do all EU countries allow UK right-hand-drive cars?

af250xxl

is it only allowed for UK residents who drive their UK-registered
right-hand-drive cars on the continent?

for example, can a German citizen buy a right-hand-drive
Mercedes E-class in the UK and register it back in Germany?

Yes, you do need to modify the lights though.

Very few countries actually forbid having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, for example Ghana, Gambia or Cambodia.

Take the Daihatsu Copen, it was initially only sold as RHD with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car in Germany.

Last edited:
Yes, you do need to modify the lights though.

Very few countries actually forbid having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, for example Ghana, Gambia or Cambodia.

Our old friend the gaffer tape comes in handy with the lights. Wrong side? Pah! I'm right handed and like to use my stronger arm for steering while my weaker left arm does the easy gear changes (unless the oil is frozen), but that's a whole can of worms I don't want opening again. :D

You can't present your argument and then claim you don't want to open that can again, matt2000! The worms are fucking out!

Our old friend the gaffer tape comes in handy with the lights.

As a temporary solution for holidays etc. that's fine, but the OP was referring to actually buying a car and running it for years. All hail Gaffa Tape, but even that may fail some time... and if it's by hooligans pulling it off for giggles.

Wrong side? Pah! I'm right handed and like to use my stronger arm for steering

It's called P-o-w-e-r S-t-e-e-r-i-n-g :lol:

Worms fucking out? Where? This I have to see.

A perhaps slightly stupid question, but what sort of changes do you have to make to the lights?

I've never seen worms fucking (outdoors nor indoors) before.

^^ you have to mask them off so they're not aimed down the opposing lane. If you're thinking of permanent driving you need to switch them over so the light picture is correct (alot of light to the right and little to the left)

Last edited:

Maybe, but why would anyone do that? :p

However, because the market for specifically japanese sportscars like the Supra, Skyline or RX-7, is very small in a country like Denmark, people often have to import them from either Japan or the UK - in which case the cars are RHD. And they are totally legal to drive on public roads here (with danish registrations of course :cool: ).

A perhaps slightly stupid question, but what sort of changes do you have to make to the lights?

What Air said.

If you park your car in front of a wall, garage door, etc and turn on your regular lights you should see them cutting off quite nicely on whatever side your steering wheel is on to not blind other drivers coming the other way.
On the other (curb) side though it should illuminate stuff higher up as well, for example for street signs.

you don?t even need to tape the lights anymore... on a lot of modern cars you just set the lights appropriately, on the mini you can do it in less than a minute if you know how...

One of the things that really annoys me in Australia is that it is not allowed to drive LHD cars in most states. I think you can only register a LHD car in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia over 30 years old (I know this is the case in NSW) or its a special purpose vehicle, e.g. a digger. Otherwise I believe you have to register them in Queensland or Northern Territory.

is it only allowed for UK residents who drive their UK-registered
right-hand-drive cars on the continent?

yes, you can, but would you want to?
Aside from the fact that overtaking will become difficult, you're on the wrong side of the car for every turn.

Also, everything drive in or drive through will become a challenge...

^ Alot of guys from the auto club I'm in want to do RHD conversions to their 240s (90% are drifters). It's more "JDM" and it actually makes it easier to work on the car because it relocates the steering rack to a less useful area.

yes, you can, but would you want to?

Because cars are a massive shitload of a fuckton cheaper in the UK than here.

May I just say 20 grand DB7s?

Last edited: