Cable Modems - Port Fowarding

LeMans GTR

I'm currently staying in Hong Kong for my holidays and I'm having trouble setting up my sister's internet for bit torrent. We're currently running a cable setup, but apart from that I don't know much. Here's how it's working right now. We have one Ethernet cable which connects from the laptop to the modem, then another Ethernet cable from the modem which is connected to a second modem which is connected to the phone, both modems then have a cable each which connect them to the cable outlet.

Modem 1: Motorola Surfboard SB5100
Modem 2: Terayon TA-102

I've found nothing on PortFoward so far so any help is very much appreciated. In addition, some have said that since these two are just modems, there is no need for port fowarding, however when utorrent checks, the port is closed

Last edited:
I would try checking to see if Windows has opened the ports and then try accessing the modems to see if they are filtering those ports. Have you told uTorrent to try different ports?

Not yet, but right now I can't even get inside the modem, when I type in the IP it knocks me back out.

Try looking on the manufacture's website or manual for the IP address, you could be using the wrong one to try and access it. If that doesn't work try resetting the modems and you should be able to get in them. Just make sure you have all the passwords and ISP settings written down before you reset it.

Last edited:
...ok, well atleast its not as complicated as I first thought....

...ok, well atleast its not as complicated as I first thought....

The Motorola Surfboard SB5100 from my knowledge of cable ISPs is.... *Google'ing images* ....your modem and the Terayon TA-102 is a VOIP box for your phone system.

So it turns out, no you don't have two modems. At first didn't realize what you said up top; Then after reading a second time witout skimming, "second modem which is connected to the phone," it began to be clear.

Just checking to make sure, does your setup look like the cruddy diagram? (which should have never taken me so long, :lol:)

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ny/nyacaginsky/2009/06/29/GTRyouneedtechlesson.bmp

Ok, so there is no other wires or devices in the setup? How can that be? You have the VOIP hooked up to a modem (which only has one Ethernet port) while its connected to a PC? Do you have a router somewhere in that connection?

motorola_sb5100.gif

Are you doing what I use to do when I didn't have a router.... Are you plugging your PC into the USB and the Ethernet into the VOIP?

While your clearing up that picture for me....
Could you try clicking on "random port" in uTorrent if you haven't tried that before?

* EDIT: Google Images is showing us the correct modem I thought it was all along, right? *

Last edited:
1.we also have the cable tv set top box which connects to a three port connector thing which connects everything to the cable outlet.

2. We don't have a router

3. Hangon, just realised the setup is diffirent, goes like this

http://img30.imageshack.**/img30/8531/coaxial.jpg
(Purple Lines = Coaxial Cables, Also there is a splitter that joins them up and connects to the wall)

4. Random Port on Utorrent doesn't work.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense now. Usually you don't have to touch a modem when its configured like that since your directly connected to the internet. Check your Windows firewall or if you have some anti- spyware/malware/virus software check that too. You need to make sure uTorrent is on the list for open ports in all of those.

Thread Bump

Okay, so are the ports meant to be closed? or is there some kind of problem; and while I'm still here, my speeds are under 20kb/s and I have a 82:18 Seed/Peer ratio. I'm not particularly computer savvy but even I know that's not right.

As Yaco said, you normally don't need to forward ports unless you are behind a router.

So why are my speeds still painfully slow? And so does the state of the ports not matter? I assume utorrent should say that the ports are all open since as said above I'm directly connected to the internet.

The state of the ports does matter, but if you don't have a router or a firewall, then the port should be open. You should be getting the green checkmark in utorrent if the port setup is OK. If not, try using a different port in Preferences >> Connection. Make sure Windows Firewall isn't blocking the port either. Otherwise it's possible your ISP could be throttling the torrent traffic.

Have you tried downloading a different torrent? It's possible that this specific torrent is slow or you're connected to a slow swarm.

And just out of curiosity, what are your results when you run a speed test?
http://speedtest.net/

Last edited:
Speedtest shows,

Download: 6.73 megabits per second (Mum's computer shows 10mbps download for some reason)
Upload: 1.35 megabits per second

Anyway I'm pretty sure it isn't the torrents because it's just the Top Gear torrent for this weeks episode and they worked fine last week when I was in Australia. On the bright side I am getting the green tick on the torrent marker but my speeds rarely go above 30kb/s. If its any help, HTTP downloads are fine since I just downloaded Adobe Lightroom from the Adobe site and I got 1.1mb/s download.

Last edited:
Since you have the green checkmark in utorrent and your speeds are good for everything else, I'm guessing that your ISP is throttling torrent traffic. Maybe try the http torrent method through one of the sites that offer it. I've never had to use it, so I'm not sure which site is best.

Look at the speeds in the throttle test results though. The max download was only 319kbs.....that converts to only about 40kBs (8kb = 1kB), which would be the speed displayed in utorrent. I'm not sure what sort of speeds you would have to produce in order to be considered "throttled", but your results are quite slow indeed, especially considering the capabilities of your connection according to the speed test results you posted earlier :/

Last edited: