Personal VPNs

LeMans GTR

Hi, I'm going to be in Hong Kong until February and I've been trying to watch stuff from Megavideo but the site is blocked from Hong Kong (even though the company is from there :?) so anyways I was wondering if you guys could help me set up a personal VPN so I can browse without any nuisance.

Edit:I have a new problem, my computer can't connect to the internet, it just says Local Only which is fricking useless to me. My sister and parent's computer connect to the internet fine but mine can't. At first the LAN icon didn't appear at all but I just looked in device manager and it was there so sure enough I exit it and the LAN icon returns.

Edit2: Connection problem has been fixed

Last edited:
You have another computer somewhere else? If so, what OS are both running and what kind of internet connection does the computer you'll be running tunnelling to have?

Actually I don't have a computer to tunnel to so I assume this isn't going to work. Anyway I have a new problem, my computer can't connect to the internet, it just says Local Only which is fricking useless to me. My sister and parent's computer connect to the internet fine but mine can't. At first the LAN icon didn't appear at all but I just looked in device manager and it was there so sure enough I exit it and the LAN icon returns.

i'm not sure what operating system you're running, but i'll try to help with your connection problem:
if you're on windows:
go to Network Connections, in the control panel, and right click on the network connection you're trying to connect with and hit properties. then, select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) under the list of installed services for that adapter, and hit properties again. On the assumption that your router automatically assigns IP addresses to the computers on the network, select the thing that says "Obtain and IP Address automatically" and the DNS one too. once you apply the settings, you'll have to disconnect and reconnect from the network, or unplug and replug in the cable if it's a wired connection.

if you're on os x:
system preferences -> network -> click on 'advanced' for whichever connection you're trying to use, and click on the TCP/IP tab. then, choose to configure IPv4 automatically using DHCP, hit ok, and then apply. again, you may have to disconnect from and reconnect to the network for it to work.

after this is fixed, we can move on to the VPN issue, for which i have a solution in mind.

Last edited:
One option, assuming you don't mind paying a bit, is a commercial VPN solution. I have never had any trouble with SwissVPN, but there are others as well. You could also try Tor, which is free but slow and annoying.

the option i was thinking of is called It's Hidden (www.itshidden.com), which i've used successfully in the past. The only issue with it is that they've recently instated a 1 Mbps speed limit for the free accounts, which kinda sucks. they have a pay option, too, that includes things like port forwarding (i saw your other thread).

I've been able to use publicvpn.com with some success. Not perfect, as some sites do ban it as a point of abuse, but it's not terribly expensive. You'd need to try it and see how it works for the sites you wannt to get to.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions, I also looked around on the internet and someone suggested HotSpot shield and I'll give that a try too.

i'm not sure what operating system you're running, but i'll try to help with your connection problem:
if you're on windows:
go to Network Connections, in the control panel, and right click on the network connection you're trying to connect with and hit properties. then, select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) under the list of installed services for that adapter, and hit properties again. On the assumption that your router automatically assigns IP addresses to the computers on the network, select the thing that says "Obtain and IP Address automatically" and the DNS one too. once you apply the settings, you'll have to disconnect and reconnect from the network, or unplug and replug in the cable if it's a wired connection.

if you're on os x:
system preferences -> network -> click on 'advanced' for whichever connection you're trying to use, and click on the TCP/IP tab. then, choose to configure IPv4 automatically using DHCP, hit ok, and then apply. again, you may have to disconnect from and reconnect to the network for it to work.

after this is fixed, we can move on to the VPN issue, for which i have a solution in mind.

Thanks, it worked.

the option i was thinking of is called It's Hidden (www.itshidden.com), which i've used successfully in the past. The only issue with it is that they've recently instated a 1 Mbps speed limit for the free accounts, which kinda sucks. they have a pay option, too, that includes things like port forwarding (i saw your other thread).

I'll give that a shot but any further suggestions should be free, I have no
money

EDIT: That worked really well, but it's very, very slow.

Last edited:
excuse me. apparently i technically meant KiBps... :glare: more importantly, this debate has absolutely nothing to do with lemans gtr's vpn problem. :spam:

Yeah, but his issue appears to have been solved?

KiBps... kibibytes/kibibits have no place in communication networks, those people think in powers of ten.

You could try finding a friend with either a fast connection or a server who can set up a proxy or VPN for you to use.
Alternatively you could use a commercial service, I believe some were posted already.

^ Do I need to route to someone outside of Hong Kong to get around the restrictions? and would us setting up the vpn affect their connection (eg. use up their bandwith, neuter their speeds etc.)

Depends on what exactly is banned by whom.
If megavideo bans .hk then you need somebody outside of .hk, if your ISP bans megavideo then you need someone with a different ISP.

Just setting up the VPN wouldn't do anything to speed or bandwidth, only when you use it you will eat up twice what you use (once down, once up for them).

^ So say they have a 12GB cap for their internet, I would be using up a portion of that when I'm using the VPN.

If they themselves use up 10 of the 12 then there's 2 left for you, of which you can use 1 because it goes through their pipes twice.