Chrome: Google's Open Source Browser!

so did anyone check out their preview of the chrome operating system?

Downloaded a copy of it from TechCrunch, and so far, it's just Chrome with even less functionality.

from what I hear they get to decide which systems will run it. And you can't even install it afterwards...
Which means they totally control the hardware it runs on. Me no likey

For instance they will only let it be installed on SSDs.
Then again a boot up time of 7 seconds flat (!!!!) is awesomesauce

I also like how they put EVERYTHING online, it's like the computer is a mere terminal.
you could destroy your comp and buy a new one and not lose anything, ever

I also like how they put EVERYTHING online, it's like the computer is a mere terminal.
you could destroy your comp and buy a new one and not lose anything, ever
It also means that anyone with too much free time on their hands can destroy the data of thousands of users in a single instant.

It also means that anyone with too much free time on their hands can destroy the data of thousands of users in a single instant.

Assuming redundant, distributed storage on the back end it'd be more likely to lose data on your laptop than on the internet storage.

It also means that if I lose my wifi signal (for example, by entering my bedroom) my netbook becomes utterly useless.

ya i wasnt sure about the whole "online" thing

maybe if they can have 2 states, one where u can access ur hard drive and one where it's all online

wut if i wanna put tunes and videos on it and watch it where i dont have a signal

I'm not too sure about shifting everything online.

Over here in Australia, for example, mobile internet is hideously expensive, and having to connet to the web even just to view a word document is pretty damn shit....

Seriously Google needs to stop this "lets dump barely Alpha code apps on people and let them mass beta test for us" because its just annoying and most of the time it seems they dont go anywhere with it.
I downloaded the ChromeOS build and its super raw, I dont even know if its worthwhile to develop in, maybe you need to build it yourself for more usefulness in that area.

As for the whole theory, its flawed. Yeah we have Internet a good % of the time but its still not 100% or cheap. Also how will it work in offline mode? Google Gears could close the gap but I doubt it. Also the real question is yeah people want Internet and browsing but it seems "apps" are still the way to go. You can use Twitter.com but most people use a twitter client. what about music? Are you going to stream EVERYTHING?

I liked what google did with Chrome, its speed is blazing fast, but with the growth of Cell Phone OS's (Android and iPhone OS X) and devices like that and netbooks that can run full blown OS I have a hard time seeing on what device Chrome OS fits in to. If cant cost over $300 because you can get a netbook with Linux and maybe a bit higher with Windows. Go lower, and your walking in to iPhone/Andriod area and they are getting more and more powerful.

This might be another one of those Google falls on its face moment, or, worst just cannibalized the Linux market.

Seriously Google needs to stop this "lets dump barely Alpha code apps on people and let them mass beta test for us"

Google said:
Google Chrome OS will be ready for consumers this time next year.

I wouldn't call it dumping low-quality apps on people when you yourself made the choice to download it and the developer explicitly told you it's not ready for consumers.

Nobody is forced to use this. Neither in its current state nor later when/if it will be ready for consumers. Only specific ChromeOS devices will come with it, and if you buy a ChromeOS device you shouldn't complain about getting ChromeOS forced down your throat.

Assuming redundant, distributed storage on the back end it'd be more likely to lose data on your laptop than on the internet storage.

That. Also, you're not likely to spill your sodie all over your innernet server.

It also means that if I lose my wifi signal (for example, by entering my bedroom) my netbook becomes utterly useless.

Just how big is your house? or how crap is your signal?

If you had taken the time to view their demo video you'd know there is (or will be) an offline storage API. Any application using that can also be useful without connectivity.

For example there could be a document editor with offline storage capability, you could write stuff while in your bedroom and it'd sync itself when you get out of it.

That. Also, you're not likely to spill your sodie all over your innernet server.

Just how big is your house? or how crap is your signal?

The router is across the house and a floor up, there's a large chimney directly behind it, and one of the bedroom walls is covered in sheet metal. It's the latter that is the real problem. I can actually get a weak signal by sitting in the doorway :lol:

Good to hear it does not require online connectivity but it still seems a bit simplistic. Netbooks are being marketed as less than 'real' computers when it simply is not the case.

The router is across the house and a floor up, there's a large chimney directly behind it, and one of the bedroom walls is covered in sheet metal. It's the latter that is the real problem. I can actually get a weak signal by sitting in the doorway :lol:

Good to hear it does not require online connectivity but it still seems a bit simplistic. Netbooks are being marketed as less than 'real' computers when it simply is not the case.

Option 1.
how about "antenna extender" so you can bring the wlan out of the metal-brick-panicroom and use it in the rest of the house.

Option 2.
buy another wlan-device that uses wired to connect to your existing network and use it as extender.

Option 3.
don't use wlan, it'll save the prosessing power of the router.

I'm not a big fan of all my files being held in a cloud. Mostly because circumstances completely outside my control could prevent me from accessing it. Judge Orders Google To Deactivate User's Gmail Account. In that instance a gmail user quite literally did nothing and a court order suspended their account. I admit this case is quite extreme.

If you had taken the time to view their demo video you'd know there is (or will be) an offline storage API. Any application using that can also be useful without connectivity.

For example there could be a document editor with offline storage capability, you could write stuff while in your bedroom and it'd sync itself when you get out of it.

This will make me much more likely to use it regularly. Although I still think that, at best, Chrome OS won't take people away from Windows or Leopard. Instead I'd expect it will cause more people to start using multiple OSs. Chrome OS on netbooks or dualboots on laptops and more traditional OSs for home and work.

I'm not a big fan of all my files being held in a cloud.

Stick to a traditional system then, those will continue to exist.

Although I still think that, at best, Chrome OS won't take people away from Windows or Leopard. Instead I'd expect it will cause more people to start using multiple OSs. Chrome OS on netbooks or dualboots on laptops and more traditional OSs for home and work.

Again, view their presentation. They themselves state their intention as a secondary (tertiary, etc) companion device for people having a full-fledged pc or laptop elsewhere. They also say there are lots of applications that just cannot work in a ChromeOS setting, and they have no intention of making them work.

Save it for what exactly? It's not like it has anything else to do.

I've been looking into setting up a repeater. There are only a few places that don't get a signal.

erm to save the prosessing power to allower more wired packets to go throw (mostly to a specific program).

well repeater works then :)

I could get Chrome and give up watching 720p videos (or any local videos by the looks of things?) and playing games from earlier in the decade... or I could just stick to Windows and put up with the 10 seconds it takes W7 to come out of hibernation. ;)

I admit I haven't actually tried this on my netbook but there is nothing for someone like me to get excited about. I don't know about netbooks with tiny screens and tiny SSDs, but my 10 incher with a decent hard drive has no issues with Windows 7 and I'm not new to computers so I can get around a full-fledged OS - why should I bother?

I do almost everything I need to do on my netbook, there's no reason to have Google disable all that functionality and give you what's more or less a standalone browser. My 2 cents only, this is Google after all and they'll make money off it somehow.