Autoblog: Idiot Toyota Exec: 4Runner "is the last authentic SUV."

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/22/toyota-blends-social-media-and-trail-search-tool-in-4runner-mark/

Said the executive creative director of the 2010 Toyota 4Runner media campaign: "This is the last authentic SUV. All the rest have gone suburbia." By "authentic" he means dirt, surf, wilds, and maybe bears, and to show you how to get there, Toyota has rolled out the Toyota Trail Tracker.

A social media tool and soon-to-be mobile app, the trail tracker allows you to find and upload info on trails across the United States. And it isn't just for wild, rocky hellholes either (that's the 4Runner on the Rubicon Trail above) -- you can upload and find scenic drives and fire roads that lead to great surfing spots.

If you want the world to know what you did when you got there -- or how you manged to get out -- you can post photos and video to the site, as well as upload GPS data. The Trail tracker website is live now, with about 29 trails nationwide at the time of this writing. It's intriguing that one of the vehicles that led SUVs out of the wilds and into suburbia is now playing the Pied Piper to lure folks back into the woods. At least now maybe we'll get to see what it's really got.
The Jeep Wrangler, the Toyota FJ Cruiser and the Nissan X-Terra would like to have a word, jackass. Way to throw one of your own models on the fire.

Well, the Wrangler isn't really an SUV. The Wrangler is really in a class by itself - quarter-ton trucks.

And yeah, he's a moron. The 4Runner is known as the "Mall Runner" for a reason and it exemplifies the "SUV gone suburbia". You hardly ever see them offroad any more, that's how unsuitable they've become. Even it's "suburbia-adapted" counterpart over at Nissan, the current Pathfinder, is far more competent offroad out of the box (though the next version won't be).

The Land Rover Defender, still on sale outside the US, would like to have a word, too.

Last edited:
True, I forgot about the Defender. I also forgot about the Nissan Patrol.

The Patrol comes in several flavors, some of which are "mall-rated" and some of which eat Land Cruisers and Land Rovers for breakfast.

Then again, nice of him to admit that the body cracks/failure issues render the FJ Cruiser totally unusable off road. :lol:

I think the new Jeep Grand Cherokee would like to have a word with him as well.

Well, the Wrangler isn't really an SUV. The Wrangler is really in a class by itself - quarter-ton trucks.

I'd say the Wrangler Unlimited certainly strays into SUV territory, having a longer wheelbase, 4 seats, and more cargo room than the normal Wrangler.

Also, the XJ Cherokee is still produced in China. :p

I'm a sucker for PRspeak. . . Rabble! Rabble! Rabble! Rabble!

I am surprised the executive did not use the words "synergy" "ramification" "Immersion" "Empowerment" "proactive" or for that matter, "cromulent" to describe the 4Runner, since idiots use these words, too.

I can't add much to what has already been said.

Finalgear 4x4er's march down to Toyota headquarters to show them what a real 4x4 is? Anyone?

I can't add much to what has already been said.

Finalgear 4x4er's drive over Toyota headquarters to show them what a real 4x4 is? Anyone?

:lol:

Maybe he meant last authentic toyota..... Makes you wonder how soft future ones will be then.

Last edited:
Why would you even make that thought public? Bad vibes, kat.

It's toyota. They are ruining ALL their cars lately it is to be expected.

Good vibes:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rTICMVXQQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Anyhow, back on topic...:whistle:

I am surprised the executive did not use the words "synergy" "ramification" "Immersion" "Empowerment" "proactive" or for that matter, "cromulent" to describe the 4Runner, since idiots use these words, too.
If it waddles like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, if it swims like a duck - it's a duck.

It occurs to me that he might be promoting the 4Runner this way because of the FJ Cruiser. The FJ Cruiser has been such a 'success' that Toyota is going to let it expire and exit production without a successor.

Idiot, FJ Cruiser yeah sure, none whatsoever here that can do anything that 4x4 are used for exp. Defender, oold Land Cruiser, Patrol and Jeep.

those FJ here are on huge 22" chrome rims, plus the FJ is ugly nuff said.

plus, there are so few 'authentic' SUVs left

Idiot, FJ Cruiser yeah sure, none whatsoever here that can do anything that 4x4 are used for exp. Defender, oold Land Cruiser, Patrol and Jeep.

those FJ here are on huge 22" chrome rims, plus the FJ is ugly nuff said.

plus, there are so few 'authentic' SUVs left

Most FJ's I see here are lifted with either 33's or 35's. They actuallly look pretty good.

The biggest problem with the FJ, aside from the beach-head-defense windscreen and giant blindspot, is that Toyota pumped the pooch on design and quality. In three years they have never resolved the body ripping issue, or even acknowledged it's existence.

If the FJ had some real windows for decent visibility and enough strength to not rip itself apart, I would really go for it.

Actually, Toyota may bring out a successor to the FJ:
975rtf.jpg

Last edited:
And those are some pretty big problems. I suspect that part of the reason for Toyota's reticence is that they've found out that they can't fix the problem without hideously expensive repairs/redesigns.

Toyota appears to be digging themselves an industrial-sized hole.

Happily for us, Nissan doesn't ever seem to have forgotten what offroaders want - hence the Xterra. :D