Alright, first video is up (took only 9 hours or so).

At the start you can clearly hear the clattering from the seat belt retainer as a steady background noise (apart from the camera rattling) on the cobblestone road. It really is an unnerving thing and I hope, that it is just a problem of this particular Tiguan.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvBWdcNPJg[/YOUTUBE]

And video number 2 just finished uploading, too:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt316AfPmuE[/YOUTUBE]

And video number 2 just finished uploading, too:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt316AfPmuE[/YOUTUBE]
0:35 failing to stop at a stop sign :coplight:
And then das die polizei at 0:44, you lucky ;)

I don't hear the droning but I understand the concept. But the car is correct, fifth gear is better and saves fuel, its how you're supposed to drive a diesel.

Last edited:
0:35 failing to stop at a stop sign :coplight:
And then das die polizei at 0:44, you lucky ;)

Aha!

But that stop sign was put there because of the traffic and the pedestrians coming from the left across the rails. Only at the time I recorded that, the railway gates were closed! So there was no traffic and no pedestrians coming from the left ;)

But yes, when I saw the police car, I thought "Uh oh..." But nothing happened :D

I don't hear the droning but I understand the concept. But the car is correct, fifth gear is better and saves fuel, its how you're supposed to drive a diesel.

You'd probably need a subwoofer to hear the droning and the camera probably is unable to pick up such deep frequencies right but it's there and it is annoying.

By the way: Despite my high-reving driving style and not paying attention to fuel economy at any point (you will see that in the upcoming videos), I managed to average 6.7 l/100 km (35 mpg). That's not bad for an MPV. You wouldn't be able to get that with a petrol engine under any circumstances.

So that 2.0 liter VW diesel engine might be a bit old by now, but it still is very economical.

Last edited:
My wife recently bought a Tiguan, though her's is front wheel drive and has the same two liter from the Golf GTI (VW does not offer a diesel here).

I did not want to like this car, what I wanted for her was a Subaru Forester, but she was determined to buy a VW. The model she has is an SL, and it has every doo-dad available except sat nav. Heated leather seats, panoramic sunroof, directional headlights, the works. Someone mentioned to me "why did she get this instead of an Audi Q5?" After sitting and driving this car, it seems that for an extra $10,000 more you pay for an Audi badge. My wife is not one of those people.

The interior of it is very impressive, the quality of it I believe is on par with Audi. Of course, I am used to the agricultural layout of my Subaru...the litmus test was two weeks after she bought it we went on a long distance trip, and both of sharing driving duties. Macguffin, you are right. This car rides like it is a long wheelbase luxury car, but the steering and how it behaves in corners defys logic! It should not be that comfortable yet so willing to get tossed around.
The engine is as smooth as silk, IIRC the turbo is already spooled up at 3000 rpm's; whatever the case there was hardly any turbo lag. My only gripe was hesitation accelerating from a stop; you press the gas and there is 1/10 of a second where nothing happens. I do know this is a trait of VW's with electronic throttles, maybe the ECU can be reprogrammed?
In regards to your opinion of requisite AWD: With all the stability controls on this vehicle, I do not think it is needed, at least for how my wife drives it. I drove it at 150 km/h in the pouring rain and not once did I feel like it was losing grip.

Something strange happened just now: I was driving to check out a new restaurant and had to brake hard at a redlight.

The seat belt tightened, because the car detected the emergency brake -- and since then that clattering noise from he seat belt casing is gone!

Some things work in mysterious ways...

Clearly you awoke the small VW mechanic that was sleeping in the B-pillar.

The one thing I don't like about that car is the interior. It's so dull, with the copy-pasted VW Golf Plus dashboard and central console and the steering wheel is so ugly.

Outside, looks like a Golf in steroids, thought its size reminds me of the Audi Q5, even thought the Audi is bigger and fights in an upper championship. The Tiguan is not, I repeat, is not a rival for the Q5, BMW X3 and Volvo XC60.

Alright, the Autobahn vids are up now:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMb-_-s3qto[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a really funny one: I was doing 200 km/h according to the speedo and was closing up to a Porsche 911. As soon as the bloke in it realized, that he was about to be overtaken by a VW Tiguan, he stepped on it and stayed in front of me, only to leave the Autobahn at the next exit :lol: Talking about typical Porsche driver behavior :rolleyes:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADaPnwznEk[/YOUTUBE]

The problem I have with this is I'm not sure why one would want one over a Golf, either in regular or wagon flavors.

Last edited:
The one thing I don't like about that car is the interior. It's so dull, with the copy-pasted VW Golf Plus dashboard and central console and the steering wheel is so ugly.

See, us two might not agree on the looks of the 3-series coup?, but I totally agree with you on this one.
Not only is it dull, the plastic quality isn't superb either. It would really improve the quality feel of the Tiguan (and the Scirocco) if they got the same interior components/materials as the new Golf.

The good thing about owning a VW, is that you will immediately be able to use all switches and levers in any other VW, because they are always where you expect them to be.

While this is true, I don't think it's really that big of a benifit, especially if you're not used to other VWs. Someone used to another brand like I dunno, Volvo, would get to grips with the XC60 quicker.

IMO the XC60 does look a whole lot better than this though, inside and out. And it has the "I'll stop if you don't" feature which is just the coolest thing ever

Here's a really funny one: I was doing 200 km/h according to the speedo and was closing up to a Porsche 911. As soon as the bloke in it realized, that he was about to be overtaken by a VW Tiguan, he stepped on it and stayed in front of me, only to leave the Autobahn at the next exit :lol: Talking about typical Porsche driver behavior :rolleyes:

I have that ALL the time, people going out of my way, then seeing that I am a "lowly" Opel, and try to overtake me back... doesn't always work either :lol:

The interior of the Tiguan does look very basic, I guess the rental company bought a base spec car?

The interior of the Tiguan does look very basic, I guess the rental company bought a base spec car?

With this particular car it seemed to be the case. I mean, it didn't even have rain sensors, a feature my 10-year-old Golf already has.

But usually those rentals don't come butt-naked. You always have to consider, that those cars are sold again after half a year or so and then you might wanna have at least some of the extras, that raise the value.

The looks both of the body and the interior are of course a matter of taste. And it's useless to discuss about taste, that's why I rarely comment on looks or subjective perceptions.

The quality feel of the material in the Tiguan, however, is equal to what you get in other premium cars of that category -- don't let yourself be fooled by the pictures.

All the switches and levers feel nice and all the flaps and buttons have a really nice quality. Also the plastic parts in the dashboard look and feel much better, than the plastic I found for example in a Ford Mondeo.

And after the rattling seat belt mechanism fixed itself, there was no creaking, squeaking, fizzing or rattling whatsoever -- even on the notorious cobblestone road in our streeet.

Meanwhile, another video finished uploading:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___qPvPxaNA[/YOUTUBE]

If you should hear a banging sound in the corners -- that's a shopping bag in the boot :D

Last edited:
Two more videos are ready, only one more to go:

This one contains a stupid driver moment at 3:18
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6V5npc9FpQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Sgr4iEOrg[/YOUTUBE]

The final video is up -- and it's a night drive through town:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxTo72K8QQ[/YOUTUBE]

I can't believe it took three days to upload these vids.

Last edited:
I cant believe it either, how big are those files anyway?
Also BMW-drivers can't drive.

It was a tourist -- that says all :D

He started backing out again after I passed him and I saw in the mirror, that the van and the camper, which I overtook a moment before, had to swerve to avoid a crash. Luckily there was no traffic from the opposite direction at that moment.

The 10-minute-vids are between 1.6 and 1.7 GB on my hard drive.

Last edited:
OUCH!
I will help you Mr Mac, you can shave off huge amounts of size on those videos really quick and easy.

RipBot is very easy to use, you just open your input video and choose what you want outputted (like Youtube or PSP etc) and it'll convert your movies to a much smaller size without any noticeable quality loss.

You'll find this utility here
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipBot264

Last edited: