Stupid Driver Stories

Right, so are we talking about standstill traffic here? because now I am confused?

Well, traffic was driving, but very slowly. I was accelerating on the onramp, trying to merge, saw a spot directly in front of the truck, so I accelerated to get there before he was. There was TONS of space left for me to merge, but mr Truckdriver deemed it nessacery to violently swerve on the shoulder to block me from merging infront of him.[/quote]

I'm sorry but this is precise the type of unpredictable nervous behavior I was talking about earlyr.....ever see how most accidents (and huge trafficjams) on the highway start? because someone somewhere was trying to get home "a little faster while shortening the jam"
Newsflash: everyone there is trying to get home, just stay in line.

bah, I don't see why driving 300 m on the shoulder (ie a piece of road that nobody ever uses unless they have a serious problem with their car) could cause problems? Unless everyone's doing it, and people are just merging in there at speed without looking/indicating.

I know its very "naughty" to do, and not very nice to everyone else, but dangerous?

bah, I don't see why driving 300 m on the shoulder (ie a piece of road that nobody ever uses unless they have a serious problem with their car) could cause problems? Unless everyone's doing it, and people are just merging in there at speed without looking/indicating.

Here, you are entitled to drive on the emergency lane if you are at less than 500m from the exit you want to take.

Yes, but in Italy, nobody follows any road rules whatsoever, and nobody cares about stuff like that... so even if it was illegal, people would do it anyway... (and get away with it)

Yes, but in Italy, nobody follows any road rules whatsoever, and nobody cares about stuff like that... so even if it was illegal, people would do it anyway... (and get away with it)

yes... a bit... :p:)but the point was it is contemplated by the law itself, whereas driving on the emergency lane is (well... would be, it they get you (but motorway police controls are quite frequent)) punished with a fine between 350 and 1500 euro, driving licence suspension from 1 to 6 months and 10 points less (on a total of 20).

So the fact that you can drive on it if you are at less than 500 meters from the exit you will take is noticeable.

Last edited:
Well, traffic was driving, but very slowly. I was accelerating on the onramp, trying to merge, saw a spot directly in front of the truck, so I accelerated to get there before he was. There was TONS of space left for me to merge, but mr Truckdriver deemed it nessacery to violently swerve on the shoulder to block me from merging infront of him.

I know its very "naughty" to do, and not very nice to everyone else, but dangerous?

The swerving thing....the way you discribe ot I can't realy see what you did wrong there and swerving is never a sympathetic thing to do so i'm gonna call truckdriver being an asshat on that one....

The driving on the shoulder thing..... imagine this : your in a trafficjam, your exit comes up, you put on your indicator and as soon as the off-ramp starts you move right.... only to find someone in your blind spot to you right and a little back coming in from the shoulder at a higher speed then you (because your still in the jam) ...... *bang* you werent expecting him where you? why? because he's not supposed to fucking be there !
Now imagine this in a 18m long 35 ton vehicle with blind spots bigger then the moon ( all the mirrors help but there still are gaps) witch can easely crush jhonny-in-a-hurry's little ecobox into the guardrail ..... not a pleasant prospect.

And yess I have been to Italy in a truck.....never had so many 'near misses' in such a short period off time .....ever, I'm surporised anybody makes it past 30 over there.....respect ! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
And yess I have been to Italy in a truck.....never had so many 'near misses' in such a short period off time .....ever, I'm surporised anybody makes it past 30 over there.....respect ! :mrgreen:

Well, there are patterns in the italian driving style. ...but they change from town to town, so the truth is there is only one rule:

expect the unexpected...

The swerving thing....the way you discribe ot I can't realy see what you did wrong there and swerving is never a sympathetic thing to do so i'm gonna call truckdriver being an asshat on that one....

Quick, name some stupid things people do while driving?

Talking on the phone?
Texting?
Shaving?
Putting on makeup?
Eating?

Try scrapbooking. Yes, fucking scrapbooking!
For those of you who don't know this, scrapbooking is a quaint little hobby that involves the adult application of pre-school cut-and-paste skills to make ornate and pointless picture albums.

I was sitting at a stop light and looked over to see some woman in a Ford minivan with her two crotch-droppings strapped in the back seat. She was using serrated scissors and cutting up construction paper so it would have a frilly edge and be all pretty or something.
"Well," I said to myself, "that's a new one. At least no one is possibly dumb enough to drive around with scissors between their chest and the explosive airbag that can deploy at speeds 320 kph, which would probably impale you nicely on your own shears."
But she did. Driving a minivan with her loin-spawn in the back, weaving around while trying to use both hands to cut paper. It took me about a block to fully come to grips with my newly decreased faith in humanity - and since this is me, you can imagine how little I had before - finally I just lay on the horn until she decided that arts and crafts hour should not be done while driving.

I swear, it's a good thing I don't own a gun.

... oh wait.

Last edited:
I just was a stupid driver. I worked a lot in the last days and slept very little, so I'm in a state somewhere between on drugs and dead right now. I just drove home and did something which was not very clever, followed by the appropriate result.

So I was coming out of a larger roundabout onto a road with two lanes in each direction, me on left lane. Right in front of me was a huge truck, which kindly changed to the right lane so I can zoom up before the road merges a couple of hunded meters further down. So I accelerate good to make up some ground on the truck. As it seemed however, he was empty, because he accelerated quite quickly as well. So we ended up side by side, both going 60 km/h (38 mph).

Now the fun part begins. There's a long left-hander before the lanes merge, with streetcar rails on the left lane, my lane. And after a few days of dryness, it had just begun to rain. Already know what's coming? So I try to keep my speed up to pass the lorry (which was stupid), and my car starts to swerve left and right massively on the rails. Still, I keep my foot in it (which was even more stupid) just trying to not crash into the huge truck right beside me. Then, my front wheels retain grip on the left side on the tracks while my rear wheels slip on them. The inevitable result: I spin right across the street. Somewhere between dizziness and panic, I just slam the brakes to come to a halt straight across both oncoming lanes. A guy coming up was just able to stop before hitting me. Out of pure luck, I missed the truck and the two traffic islands I somehow managed to slip though between. So I am fine, and so is my car. But a few meters earlier or farther could have looked very baaaaaaaaaaad.

:?

^DAAAAMN. This is why its a bad idea to drive tired, then again sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Got a funny one. Was going to pick up my g/f from work. Waiting to make a left behind a Murano (somehow most people who drive one seem to be one). Now I am BEHIND him and I can see that there is some kind of road works on the road that we are making a left into with a baricade that makes it a one lane instead of a two lane for that direction. Obviously seeing that I am planning on making a tighter turn than I am used to. So light turns yellow and its time for us to turn. The Murano dude turns super wide comming to a halt right in front of the barricade. Mind you the light is green for other cars so his actually blocking the intersection at this point. So I slow down to let him get out of the situation and he does nothing. Since I had the foresight to make a turn much tighter I actually had plenty of space to go around him AND other cars and complete my maneuver.

OOh it's me again. Since its a new occurence I will make a new post.
So today I was minding my own business driving my friend home. While traveling at a leisurely 65-70mph in the middle lane, rocking out to some Basshunter, which I just discovered, while I suddenly feel my spidey sense tingling. I look over to the left and see an older Benz attempt to run into the side of my car as if we were in a demolition derby. Aparently the driver had to take an exit that was comming up so he decided that the only possible way to do it was to merge from the left lane, on a 3 lane road, all the way to the right lane. One minor problem with that plan was my vehicle between him and his destination. Undeterred by such a minor inconvenience he went for it. Mind you when he started his maneuver he was literally next to me as in the front and rear of both cars lined up. Lucky for me, well mostly for him, there were no cars in the right lane so I was able to make a course correction that put me out of harms way. Just to illustrate the dramatic nature of the correction, when I got out of the car to see if there was any damage, I hit a bump in the road and thought that there was minor touching, I smelt my tires, I did absolutely NO braking. The other driver, an older gentleman apologized, so I let him go in peace.

Just for the record, when I come to power I'm eliminating high beams in every motor vehicle in America. 90% of the people driving today can't drive without 9bazillion candlepower turning a dusky country road into the Sahara at Noon. God help them if it's actually dark. Then they've got every light they've got on, and they're right behind your bumper. I've actually been able to turn my lights off, in my car, and still see the flipping road! I'll have the normally lit zone in front of my car looking dim compared to Mr Sun driving five feet off my stern!

High Beams aren't worth it.

^ That would've scared the living bejesus outta me! I don't think I would have been so forgiving, and probably have ranted and raved in his face for some time instead. Much kudos to you for keeping a cool head! :thumbup:

Thanks, no damage to the car == happy me. I was pretty scared I must admit.
Just for the record, when I come to power I'm eliminating high beams in every motor vehicle in America. 90% of the people driving today can't drive without 9bazillion candlepower turning a dusky country road into the Sahara at Noon. God help them if it's actually dark. Then they've got every light they've got on, and they're right behind your bumper. I've actually been able to turn my lights off, in my car, and still see the flipping road! I'll have the normally lit zone in front of my car looking dim compared to Mr Sun driving five feet off my stern!

Hehe. I see alot of that especially on SUV's (luckily my rear window is 20% tint) and I also have seen alot of "light? we don't need no stinking lights!"

My brother loves lights.... he has xenon in all the lights and drives with the fog tits on with low beams all the time... most of the time making a shadow of the car in front, in front of their car in the dark with their lights on trying to fight their own shadow.... Ive told him hes an idiot/cock, but does he listen..? (bmw e39):rolleyes:

driving with fogs and low beams is illegal here and so is xenon in some of the lights

Last edited:

How about no. There are plenty of dangerous roads in this country that are not lit and you NEED highbeams. Every time I visit my cousins in northern NH on the trip down we go down a highway that is pitch black unlit, with sheer drops on the side.

How about no. There are plenty of dangerous roads in this country that are not lit and you NEED highbeams. Every time I visit my cousins in northern NH on the trip down we go down a highway that is pitch black unlit, with sheer drops on the side.

what we need is a system that uses something like GPS to automatically turn off the high beams when close to another moving car.

except the car in front still needs them.

What we need is a system that uses something like GPS to automatically track idiots and warn nearby drivers.