Autoblog: Idiot Toyota Exec: 4Runner "is the last authentic SUV."

The X-Terra is not without it's shortcomings, but anywhere the X falls short there is a way for the consumer to fix those problems. For really serious rock crawling the front diff on the X is a bit weak, but that can be swapped out and give you more lift and articulation if you swap in a Titan front end. The rear tends to bottom out, especially with a full load of people/stuff, but a new spring pack, add-a-leaf, helper spring or airbag fixes that problem, depending on what works best for the consumer.

I just wish Nissan allowed aftermarket parts makers to be involved with the pre-production of the X. Other car makers do this so there is a ready market of parts and mods.

FickJa.jpg

Would like a word....

^ Despite it being very capable off road. I don'nt think a GWagen has left the pavement since 1996.

Although, I'd love to pick up a Canadian military spec GWagen. That would be some fun!

The X-Terra is not without it's shortcomings, but anywhere the X falls short there is a way for the consumer to fix those problems. For really serious rock crawling the front diff on the X is a bit weak, but that can be swapped out and give you more lift and articulation if you swap in a Titan front end. The rear tends to bottom out, especially with a full load of people/stuff, but a new spring pack, add-a-leaf, helper spring or airbag fixes that problem, depending on what works best for the consumer.

I just wish Nissan allowed aftermarket parts makers to be involved with the pre-production of the X. Other car makers do this so there is a ready market of parts and mods.

Nissan has occasionally allowed aftermarket makers to work with them in preproduction, but their results have been mixed.

Even so... the X makes the FJ look weak and the 4Runner look like the car it is. :D

^ Despite it being very capable off road. I don'nt think a GWagen has left the pavement since 1996.

Although, I'd love to pick up a Canadian military spec GWagen. That would be some fun!

Actually, I do believe it has. I hardly ever see any G-Klassen driving around in the city here, in fact I see more Defenders in the city.

What I do however see is G-Klassen in forests.

I can't add much to what has already been said.

Finalgear 4x4er's march down to Toyota headquarters to show them what a real 4x4 is? Anyone?

Hehee.......I'll get right on that with my rig.....

12.jpg

IMG_4176.JPG

That said, its pretty much been confirmed that the FJ cruiser is gone after 2010, and even the numbers sold will be very minimal in the coming year. All focus for "offroading" will go to the 4runner from now on supposedly.

It is in the rare group of vehicles with a selectable locking differential, low range box, and a reasonably strong and capable of IFS (Independent Front Suspension). Its essentially the same car as the FJC underneath, and those are about as capable of a vehicle offroad as one can be without a solid axle. Heck, they just tested one of the test mules on the Rubicon in California, which while its not the hardest trail around, is certainly no slouch. In some ways its kind of become the Nurburgring of offroading, in that the manufacturers take their new vehicles there for testing.

I'm not a huge fan of the styling, and I really wish Toyota would go back to the days of the 1st Generation 4runner, or even 2nd generation. Something small, nimble, and dependable. Check it out....

1st Generation 4runner
DSC_0010_2.jpg

2nd Gen 4runner (90's)
4runner2.jpg

to this monstrosity...

5th Gen 4runner (2010)
2010-Toyota-4Runner-0.jpg

Quite the difference from 20 years ago huh? The pics don't do the size difference justice either. The 1st gen will easily fit in a compact car parking spot, not even close with the new one.

Kinda bummed that Land Rover and Jeep are the only ones still making full on offroad vehicles these days. By that, I mean vehicles designed with offroad ability equally weighed with driving on the highway. At least Dodge and Ford have kind of started to cater to it, with the Raptor and Power Wagon. At least when the apocalypse happens, I'll be prepared to get where I need to go right?:lol:

JH

Yeah, as a proud owner of a 2nd gen, im in.

a response to the 70 series pic
getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

Nice

getfile.aspx

See a G wagon is useful

attachment.php

but then again these are all military versions of those models

just imagine if the LC200 looked like that, and soon the LC150 will look ....almost like the LC200

I've always liked the first gen 4runner.

^ what the hell is that? reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec :barf:

but the first and second gen. 4Runner are my fav.

Looks like a toy, I kinda like it. Of course I imagine is 10 levels of ugly in person.

It is in the rare group of vehicles with a selectable locking differential, low range box, and a reasonably strong and capable of IFS (Independent Front Suspension).

Other than the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Defender and Discovery/LR3, Patrol, Pathfinder, Xterra, Toyota's own Land Cruiser, whatever Mitsu is calling their troop transport this week, H3 and others.... they're just not that rare.

Kinda bummed that Land Rover and Jeep are the only ones still making full on offroad vehicles these days. By that, I mean vehicles designed with offroad ability equally weighed with driving on the highway. At least Dodge and Ford have kind of started to cater to it, with the Raptor and Power Wagon. At least when the apocalypse happens, I'll be prepared to get where I need to go right?:lol:

JH

Again, you're leaving out a lot of makers. Not least of which is Nissan and their Xterra.

Other than the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Defender and Discovery/LR3, Patrol, Pathfinder, Xterra, Toyota's own Land Cruiser, whatever Mitsu is calling their troop transport this week, H3 and others.... they're just not that rare.

Not to be picky, but he did say ISF. The bolded vehicles above are either standard solid front or available solid front. The Land Cruiser is IFS in the US, but is available in a Solid Axle in Australia, I think. Not sure about the Mitsubishi.

Last edited:
Not to be picky, but he did say ISF. The bolded vehicles above are either standard solid front or available solid front. The Land Cruiser is IFS in the US, but is available in a Solid Axle in Australia, I think. Not sure about the Mitsubishi.

True, kinda skimmed over that. Though the Defender or Defender replacement is slated to get IFS shortly, as is the 2010 Patrol.

Then we can replace the Wrangler with the Liberty, which is surprisingly capable.